alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I'm eagerly anticipating the possibility of lowering the height and driving around like a sports car most days, but then at the touch of the screen, having a tow suspension set up and yet another touch of the screen, off-road setup, and then also custom for when I tow offroad or do other activities that a preset may not be optimized for but I can fine tune to my desired effect.
And I'm eagerly anticipating the possibility of raising the height!

My residence, in Canada's snow belt, has a 1000'-long laneway. With 4WD and raised ride-height, I could sell my tractor-mounted snowblower!

Which leads to a question. Not sure how the motor at each end in the two-motor would be connected to the drive wheels. From what info on the CT is available, and your knowledge of how Tesla 4WD cars work, can anybody tell whether the CT's traction would be, in effect, "limited slip" side-to-side and front-to-back?

By the same token, are Tesla 4WD cars limited-slip? Are snow tires available for them? And could they be mounted on cheapie rather than Tesla rims?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, front to back is controlled by software, it isn't a hard linkage. I think they currently use an open differential, but if you're really interested in how Tesla has done it (and how they might) the guy to look for (and is everywhere) is Sandy Munro. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj--iMtToRO_cGG_fpmP5XQ

-Crissa

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
If you are getting the trimotor then the rear wheels each have A motor and the front it’s own motor on a limited slip differential but being a truck with high end off-road aspirations, I anticipate ability to go full lock when needed up front.

CTruckTooBig

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TriMotor
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Waiting for that cross country trek Elon proposed.
They do need some testing information published like Rivian. At least shortly before configuration is available would be nice. But so far Tesla is not very forthcoming about that kind of information. But we can hope!

CTruckTooBig

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TriMotor
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
And I'm eagerly anticipating the possibility of raising the height!

My residence, in Canada's snow belt, has a 1000'-long laneway. With 4WD and raised ride-height, I could sell my tractor-mounted snowblower!

Which leads to a question. Not sure how the motor at each end in the two-motor would be connected to the drive wheels. From what info on the CT is available, and your knowledge of how Tesla 4WD cars work, can anybody tell whether the CT's traction would be, in effect, "limited slip" side-to-side and front-to-back?

By the same token, are Tesla 4WD cars limited-slip? Are snow tires available for them? And could they be mounted on cheapie rather than Tesla rims?

Thanks.
So far they do an amazing job with an open differential and computer controlling the brakes on the tire without traction. But that doesn't really mean that will be what they totally use for the CT. Probably depend on motor configurations as well.
Sponsored