Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
What assertion pointing at CT failure are you referring to? I’m curious and would like to see the context.
In an interview with Automotive News shared Sunday, Musk suggested that the company would build a regular truck if the Cybertruck proves a commercial failure.

"It can be a better sports car than a Porsche 911, a better truck than an F- 150, and it's armored and looks sort of kick-ass from the future. That was the goal, recognizing this could be a complete failure. But I wasn't super worried about that because if it turns out nobody wants to buy a weird-looking truck, we'll build a normal truck, no problem. There's lots of normal trucks out there that look pretty much the same; you can hardly tell the difference. And sure, we could just do some copycat truck; that's easy. So that's our fallback strategy." Automotive News podcast: https://www.autonews.com/executives/musk-suggests-tesla-would-build-normal-truck-if-cybertruck-flops
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
All bets are off.

Elon's unequivocal assertion that CT could " fail" stripped all the oxygen out of CT. Tesla's leader has spoken. Elon has moved-on, lost focus or knows something; something substantial enough to change his mind about CT success.

Tesla need to deliver Cybertruck. Then pre-order buyers can get excited. No hype, no assumptions, no comparables nor promises can disprove Elon's " fail" assertion. Talk about " real-time" adaptive features is in no way real for CT. We have no idea how CT will be equipped IF it rolls off a production line. Tesla may vary suspensions and be dynamically equipped by torque measurement. Doubling torque has ever increasing demands on structure than simply settings on a computer screen. I don't see any correlation between the screenshot for comfort Tesla cars and a Cybertruck tri-motor pulling 12000# trailer.

Until proven otherwise all CT bets are off - off the table. Elon has asserted that CT can fail. SO only Tesla can prove otherwise. The people have put their money down on a product that its manufacture leadership sees as a " fail".

Now you and I have to wait and see what " fail" means.
"Fail" Elon made said that when asked about the polarizing design of the CT. It is obvious he didn't fail in the design (how many pre-orders are there?). He hasn't moved on and the fact that he said that Tesla may make a more conventional pickup makes sense. The CT won't appeal to the whole market (or will it?) in the long run so in order to tap into that juicy truck market that is keeping Ford, GM, and that foreign named company previously known as Dodge afloat, it makes sense to have another truck design in mind. Of course, to keep the CT on everyone's mind and not to undermine the sales of it, Elon would be wise to not mention the next truck too much until the success of the CT is assured and everyone exclaims "See? Elon was right!".

Fail... Nope. Not going to happen.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I'm eagerly anticipating the possibility of lowering the height and driving around like a sports car most days, but then at the touch of the screen, having a tow suspension set up and yet another touch of the screen, off-road setup, and then also custom for when I tow offroad or do other activities that a preset may not be optimized for but I can fine tune to my desired effect.
For what it's worth, my Citroen had air suspension that you could height-vary. You could drive it fully lowered (yes, looked good) but there'd be no wheel-travel, making it bumpy. For skirting obstacles you could drive with it raised (a little or a lot) if you took it real easy.

I'm sure the CT's air suspension will be advanced over my car's of 60 years ago, but there might still be only the one height-setting for driving.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
For what it's worth, my Citroen had air suspension that you could height-vary. You could drive it fully lowered (yes, looked good) but there'd be no wheel-travel, making it bumpy. For skirting obstacles you could drive with it raised (a little or a lot) if you took it real easy.

I'm sure the CT's air suspension will be advanced over my car's of 60 years ago, but there might still be only the one height-setting for driving.
I'm pretty sure I've already seen many articles where it was talked about having many different height settings depending on situation. IIRC, the current Tesla's already ride lower for certain drive modes. I am without doubt that the CT will have different ride heights while driving.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I've already seen many articles where it was talked about having many different height settings depending on situation. IIRC, the current Tesla's already ride lower for certain drive modes. I am without doubt that the CT will have different ride heights while driving.
Could well be! And I'll take it either way.

Wonder if it will offer what the Citroen did. To change a wheel, put susp full up, then put the supplied strut under side with the flat. Then putting susp full down would leave the flat off the ground. (Came without a jack because the car would in effect jack itself up for you.)

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Wonder if it will offer what the Citroen did. To change a wheel, put susp full up, then put the supplied strut under side with the flat. Then putting susp full down would leave the flat off the ground. (Came without a jack because the car would in effect jack itself up for you.)
I think people are hoping that you can just have it 'retract' one wheel while the others are fully extended, thus lowering the number of times you would need a jack to change a flat.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Lowered looks good to me.
frontlowered.jpg
Okay... not typically a fan of lowered vehicles and especially not trucks but man, I can imagine coming out from work and there is my badass Cybertruck hunkered down for ease of entry. I'm offering a ride to a coworker who hasn't been in a Tesla yet. We get in, I hit the brake and the truck raises up, towering over the cars around it. The feeling of rising above it all is almost overwhelming. My coworker begins to weep openly.

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
All bets are off.

Elon's unequivocal assertion that CT could " fail" stripped all the oxygen out of CT. Tesla's leader has spoken. Elon has moved-on, lost focus or knows something; something substantial enough to change his mind about CT success.

Tesla need to deliver Cybertruck. Then pre-order buyers can get excited. No hype, no assumptions, no comparables nor promises can disprove Elon's " fail" assertion. Talk about " real-time" adaptive features is in no way real for CT. We have no idea how CT will be equipped IF it rolls off a production line. Tesla may vary suspensions and be dynamically equipped by torque measurement. Doubling torque has ever increasing demands on structure than simply settings on a computer screen. I don't see any correlation between the screenshot for comfort Tesla cars and a Cybertruck tri-motor pulling 12000# trailer.

Until proven otherwise all CT bets are off - off the table. Elon has asserted that CT can fail. SO only Tesla can prove otherwise. The people have put their money down on a product that its manufacture leadership sees as a " fail".

Now you and I have to wait and see what " fail" means.
Ok so I'm not sure if you read the entire quote from Elon. He said that they did no consumer testing for the design of the truck and that at the time he realized that it could fail and they would just build a normal truck. Obviously... after half a million or more pre-orders it is not a failure.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or if you misread his quote. I'll tell you this, all of the articles that used that quote after the original came out were total click-bait and used his quote out of context.

TL;DR

Elon said that at the time of designing the CT that it was possible that no one would want a futuristic looking truck and that it could fail and they'd have to build a vanilla truck. He did not say... this week... after a half a million or more pre-orders that he thought it could fail.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Ok so I'm not sure if you read the entire quote from Elon. He said that they did no consumer testing for the design of the truck and that at the time he realized that it could fail and they would just build a normal truck. Obviously... after half a million or more pre-orders it is not a failure.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or if you misread his quote. I'll tell you this, all of the articles that used that quote after the original came out were total click-bait and used his quote out of context.

TL;DR

Elon said that at the time of designing the CT that it was possible that no one would want a futuristic looking truck and that it could fail and they'd have to build a vanilla truck. He did not say... this week... after a half a million or more pre-orders that he thought it could fail.
goodnews then… Elon is onboard the CT and not second guessing the design brief

Deleted member 3884

I've been Googling being able to change suspension heights this morning. One site said it can be a difference of 10 cm or about 4 inches.
Here is my thing. the specs on the CT say it's 75 inches tall. My garage opening with the door up is 80 inches. The inside garage door handle is about 2 inches tall. So that leaves 3 inches of clearance. It will be close, but I think I can make it. Is the 75 inches at the highest or lowest height? I know no one probably knows that, just me thinking.

My garage is extra deep so length isn't a problem. Width it's about 6 inches wider than my Impala, that should be ok too. My wife drives an Equinox, both should fit in the garage. I've been taking measurements like crazy to see if it will fit.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
My understanding is that 75" is the midpoint in the suspension height.

And if it had only a 4" range instead of the 8", that most likely means it drops down to 73".

Until Tesla releases more information, that is about as good as it gets.

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
I've been Googling being able to change suspension heights this morning. One site said it can be a difference of 10 cm or about 4 inches.
Here is my thing. the specs on the CT say it's 75 inches tall. My garage opening with the door up is 80 inches. The inside garage door handle is about 2 inches tall. So that leaves 3 inches of clearance. It will be close, but I think I can make it. Is the 75 inches at the highest or lowest height? I know no one probably knows that, just me thinking.

My garage is extra deep so length isn't a problem. Width it's about 6 inches wider than my Impala, that should be ok too. My wife drives an Equinox, both should fit in the garage. I've been taking measurements like crazy to see if it will fit.
Like Idjessee said I think the 75 inches is at the "standard" suspension setting. I'm sure there will be settings for loading (front high, back low) and easy entry (front low, back low) like the Ram air suspension. I Imagine you'll be able to park it that way too. I hope anyway. it sounds like you'll be able to get it in there in the standard position anyway so you're good to go!

My hope is you'll be able to manually override ride height unless it creates a safety issue. For example the Ram air suspension allows you to travel in "high" or "off road" mode up to 30 mph I believe because it creates instability at speeds above that. I personally would like a highway mode that slams it to nearly the lowest in the range above 55 mph to conserve range (unless you're towing or something that requires a standard or custom height).

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It really is, I've been thinking about it how bouncy my F350 super diesel is all day every day and daydreaming about how smooth and quiet my CT will be. Can't wait.
I only have air suspension on the rear of my Nissan but it’s so good to be able to inflate for extra carrying capacity or let some air out for comfort.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
You're right -- I should have read this thread's first post more carefully.
Sponsored