Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Sorry, typo... it was 5AM and I haven't slept well or had coffee yet.
Sponsored

mje

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Internet Provider
Country flag
So I called that one - Cybertruck at 800V+
The V3 250KVA Supercharger has a "1000V" label on the back - so I don't see why a Software Upgrade can't bring them to charge at up to 1000V. There is simply no point at the moment - as Tesla has no vehicles that charge at that speed.
I wonder if any of the non-Tesla vehicles that can charge at 800V in Europe though have tested this?
I would assume that the same connector will be used - as Tesla recently stated it can run at 1MW (or so)... have not seen any pictures of anything different yet.
Anyway - I guess we'll know in a few more months.
The 1000V architecture means potentially thinner wires - so a slight weight reduction and less copper use. I expect the vehicle may use a lot less miles of other copper wiring too.
Can't wait!

Looking at the Semi with driver in the middle, I wonder if the Cybertruck steering yoke and pedals can perhaps easily swap between left and right hand drive configurations?

TPEdwards

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P85D, Model Y LR
Occupation
IT Manager
Country flag
That’s all we use to charge our Model Y. It easily charges the batteries overnight. No need for a wall connector and the expenses involved.
What's funny is that the expense to install NEMA 14-50 can be more expensive than installing the HPWC. Why? NEMA 14-50 takes three conductors + ground. HPWC needs only two conductors + ground. I recommend NEMA 6-50, which only takes two conductors + ground especially if the panel is far from the installation point. With HPWC gen 3 at only $400 and mobile charger at $200 (neither included) it is not much more for HPWC these days.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Just a thought that came to my mind today, earlier today. You can’t steal the idea Tesla because I freely give it. If the put their cars in the correct order and snap a picture we see the S3XY. If they elevate the shot and add the Semi to the end after Y it should look like S3XY! With the Semi making a very very large exclamation point.
OR,
S
X
Y
Cybertruck
ATV
Roadster
Semi

S3XYCARS

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I think I disagree, there is a C-Rate cell level limitation on charging (otherwise you will damage the cell):
1669956023398.png

C-Rate (peak 2.5) of the new Model S Plaid is even lower (18650 cells):
1669956370814.png

Semi has 1000kWh so its about 12-13x the amount of batteries as a Model 3 LR. Model 3 LR does about 3.0 peak C-Rate. That means Semi peak power @ charging while maintaining the same peak C-Rate would be 12 x 250kW = 3 MW. Average C-Rate is usually between 1.4-1.7 ~125kW. That's not factoring in all the massive cooling required for the Semi and it probably gets a lot hotter a lot faster.

That being said. Cybertruck may see a peak charging power of ~625kW (if 187kWh size pack). We are looking at around ~500kW peak if the pack size is 150kWh. Tesla will of course dial that pack to increase longevity of the battery pack. Would love to see CT hit speeds about 400kW, its certainly possible! But 1000kW is far-fetched.
*... with current battery tech.

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT trimotor, '21 MY LR AWD 7 seater, '21 M3 LR AWD
Country flag
That's not true. My 80kWh battery is charged at 250kW until the cutoff if it's properly conditioned.

I want to make sure we subvert expectations, more likely CT will be capable of 300-400kW charging, not 1MW. There is a cell level limitation on C-rate for charging. Semi can get away with it because it is 1000kWh - whereas CT will be ~130-200kWh

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
C'mon, people, that's not what Elon said. The amount of energy a battery can accept is limited by the battery. Making it compatible with the same chargers the Semi will use does NOT imply the Cybertruck will be able to accept Semi levels of current!

Please stop with this nonsense!
Right! Tesla should find a company that makes batteries and ask them for their expertise. Maybe someone there will understand battery chemistry and... wait a second... doesn't Tesla have someone who does battery stuff? I think they just might. I wonder if, now bear with me a second here, Tesla just might be working on a battery chemistry that is different than current battery chemistry and maybe that new battery chemistry will make better batteries than are currentlly available. I dunno. Maybe they are trying to make batteries that charge slower than current batteries.

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
What's funny is that the expense to install NEMA 14-50 can be more expensive than installing the HPWC. Why? NEMA 14-50 takes three conductors + ground. HPWC needs only two conductors + ground. I recommend NEMA 6-50, which only takes two conductors + ground especially if the panel is far from the installation point. With HPWC gen 3 at only $400 and mobile charger at $200 (neither included) it is not much more for HPWC these days.
Except you left out the upgraded wire (4ga vs 6ga) that you should be installing for a HPWC for 48A or more. If you run only the two connector wire you basically handicap yourself down the road vs 6/3 or 4/3.

4ga Copper Wire is almost DOUBLE 6ga currently.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck 1000V Architecture + V4 Supercharging Confirmed!! ⚡️ "It's Going to be Used for Cybertruck Too" - Elon Musk 1669990911056

Very happy with my NEMA 14-50 setup for 4+ years now and is more future proof for non-Tesla EV's. Currently waiting on a Fisker Ocean Extreme in 2023. 🤞

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Right! Tesla should find a company that makes batteries and ask them for their expertise. Maybe someone there will understand battery chemistry and... wait a second... doesn't Tesla have someone who does battery stuff? I think they just might. I wonder if, now bear with me a second here, Tesla just might be working on a battery chemistry that is different than current battery chemistry and maybe that new battery chemistry will make better batteries than are currentlly available. I dunno. Maybe they are trying to make batteries that charge slower than current batteries.
Lol, I believe you watch "solving the money problem" on youtube. Only thing missing is the constant f-bomb or braindead.

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
I wonder if they are going to offer a newer version of the at home chargers.
I'm building a Toy Hauler Luxury conversion with 8kWatts of Solar and 112kWh of storage specifically to "charge enough to get to a SuperCharger" with the CyberTruck

I'm keenly interested in what Tesla will allow/provide for self-charging.

I'm also hoping for an umbilical option, where I can connect the CyberTruck to Taj-Ma-Haul and bilaterally charge from and to the battery pack.

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The 1,000v architecture announcement was very exciting to hear.

The Semi is equipped with three electric motors. I was a bit surprised to hear that the Semi basically runs off one Plaid electric motor the majority of the time. That in itself is pretty incredible.

I think the Semi has been their most ambitious engineering vehicle project to date. The fact that they went from a concept to a production truck in only 60 months is pretty amazing. Using a lot of off the shelf components was the key.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I want to make sure we subvert expectations, more likely CT will be capable of 300-400kW charging, not 1MW. There is a cell level limitation on C-rate for charging. Semi can get away with it because it is 1000kWh - whereas CT will be ~130-200kWh
I was joking with my angry reaction, but you're really harshing my mellow with facts here. LOL
Sponsored