Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Whew! I guess hailstorms have gotten worse what with climate disruption and all.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Starship makes hail. Concrete hail.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
On a separate thread RE the glass, I’d come across this RE the Tesla patent for the CT

“In some embodiments, the multilayer glass stack has at most a, or about a, 10% chance of failure with an impact of, or of about, 1 J, 1.5 J, 2 J, 2.5 J, 3 J, 3.2 J, 3.5 J, 3.8, J, 3.9 J, 4 J, 4.5 J, 5 J or 6 J, or any range of values therebetween. In some embodiments, the multilayer glass stack has at most a, or about a, 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%, 6%, 8%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60% or 70% chance of failure, or any range of values therebetween, with an impact of, or of about, 3 J. “

Which is to say Tesla’s patent is expectedly over-broad in it’s possible “embodiments”

In response, Mother Nature is equally variable and “hold my beer”

“According to the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (IACHI), the impact measured in joules, a unit of energy. IACHI says for instance, that 2-inch hailstone, falling at 72 mph, will carry 29.8 joules of impact energy…. The IACHI says a [baseball] sized hailstone would clock in at 162.7 joules, meaning a baseball sized hailstone impacting an object would do so with roughly the same amount of energy as the MLB’s fastest ever pitch. [A 19-inch hailstone in recorded in Vivian, S.D.]would carry around 193,897 joules of impact energy.”

which is all to say, when it comes to the question of how will the glass - or the SS - fare?

better than traditional materials, but also not up to a point does that matter
I don't know why you Americans have to take everything to the extreme. Super sized hail, tornadoes and heat wave. And then all that at once. :eek:

In the single and even double digit joules range an old mattress would help against hail. As would a full size sandwich panel with some integrated shock absorbsion, or a kevlar tent on a high sided a frame would work as well. It would just deflect the hail sideways into the car next to it. It's common for armoured vehicles to have flat angled panels to deflect, rather than absorb projectile energy. The CT would be good for that from the side, but vertically from above is more of a challenge.

But single and double digit joules range is pretty useless for even 22lr calibre munitions (170J) let alone 9mm (650J) or a 308 (3500J). This is because as a metric, joules doesn't consider the structure or geometry of the materials or how that level of joules is transferred between them. In that regard a camo wrap for the CT, with even just 3-4 layers of kevlar would stop rounds much much better than the SS alone. This is because the tensile strength of kevlar is around 3600MPa and SS is only around 600MPa. You could even have clip on panel armour, given how simple the shape is to cover. The windows will always be the weak spot though, especially if you can't make it thick. Those flameless doors will also be hard to fix.

Overall though, you can only plan for "most likely" and not every extreme, otherwise you quickly end up in a underground bunker and never leaving it. The best way is simply to be agile enough never to be in a high risk area long enough for something bad to happen. Risk management 1:1.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think the launchpad destruction surprised Elon and his Space X engineering team.
I wasn't surprised it destroyed the pad, just surprised how extensive the damage was. The dust plume said it all though. I helped with the cleanup so to speak, and have a peice of fondag as a souvenir.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
yes of course

and for the same reasons, seeing the patent for info about Tesla’s discrete plans is only nominally helpful

the patent is actually broad enough that I can’t make out a single separate component that sounds novel: from numbers of layers, to composition, etc., it all sounds done before to someone that isn’t a glass manu expert
I think you are right, but I am also not a chemist so I do not know how the patent office sees novelty in this area. If they are awarded the patent that would be something.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think you are right, but I am also not a chemist so I do not know how the patent office sees novelty in this area. If they are awarded the patent that would be something.
and, people may sometimes be underwhelmed to discover what little variance it takes to have a patent, and that patents need not describe a new outcome, only a slightly different way to get to the exact same outcome. In this respect, Tesla's glass itself may not do anything new.

to say nothing of companies creating massive patent portfolios primarily for the purpose of having a patent arsenal, not a patentable product:

Company A has 100 patents, only 5 of which it cares about. Company B has a 100 patents, only 5 of which it cares about, the other 95 are patent arsenal. Company A sues Company B for infringement of a patent Company A cares about, patent # A2. In response, Company B surveys its patent arsenal and discovers vaguely colorable claims that Company A has infringed on Company B's arsenal patents B78 and B88, so Company B counter-sues only to change the risk of Company A continuing its suit.

Companies even just go out and buy hundreds of patents off the shelf, only to stock their arsenals for patent defense.

it's such a strange economy

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
Cybertruck is certified (by me) against the worst hailstorm you can imagine. Even golf ball size hail ain't gonna do shit to 3mm of cold rolled stainless steel awesomeness. I'd even say the CT will fare way better than any other production vehicle, and as good as any armored vehicle. Just imagine a parking lot full of cars during a crazy hailstorm, the only vehicle unscathed is gonna be the CT.
Dare I say, "All hail CT?" :D
I live in Texas where golf ball sized hail isn't that unusual, baseball is rare.. and softball happens... we have had bigger but once it gets beyond softball who cares..

so don't EVEN think you can touch what MY imagination can conceive!!

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
On a separate thread RE the glass, I’d come across this RE the Tesla patent for the CT

“In some embodiments, the multilayer glass stack has at most a, or about a, 10% chance of failure with an impact of, or of about, 1 J, 1.5 J, 2 J, 2.5 J, 3 J, 3.2 J, 3.5 J, 3.8, J, 3.9 J, 4 J, 4.5 J, 5 J or 6 J, or any range of values therebetween. In some embodiments, the multilayer glass stack has at most a, or about a, 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%, 6%, 8%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60% or 70% chance of failure, or any range of values therebetween, with an impact of, or of about, 3 J. “

Which is to say Tesla’s patent is expectedly over-broad in it’s possible “embodiments”

In response, Mother Nature is equally variable and “hold my beer”

“According to the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (IACHI), the impact measured in joules, a unit of energy. IACHI says for instance, that 2-inch hailstone, falling at 72 mph, will carry 29.8 joules of impact energy…. The IACHI says a [baseball] sized hailstone would clock in at 162.7 joules, meaning a baseball sized hailstone impacting an object would do so with roughly the same amount of energy as the MLB’s fastest ever pitch. [A 19-inch hailstone in recorded in Vivian, S.D.]would carry around 193,897 joules of impact energy.”

which is all to say, when it comes to the question of how will the glass - or the SS - fare?

better than traditional materials, but also not up to a point does that matter
A 9mm at 25 yards has ~475 joules of energy for reference

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
...Solar panels are not the fragile things of decades past.

-Crissa
You caught me I definitely do not know anything about solar panel durability. These are just decorative packages stacked in one of several large empty offices. Its this new Feng Shui technique ive been trying out.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck 3mm body: hail resistant? IMG_6632

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You caught me I definitely do not know anything about solar panel durability. These are just decorative packages stacked in one of several large empty offices. Its this new Feng Shui technique ive been trying out.

IMG_6632.jpeg
...Then you should know they're pretty durable now a days? Like, I have different panels from about every five years for the last twenty and the newest of them are basically indestructible by hail.

❓

-Crissa
Sponsored