Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
CCS 2016 compliant
Sorry @Crissa, I'm not up on my CCS compliance. Does CCS 2016 require the charger to be able handle 900VDC systems? (I tried a cursory google search. I didn't find the answer, got lazy and decided to ask)
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
3% transformer loss is dandy, while Musk is trying to squeeze out another almost 1% of motor efficiency and we all applaud that. Funny shit. Carry on.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
3% transformer loss is dandy, while Musk is trying to squeeze out another almost 1% of motor efficiency and we all applaud that. Funny shit. Carry on.
1% motor efficiency improvement is not a lot generally, but when you're trying to scrape up every last mile of range in an EV, you work hard for even small improvements.

2-3% loss on the charging circuit will have no impact on vehicle range and insignificant impact on electrical cost and charging time (if any).

msdg137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
So double the voltage of the traditional battery means we will likely have a double DC charge to two 450v battery packs at the supercharger.
This also means it would likely only charge one at a time and could possibly split the power between motors based on demand and charge level. Dynamic charging and battery distribution would be great. Especially if they make two 450v battery segments that can be swapped out separately if needed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So double the voltage of the traditional battery means we will likely have a double DC charge to two 450v battery packs at the supercharger.
This also means it would likely only charge one at a time and could possibly split the power between motors based on demand and charge level. Dynamic charging and battery distribution would be great. Especially if they make two 450v battery segments that can be swapped out separately if needed.
kWh are the same size, no matter the voltage. It would not.

We'll see more across the next six months. Everything points to a year from now, now.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
now, now.
lol
Now, now…
Actually I agree with you though.

Not that I’m getting mine in 1 year though. My estimated position is something like 250k.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The higher voltage will also mean the powertrain can generate more torque. In a towing or off-roading scenario, this would be a welcome addition. Tesla has also stated that the 900 volt configuration only really makes sense for larger vehicles (Semi and CT) and that it is not cost effective for the 3 or Y.
Have you even driven the torquiest 430 volt Tesla's? More torque is only good for bragging rights, current Tesla's produce more torque than the tires can handle.

There are advantages and disadvantages to going to higher voltages. From a pragmatic perspective the advantages are not worth the disadvantages. The reason some of those trying to compete with Tesla did it was because they were on a mission to try to make something as good as a Tesla and they knew they needed every advantage they could muster because they couln't hope to equal or best Tesla using the same voltage. Tesla's designs were too elegant and too mature - they needed some kind of edge. It's such a small edge the Porsche Taycan still can't beat the 430 volt Tesla Plaid. Not in acceleration, not in efficiency, not in range and not in price. That's how small the 900V advantage is.

All that said, it will probably make sense on the Tesla Semi. Will they do it on the Cybertruck? I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it.

msdg137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
kWh are the same size, no matter the voltage. It would not.

We'll see more across the next six months. Everything points to a year from now, now.

-Crissa
That's a bummer I was hoping it could be two packs, double kwh or close to it. Parallel or series depending on demand, doubling range or power as needed. A dynamic battery.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's a bummer I was hoping it could be two packs, double kwh or close to it. Parallel or series depending on demand, doubling range or power as needed. A dynamic battery.
The demo long range tri-motor was to have a double pack, according to insiders, but we have no way of verifying that.

Raising the voltage doesn't decrease the volume of batteries needed per kWh, either.

The major advantages of a higher voltage are: less copper needed, less heat generated per kW, and more voltage drop tolerated.

-Crissa

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
Maybe this is what semi super chargers use, and that would lead to what I've suggested in the past... Semi super chargers with pull through stations for use with CT.
For sure I will need pull through charging as I will be full-time pulling a toy hauler.

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag