Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I read these different replies and simply shake my head. There is no way Tesla can build a new factory that can support a completely new innovation product line AND deliver the product in roughly 1.5 years. I am not surprised at all that Elon moved the deadline again.
Again?

They moved it once. About 3 weeks ago they updated the site. They haven't changed the date since then. It hadn't gotten moved prior to that.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This sucks. Wonder how many people will jump to F 150 Lightning due to the wait. I'm sure several.
If you haven't already pre-ordered the Ford, you won't be driving it for 3+ years either. Their wait list is much smaller, but their production numbers are even smaller yet.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I'm one of them I'm done waiting for the cybertruck

Since I probably won't get my CT until mid 2024 or later the Boss Lady and I went shopping for a newer truck to replace her aged 2004 Dodge 3500 dually.
We made a 200 mile round trip yesterday and the beast is starting to have issues. Since I don't want to have to worry about her being broken down on the side of the road we are just going to bite the bullet. A working farm needs a dependable work horse.
We found a 2020 that looks promising. The dealer is going to replace the standard bed with a flatbed if we buy it.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ford is scheduled to produce 15,000 F150s next year; 40,000 in 2023; and ~80k in 2024. Thatā€™s Fordā€™s estimates. Ford also estimated they would produce 50,000 Mach Es in 2021 and they have barely cracked 20,000.

Tesla is producing EVs at a rate of just shy of 1m per year right now. Ford is struggling to get 20k out the door.

If Ford gets 20,000 of their first 120k pre-orders out the door before the Cybertruck is shipping Iā€™ll be shocked. Ford needs to build a factory and a battery facility before they can launch F150 2.0. They havenā€™t even broken ground on that.

Ford will likely have an 8 month lead on Tesla, maybe less. Tesla might still out-produce them in 2022.

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
I'm happy to wait until 2023-2025 (given my late reservation). I already have a 3/4 ton truck and a couple BEVs, so I am not desperate for a specific vehicle. I will only be in a better financial position when my CT is ready.
I am in the same position. I would like to have a CT sooner but I'm happy to wait for a tested perfected product.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The fact that they will have 4680 production ramped up to 10GW fast enough o start production of the Model Y is huge to me.
Elon did say that 4680 cell production at Giga Texas would be at full volume next year.

He blamed supply chain issues on delay of CT and Semi.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
This sucks. Wonder how many people will jump to F 150 Lightning due to the wait. I'm sure several.
If today you order both the Tesla Cybertruck & Ford F-150 Lightning, you will probably receive the Cybertruck way before Ford ships you a Lightning and the Cybertruck will be much better value.

TriKKyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi Q7 Prestige
Iā€™ve pre-ordered both. Regardless of everything, I wonā€™t cancel CT order. That said, pretending this will be the final delay feels foolish given past records. Totally new product, not iterative like MY.

My plan is that, once my number comes up for Lightning, Iā€™ll gauge how far off CT is. If I believe the tracker, Iā€™ll get my CT roughly 7 months after first shipment. If CT is looking like itā€™s not going to start production until late 2023, Iā€™ll pull trigger on Lightning. When CT comes Iā€™ll either ditch Lightning or sell CT (donā€™t know why I would as itā€™s better).

My main issue is really my current car. My car hits 5 years at the end of 2022 when my warranty expires. I donā€™t want to own my car (ā€˜18 Audi Q7) out of warranty. If not for that Iā€™d just wait for CT.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Totally agree it sucks... but they've been hinting around this for months. I'm way past grief and well into acceptance now.
at lol not with Fords production rate. by 2023 there will still be more Rivians out there than F150.
Sponsored