Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Cybertruck doesn’t need paint, but this shows the speed and progress of its birthplace, Giga Texas.
———————————————————————————

Tesla Giga Texas production moves closer as paint shop machinery arrives
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-giga-texas-paint-shop-machinery-video-flyover/
March 2, 2021

The initial production runs at Tesla’s Giga Texas facility are moving closer to reality. A new drone video from a local resident shows Giga Texas’s paint shop facility is set to begin construction soon as paint application machinery has arrived on site.

With Tesla scheduled to begin production at Giga Texas later this year, crews are on-site daily to complete what will be Tesla’s largest production facility to date. One of Giga Texas’s primary focuses is completing the work of the main structure, which appears to be coming along at a reasonably fast pace, something Tesla has displayed at its other manufacturing facilities in China and Germany. With Giga Texas several months into construction, specific areas of the facility are beginning to be erected as the first production runs move closer with every passing day.

A new shipment of containers was spotted at the facility on Monday evening by YouTube channel Terafactory Texas, who spotted seven large boxes that appear to be housing several elements of what will be the Giga Texas paint shop.

Three of the containers say “TC Mod, while three others say “E-Coat.” The final container says “Top Coat,” meaning all seven containers are likely headed to the paint shop as their descriptions align with machinery that would be found within an automotive paint application facility.

E-Coat, or electrocoating, also known as electropainting in some regions, is a process used in automotive paint shops everywhere. For several years, Tesla has used this process as evidence points to a 2012 blog post from the electric car manufacturer.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck deliveries based on progress of Giga Texas tesla-giga-texas-paint-shop-containers

Credit: Terafactory Texas | YouTube
The company detailed its paint process to ensure quality and corrosion protection:

“First, a Body-in-White is submerged into our pre-treatment bath where the aluminum gets prepared for its first treatment layer. We then dip Model S into a 75,000-gallon tank of advanced electro-coating solution to enhance the appearance of subsequent paint layers. After this e-coat dip, the car goes through a 350° F oven to ensure a “baked on” protection against corrosion.”

E-Coating is a process that has been used for around 50 years, according to ClearClad.com. Originally used to apply an anti-corrosive coating to steel car bodies, the process is now used for various consumer goods like hardware, jewelry, eyeglass frames, and giftware, among several other things. Electrical activity around the vehicle’s surface makes paint resin stick directly to a surface, creating a strong bond between the car and the paint.

TC Mod could stand for “temperature control module,” which would indicate that these containers are carrying HVAC units that are ideal for paint shops. In order for paint to have a strong bond and set correctly on an automotive body, it must be applied and dried in certain conditions. These modules would ensure that Tesla’s paint application process is done at correct temperatures, eliminating any possibility of a weak paint application.

Tesla has worked extremely hard to improve the quality of its paint shops. After paint quality was among the most common complaints from owners, Tesla managed to revamp its facility at the Fremont factory last year as the pandemic slowed production. Several applications acquired by Teslarati showed that Tesla was working to increase fire protection efforts within the paint shop, among some other projects. It worked, as the paint has improved according to some owners, including veteran teardown expert Sandy Munro, who was extremely impressed with the quality of his Model 3’s paint job during a recent drive across the country.

Giga Texas is expected to handle Model 3 and Model Y production for the Eastern half of North America. It will also manufacture the Tesla Cybertruck in either late 2021 or early 2022.
Sponsored

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Cybertruck doesn’t need paint, but this shows the speed and progress of its birthplace, Giga Texas.
———————————————————————————

Tesla Giga Texas production moves closer as paint shop machinery arrives
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-giga-texas-paint-shop-machinery-video-flyover/
March 2, 2021

The initial production runs at Tesla’s Giga Texas facility are moving closer to reality. A new drone video from a local resident shows Giga Texas’s paint shop facility is set to begin construction soon as paint application machinery has arrived on site.

With Tesla scheduled to begin production at Giga Texas later this year, crews are on-site daily to complete what will be Tesla’s largest production facility to date. One of Giga Texas’s primary focuses is completing the work of the main structure, which appears to be coming along at a reasonably fast pace, something Tesla has displayed at its other manufacturing facilities in China and Germany. With Giga Texas several months into construction, specific areas of the facility are beginning to be erected as the first production runs move closer with every passing day.

A new shipment of containers was spotted at the facility on Monday evening by YouTube channel Terafactory Texas, who spotted seven large boxes that appear to be housing several elements of what will be the Giga Texas paint shop.

Three of the containers say “TC Mod, while three others say “E-Coat.” The final container says “Top Coat,” meaning all seven containers are likely headed to the paint shop as their descriptions align with machinery that would be found within an automotive paint application facility.

E-Coat, or electrocoating, also known as electropainting in some regions, is a process used in automotive paint shops everywhere. For several years, Tesla has used this process as evidence points to a 2012 blog post from the electric car manufacturer.

“First, a Body-in-White is submerged into our pre-treatment bath where the aluminum gets prepared for its first treatment layer. We then dip Model S into a 75,000-gallon tank of advanced electro-coating solution to enhance the appearance of subsequent paint layers. After this e-coat dip, the car goes through a 350° F oven to ensure a “baked on” protection against corrosion.”

E-Coating is a process that has been used for around 50 years, according to ClearClad.com. Originally used to apply an anti-corrosive coating to steel car bodies, the process is now used for various consumer goods like hardware, jewelry, eyeglass frames, and giftware, among several other things. Electrical activity around the vehicle’s surface makes paint resin stick directly to a surface, creating a strong bond between the car and the paint.

TC Mod could stand for “temperature control module,” which would indicate that these containers are carrying HVAC units that are ideal for paint shops. In order for paint to have a strong bond and set correctly on an automotive body, it must be applied and dried in certain conditions. These modules would ensure that Tesla’s paint application process is done at correct temperatures, eliminating any possibility of a weak paint application.

Giga Texas is expected to handle Model 3 and Model Y production for the Eastern half of North America. It will also manufacture the Tesla Cybertruck in either late 2021 or early 2022.
Obviously the paint shop deliveries are for the Model Y, and probably Model 3.

So my assumption is that when the plant does get completed....like when it has floors, walls and roofs, the early activity this fall will be building the Model Y and Model 3.

Elon said it would be a miracle if any CTs were built this year, and CT production would really start in 2022. Good to see the plant is coming along though.

mlee168

First Name
Mon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Plugin
Country flag
Obviously the paint shop deliveries are for the Model Y, and probably Model 3.

So my assumption is that when the plant does get completed....like when it has floors, walls and roofs, the early activity this fall will be building the Model Y and Model 3.

Elon said it would be a miracle if any CTs were built this year, and CT production would really start in 2022. Good to see the plant is coming along though.
I agree with your assessment. I heard somewhere that the Model Y will be produce first at the factory follow by the Cyber Truck and/or the Model 3. I don't expect my delivery till 2023 (~400K mark on the reservation list for a tri-motor.)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I agree with you.

I think they might build 400-500 CTs in December 2021 just to say they delivered some in 2021. Then maybe build 75,000 in 2022 as they ramp up. With full production in 2023.

Cmon Elon! LOL
And I thought I was a pessimist. To you guys I am an optimist. When I look at the building progress I see them being able to close one of the buildings by the end of April and someone (I refuse to say whom, but not me) said that Tesla can start building vehicles 4 months after they get walls and floors in. If that is true they can start making vehicles by the end of August. This is in line with their published schedule for Model Ys. The limiting factor on making CTs will be the delivery, installation, and testing of the 8,000-ton gigapress, but I believe (and I am highly risk averse) they will be able to ramp up production of CTs early in 2022 if not before. This also follows published schedules. So, I can eat my words a year from now, or you guys can. I am sure you would be happy to, so lets see how it all goes down.

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And I thought I was a pessimist. To you guys I am an optimist. When I look at the building progress I see them being able to close one of the buildings by the end of April and someone (I refuse to say whom, but not me) said that Tesla can start building vehicles 4 months after they get walls and floors in. If that is true they can start making vehicles by the end of August. This is in line with their published schedule for Model Ys. The limiting factor on making CTs will be the delivery, installation, and testing of the 8,000-ton gigapress, but I believe (and I am highly risk averse) they will be able to ramp up production of CTs early in 2022 if not before. This also follows published schedules. So, I can eat my words a year from now, or you guys can. I am sure you would be happy to, so lets see how it all goes down.
Yes the Texas plant will be making Model Ys by the end of August.
And Elon said it they would have to get incredible lucky to make an CTs in 2021.
But that production would start in 2022.
I agree with all that., that is what I said.

Now, when I will get my TriMotor is a total unknown. If I am Mister 325,000 in line, and assuming more than half of the orders drop out, I am still looking at 2023 before mine will be built. The only thing I can guarantee is that I will not be taking delivery of my CT one year from today.

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm guessing they'll get 50K out in 2022 and a few thousand out in 2021.

...I want to be wrong ^-^

-Crissa
If Tesla only gets 50,000 CyberTrucks out by the end of 2022, and there are about 650,000 on the waiting list....people are going to be waiting a long time in some cases.

Fvansan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma and pre-ordered a cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
Retired Psychiatric Social Worker
Country flag
Don't worry. The dollar will be crashing soon. Massive Joe Biden goverment handouts are coming and the dollar is expected to crash and hyperinflation is being predicted for 2022 with the real crash happening in 2023. By the time your order is ready I think we will be on even turf or your Canadian dollar might even beat the greenback.

Let's keep politics out of this.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
If Tesla only gets 50,000 CyberTrucks out by the end of 2022, and there are about 650,000 on the waiting list....people are going to be waiting a long time in some cases.
I am one of those people and I have no idea how I got here. For most of my life I only bought stuff that either existed in front of my eyes or at most existed in my mailbox several days down the road. How did we get into buying things that may never exist? I think we are all addicted to dreaming. It is a pleasant insanity we reinforce together but where does it end? When CT becomes real, there will be another dream around the corner. Will you cancel your reservation and wait for that dream or get real? If you can get real then, why can’t you get real now? Am I the only one struggling with the thought of putting something in my driveway now and forgetting about it? Or I am the weak link you are counting on to cancel so you can get yours earlier?

I think I need a therapist......

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yes the Texas plant will be making Model Ys by the end of August.
And Elon said it they would have to get incredible lucky to make an CTs in 2021.
But that production would start in 2022.
I agree with all that., that is what I said.

Now, when I will get my TriMotor is a total unknown. If I am Mister 325,000 in line, and assuming more than half of the orders drop out, I am still looking at 2023 before mine will be built. The only thing I can guarantee is that I will not be taking delivery of my CT one year from today.
Your numbers may be right; I just think it is pessimistic. I want to believe that with such a large plant, and such an ‘easy’ build, that if they get their large Giga press they can turn out more than 75,000 CTs in 2022. Maybe not. I just don’t want to wait that long.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Model S 70D, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss, .....
Country flag
IMO, if they cant turn out at least 100k CTs in 2022 there will be a LOT of unhappy people who may go in other directions either by choice or will be forced to due to vehicle needs.

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IMO, if they cant turn out at least 100k CTs in 2022 there will be a LOT of unhappy people who may go in other directions either by choice or will be forced to due to vehicle needs.
You are probably right.
Note. Tesla has not made any projections of how many they will produce/deliver in 2022. 100,000 vehicles of a brand new model from a brand new factory might be its ceiling.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Model S 70D, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss, .....
Country flag
You are probably right.
Note. Tesla has not made any projections of how many they will produce/deliver in 2022. 100,000 vehicles of a brand new model from a brand new factory might be its ceiling.
Yeah we shall see I suppose. They produced around 151,000 Model 3s in the first year; If the CT is easier to produce as some say, and with it not needed paint, I want to assume they can do at least as good with the CT. My fingers remain crossed for sure.

Last edited:

mattcatt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-3, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Yes, that would be great if they would only inflate at the target rate. But as we know, the real rate hasn’t been that low in years, and with companies like Tesla and the great need to save jobs and rebuild manufacturing in this country- we need recognition of this lower current value, but as currencies only have value in relation to each other and offer no inherent value, it’s a race to the hyperinflation bottom, if you will. To try and have the cheap manufacturing/jobs currency. Everybody loses. The China problem is that while historically the G7 have been able to moderate their currencies in a somewhat non cutthroat manner, the CCP doesn’t play ball and force- undercuts all the others to steal economic growth without reciprocity, and consumers prefer this theft to outright war, perhaps, and so it continues. Munchkin did well in having them raise their artificial currency value somewhat. Anyway, my two cents.
Sponsored