cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
IMHO Tesla is actually working against itself by publishing EPA estimates that aren't close to real world as it results in precisely what most traditional automotive consumers have come to believe - that the advertised ranges are not true/accurate. Best to be more honest about real world ranges especially over the long term.
other OEMs tend to take this opposite approach: better to sandbag, under promise and overdeliver

i sometimes think this Tesla approach is a holdover from days when Tesla felt their core challenge was convincing people to take BEVs seriously. the 'costs' of their EPA strategy was offset by the benefits, on that view

but times have changed. more people understand now. and they would rather know range than believe in a BEV future.

oversimplification of course, but no doubt Tesla has a very different strategy towards range marketing than do most other OEMs. maybe that strategy still works for them, on the whole.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I actually think the CT did ok considering the pack & tire combo. The Rivian is just going to be better under identical conditions (weather/tires) due to larger pack & better Cd.
The CT Range Extender (vs max pack) is much better deal per kwh if it ever gets implemented, it is a poor design though.
They both did a total bait & switch on the larger pack range option.
I don't think that it was a bait and switch. I'm pretty sure that they got caught between a rock and a hard place. They came up with the only compromise that make sense.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
What would it take for vehicles charging while going down the road? Can you imagine the benefits of a smaller battery pack and almost unlimited range?
There's a test section of road out there somewhere, it's really short though. Of course trolleys have used it for over a hundred years (overhead lines)

It's hard to see where digging up roads is going to provide any payback.

But while there are so many people that still believe that range matters, after driving only EVs for about 7 years, Range matters in a Leaf that gets 88 miles range. Range doesn't matter in a 300+ EPA rated vehicle. I just finished 2500+ miles of road tripping in December.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
if he's averaging 70mph, he's not below - and arguably exceeding
Where did you get 70 mph from? It's not the EPA definition of Highway driving.

EPA highway is probably above about 50 and mostly not stop and go. Remember EPA standard were introduced by Reagan and the 55 mph national speed limit.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
other OEMs tend to take this opposite approach: better to sandbag, under promise and overdeliver

i sometimes think this Tesla approach is a holdover from days when Tesla felt their core challenge was convincing people to take BEVs seriously. the 'costs' of their EPA strategy was offset by the benefits, on that view

but times have changed. more people understand now. and they would rather know range than believe in a BEV future.

oversimplification of course, but no doubt Tesla has a very different strategy towards range marketing than do most other OEMs. maybe that strategy still works for them, on the whole.
I'm assuming that you aren't talking about Ford then. There are some examples of the F150L, probably like yours getting similar range to the Cybertruck, if not less.

What are you getting with yours?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Where did you get 70 mph from? It's not the EPA definition of Highway driving.
my 2022 Ford F-150 with 5L V-8 consistantly gets 22-23 MPG at 70 MPH (EPA rating 17/25/20)...
you then suggested he was getting under EPA hwy.

EPA highway is probably above about 50 and mostly not stop and go. Remember EPA standard were introduced by Reagan and the 55 mph national speed limit.

now you're describing how we wasn't getting under EPA hwy,

getting 23 at sustained/avg 70mph is not getting under EPA hwy of 24-25 at an test average speed of 48mph

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I'm assuming that you aren't talking about Ford then. There are some examples of the F150L, probably like yours getting similar range to the Cybertruck, if not less.

What are you getting with yours?
i'm talking especially of Ford

you just cited the same sort of anecdotal claptrap about Lightning range that you're here on this forum defending against RE the CT, at a rate of 60 comments a day

Ford Lightning ER blended is 320, city 350, and hwy 283

driven mindfully, it does that or better, consistently

so yeah, about what CT (on all season tires) is EPA predicted to get, exactly

despite the CT have less frontal plain, a smaller drag coefficient, and 4 years of hype about how Tesla will bend the rules of physics to produce a BEV truck with simultaneously a smaller pack, similar size, but wildly better range compared to the Lightning

which is fundamentally the point of this entire thread. Tesla built a BEV truck on 35" tires, that is able to have a smaller pack than a Lightning only in virtue of having less frontal plain, smaller drag, etc., to arrive at fundamentally identical range considerations and outcomes

some people are having a harsh reality check that BEV trucks do not behave the same as BEV sedans, and that - just like with the Lightning - a collaboration between physics, market realities, and regulatory constraints, results in the following:

just as people (especially Tesla fanbois) have done for 2 years about the Lightning, people will missunderstand and misscharacterize the nature of BEV trucks, EPA data, etc., to paint the CT as an engineering/product failure

on one hand, i don't agree with that. on the other hand, it's satisfying to see the Tesla fanboi's swollowing their own medicine.

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
M8, I think you have that backwards. I don't know of a single electric provider that doesn't offer cheaper rates to encourage usage outside of peak load times.
I'm outside of KC, and there is 1 rate 24 hours a day... no off peak rates.

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
I am happy to see reservation holders drop out as I am not getting any younger. As far as range is concerned I just completed a 525 mile trip in my 2016 MS. 40 degrees when we started out. When crossing into Canada and heading north of Toronto the temps dropped into the low 30’s. We lost quite a bit of range tracking 70+. With the CT we will have more range than my older MS and will be making the same trip quite often having to only charge once instead of twice.
no consider if I had to purchase a new truck to replace my current Tundra. I just looked at F250 prices and they were in the low to mid 80’s. I didn’t bother with Ram and I didn’t look at the Tundra Hybrid. Why because the Ram and Fords are all old technology. With a CT you are getting the best of new technology. Why would you want anything else. You have to adapt to the need to charge when you are on the road. Heck I pulled my boat with my Tundra to have the outboards serviced. Just under a 1/4 tank to pull my 27’ Grady White 36 miles. 38 gallon tank so say 6 gallons for 36 miles is 9 miles per gallon. So all you trailer pullers and non stop drivers drop out now so I get my CT sooner. I don’t have that much time left to be dilly dallying along. If you don’t want to stop and charge, buy the Ford Ram or Toyota. You will have to stop and pay for gas. Canada gas was $1.69 a LITER. But don’t knock the best truck that is going to be on the road. All the other auto makers are going to have to follow Tesla CT or get left behind (out of business). If anyone wants to give me their early reservation number I’ll take it.

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm outside of KC, and there is 1 rate 24 hours a day... no off peak rates.
who is your electric provider? Also, which Kansa City?

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
who is your electric provider? Also, which Kansa City?
Platte Clay Electric Coop is my provider, however, the main provider - Evergy - just announced time based rates to go into effect this year inside of KC Metro area. They were also on a fixed rate 24/7.

I'm outside of KC, MO.

Reactions: REM

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Platte Clay Electric Coop is my provider, however, the main provider - Evergy - just announced time based rates to go into effect this year inside of KC Metro area. They were also on a fixed rate 24/7.

I'm outside of KC, MO.
yep, looks like they have pretty good fixed rate but also slap you with demand charges; which in my opinion is a terribly imbalanced and unfair system. Say you offload your high demand usage to the middle of night where global demand is very low, you still get hit with that stupid demand charge.

It would likely be better for you to literally charge your car all day long on less than 1 KW usage than it would be to do the logical thing and schule a 2/3 hour charge each night when demand is low. You are fortunate that time based metering is coming soon.

This type of system maximises profit for them, at the expense of literally everyone.

1704485661497.png