g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
For those who think Model X is a good reference model for Cybertruck pricing.

After their recent price drop, inventory dropped temporarily, then almost immediately started climbing. Not too surprising, $100k SUVs is a pretty small market.

1675133636628.png
So game plan, expensive quad 90k then dual motor in march 2024 w crazy volume?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So game plan, expensive quad 90k then dual motor in march 2024 w crazy volume?
I could see something like that.

Though starting production with a truck which is 30% more expensive than the original top config and not qualified for incentives would be… infuriating for a lot of people.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
FYI PM motors still produce eddy currents when rotated and electrically isolated, because they have a permanent magnetic field created by the permanent magnets. Unlike a induction motor that has a field controller that can be switched off leaving it with no magnetic field and much less rotational resistance. (There's still bearing losses, rotational mass etc)

In essence the PM will become a kinetic to heat energy converter, so using them without disconnecting them mechanically can only really be done by using the motor speed controller to recoup some of the energy losses, either by regen (which would be less efficient) or simply by giving the PM enough power to coast. There are some switching methods (FOC etc) that can reduce the losses on a PM, but I think in the semi the clutch is also meant to reduce replacement/maintenance costs, by simply removing the driveline from the equation. Note many EU trucks only have one rear driven axle for this reason. But in the case of Semi, I think they needed the second driven axle to get the power down.

On the otherhand the M3 and MY already simply turn off their rear induction motors to do this, and use its front PM for driving at cruise.
Interesting thought. The power lost by the eddy currents would not be very significant. Well, not in the industrial world, but in an EV I guess it is something to consider. I don't think an inverter would be able to do anything about the losses. Any involvement in the inverter to control the flux of the PM motor would require current and I'd expect that current to be greater than the eddy currents, which would create more heat energy lost. Kind of the spend a dollar to save a penny idea.

The same issue would be in an induction motor, albeit, even less significant than a PM motor. In theory, an electrically isolated spinning induction motor can produce no voltage or current. But in practice, induction motors can have some residual magnetism from the last time they were powered, allowing it to create some voltage, and I assume, eddy currents.

There are many types of PM motors. I have worked with a lot of different ones, but I will admit most of my learning and experimentation has been on Surface mount PM motors (SPM) and most (actually I think all) PM motors in EV's are some variation of Internal mount PM motors. (IPM). There are many things all PM motors have in common, but there are also many places where they differ.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I could have purchased a performance mode… I am still happy

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am not a fan of paying more money… will consider after the novelty wears off and my son stops borrowing the car at night. 😁
edit: acceleration boost is listed as 2k through the app. Oh no, my cat is walking over to my phone and about to step on the purchase button… will give some more thought

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am not a fan of paying more money… will consider after the novelty wears off and my son stops borrowing the car at night. 😁
edit: acceleration boost is listed as 2k through the app. Oh no, my cat is walking over to my phone and about to step on the purchase button… will give some more thought
I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but I read a bunch of reviews and the consensus seems to be:

**** YEEEEEEEE Haaaaaawwwwwwwwww !!!! ****
Sponsored