Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Is anyone selling a pickup that doesn't come with a tow hitch?!
Sure. The kind of ball and placement varies by use, of course. But you're right: The truck would already have the things in it that it would need. That's why I was thinking if it were optional, it would just be external hardware like the wiring harness and the hitch ball itself.

-Crissa

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Is anyone selling a pickup that doesn't come with a tow hitch?!
Well, I know the last Ram dually I purchased came from the factory with a 10k receiver but I still had to pay for the "Tow Package". Not sure who buys a dually without a receiver but that didn't stop Dodge from charging me for it.

Keep in mind that manufacturers make a higher margin on "options". And "dealer installed options" provide additional revenue for the dealer as well.

Jamez

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Occupation
Taper of Dry Wall (retired)
Country flag
What's the consensus on CT options vs standard equipment?

My thoughts

Option: Tow package with integrated brake controller
Option: Winter package (heated seats and steering wheel)
Option: Solar tonneau cover (already confirmed)
Option: Premium interior
Option: Premium sound

Standard: No tow hitch
Standard: No heated seats or steering wheel
Living in Ontario will sadly require heat if to be enjoyed all year but if heating and cooling built in be a real choice perhaps not.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I still think the Tri Motor and the Plaid version might be two different packages. The difference might be software but I could easily see that that could cost more. The tri motor has never been called "plaid" by Must just that he would drive a Plaid cybertruck.
Given that a plaid Cybertruck has never been announced don’t you think that his statement conveys an equivalence? Even if you are right, I suspect that towing and heated seats will be standard on the tri motor variation.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

My thoughts

On the tri motor I suspect that tow, heated seats, and sound will be standard, solar, seating, and wheel choice will be options, as this is how they do it now.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
CYBERTRUCK STANDARD:
Cybertruck User Interface, 60amp charge cable, 12v Aux. battery,

60Amp? you meant he Wall Connector? or are there 60A receptacles in Panama? We only have max 50A in North America. If you want to push the 50A outlet to it's max you can still order the Gen 1 portable charger.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
60Amp? you meant he Wall Connector? or are there 60A receptacles in Panama? We only have max 50A in North America. If you want to push the 50A outlet to it's max you can still order the Gen 1 portable charger.
I'm confused. I have a 60A breaker for my charger and was offered 50,60, or 100 by my electrician.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I'm confused. I have a 60A breaker for my charger and was offered 50,60, or 100 by my electrician.
I think that we are using a 100 amp breaker (off the main panel) for our Tesla home charger but were offered the same as you. @rodmacpherson is talking about receptacles and that is probably where the confusion is arising.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I think that we are using a 100 amp breaker (off the main panel) for our Tesla home charger but were offered the same as you. @rodmacpherson is talking about receptacles and that is probably where the confusion is arising.
That is right. Anything over 50 amp would have to be permanently wired (the wall connector) so the Cybertruck can't come standard with a 60A portable charging cable in North America because there are no 60A receptacles to plug one into.
I mean, 60 A receptacles do exist, but you won't find them anywhere to plug into.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That is right. Anything over 50 amp would have to be permanently wired (the wall connector) so the Cybertruck can't come standard with a 60A portable charging cable in North America because there are no 60A receptacles to plug one into.
I mean, 60 A receptacles do exist, but you won't find them anywhere to plug into.
Sorry, I got off track/thread. You guys were talking about what the truck itself will offer. Didn’t @ajdelange say earlier that the CT would probably have a 30 amp outlet? At 220 volts that is very impressive, but not for charging other cars.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla AC charging ramps down to whatever amperage you need.

So if it has 60A capability, that wouldn't mean it wouldn't have anything to plug into. It would just mean it could go up to that level given the right EVSE.

Tho chargers are usually rated in wattage, not amperage. Since they run off 120 or 240 ^-^

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, I think I heard 30A somewhere but if you are using me as a reference its definitely furphy class info.

Yes, there are 14-60R receptacles out there and there is a portable charger, the Wattzilla Black Mamba (I think it's even listed in Canada), that will plug into them. So if your remote site happens to have an accessible one or there is a generator there equipped with one you would be able to charge at the maximum Level 2 rate the CT will accept (assuming only a single charging port) which is 48 A (11.5 kW).

Tesla no longer offers plugged versions of the HPWC so further discussion of them is moot unless you are willing to be rather bolder than I think the typical reader here ought to be and add a cord to one. But the W in HPWC stands for "Wall". It's not meant to be rolling around in the boot of ones car or the back of one's truck. There are chargers made for that purpose (Black Mamba).

It can get confusing. At the moment the largest breaker for an HPWC is 60A which allows the HPWC to legally deliver 48 A which seems to be, at the moment, the largest on board charger offered for BEVs sold in the US. Sixty A also represents a breakpoint in the NEC. Installations of greater than 60A require a lockable disconnect located near the EVSE.

In past days Teslas came with larger chargers. I had an X that took 72A (requiring a 90 A breaker) and some S models took 80A (requiring a 100 A breaker). In addition to larger chargers in the car one could put multiple HPWC on a single breaker. For example I have 2 fed by a 100 A breaker. The master HPWC monitors load and insures that the combined draw of the two is not more than 80 A (the maximum allowable continuous load on an 80A breaker). With the newer HPWC that same funtionality could be realized by installing a subpanel with a 100A mains breaker and two HPWC each of which would have to be on its own 64A circuit. The same sharing takes place but it is coordinated over WiFi.

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag

My thoughts

I think all of that but the tonneau cover will be standard. Tesla hasn't done the Winter Pack for years now, it's all standard. I think that the Premium Interior will be standard on Dual and Tri motors but won't be available at all on the Single. I also hope that the towing will be standard considering the fact that it's a truck that can tow 14 thousand dang pounds.

Efreniere

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Physicist/Engineer/Entrepreneur
Country flag
One thing I haven't seen discussed is the ability to mount a snowplow on CT, important for us who live in the northern tier of the US, and Canada. This is not a factory option, but I wonder how this can be accomplished given that aftermarket snowplows are designed to mount to the ladder frame found on traditional pickups.
Sponsored