Cybertruck price increase?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I find the tri motor at $84k pretty unlikely myself.
I'm expecting my final cost to be around there.

$70k - base
$7k - FSD
$5k (approx) options like tires. Fancy color interior etc. (Not solar, solar doesn't make sense for me)
That's $82k. Tax, Title, License, delivery fee is going to take it closer to $90k.

Not counting the $2-5k to upgrade my home electrical and get a Tesla Wall Charger.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

$70k - base
$7k - FSD
$5k (approx) options like tires. Fancy color interior etc. (Not solar, solar doesn't make sense for me)
That's $82k. Tax, Title, License, delivery fee is going to take it closer to $90k.

Not counting the $2-5k to upgrade my home electrical and get a Tesla Wall Charger.
Not worried about losing the incentive? I guess early buyers are put in a weird place.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla As always delivered the most expensive vehicle’s first. They have also always given priority to prior Tesla owners. The most expensive vehicles and prior Tesla owners will get their vehicles first.
that would be great.....I have Model S and Model 3.......I am at 46,160, so, maybe I might see one around Sep 2023

repoman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Performance S, Plaid X, Cybertruck # less then 100
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Tesla will grab that EV money for sure. I don’t recall if the preorder site said anything about the listed cost being before any incentives but I am betting they will claim the incentives so if the dual was $49k now it will be $56,500. So it lands at $49 after the $7500 incentive. That is my bet. I wish it wasn’t so but it’s hard to imagine they will just absorb the escalation and inflation with such high demand.
No, they dont do it like that. Historically, price on reservations has ALWAYS been the base price at the time you convert to an order. Cybertruck will be no different at launch. If they said you will pay $69,000 for a tri motor, then that will be the price plus any options you pick.

repoman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Performance S, Plaid X, Cybertruck # less then 100
Occupation
Software
Country flag
You owe us pictures, answer all our question and rides. I will schedule the Q&A.

muttering, 3 digit.

Very happy for you
Will have lots of Youtube videos for sure. I hope its as fun to drive in the desert as my Raptor im trading :)

Jim Polkowski

First Name
Jim P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Country flag
Tesla will grab that EV money for sure. I don’t recall if the preorder site said anything about the listed cost being before any incentives but I am betting they will claim the incentives so if the dual was $49k now it will be $56,500. So it lands at $49 after the $7500 incentive. That is my bet. I wish it wasn’t so but it’s hard to imagine they will just absorb the escalation and inflation with such high demand.
In the next 3 to 5 years there will be a lot more competition for EV trucks and SUVs. If Tesla raises the price $10,000 a lot of people will downsize to an EV SUV like the Ionic 5, Mustang and others. IMO In 5 years, there will be a glut of expensive $50,000 EVs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In the next 3 to 5 years there will be a lot more competition for EV trucks and SUVs. If Tesla raises the price $10,000 a lot of people will downsize to an EV SUV like the Ionic 5, Mustang and others. IMO In 5 years, there will be a glut of expensive $50,000 EVs.
This is exactly right.

Lots of people making assumptions based on short term trends. Tesla plans for 5-10 years, not for 18 months.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I still can’t believe the norm is becoming $50,000 for a vehicle. I can see the great benefit of lower cost per mile and low maintenance for sure. I do 95% of my own maintenance so other than bloody knuckles a lot of frustration and many weekends it relatively cheap for me to maintain my cars.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag

$70k - base
$7k - FSD

Why is it going to cost $2-$5K to install a Wall Connector? I got mine free from Tesla but it only cost me around $150 to install it and I had a 34' run from my panel, underground, to my driveway. Price included conduit, copper wire, 60 amp breaker, junction box, and a bunch of incidentals. An electrician would have charged me around $300-$400 to wire it up but it was easy, so I did it myself and now I have a first-class charging solution right where I park.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Yep, average new car price is over $45K in the US. With EV's only being 2% of sales I think the blame lands squarely on the shoulders of ICE vehicles. And, long-term, ICE should get more expensive and EV's less expensive due to volume efficiencies and dropping battery prices. And, volume efficiencies are a huge deal for the following reason:

It costs millions to create the tooling for each model of car. If a manufacturer makes 100,000 of that model the tooling comprises $2000-$6000 per car but, if they manufacture a million of them, the tooling cost per car drops to only $200-$600 per car. So, as EV volumes grow and ICE volumes shrink, ICE will become relatively much more expensive. The same volume principles apply when a manufacturer orders parts from a supplier that has to make molds for plastic parts and also for cast parts. And then there is the volume discount on top of any tooling cost savings.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Yep, average new car price is over $45K in the US. With EV's only being 2% of sales I think the blame lands squarely on the shoulders of ICE vehicles. And, long-term, ICE should get more expensive and EV's less expensive due to volume efficiencies and dropping battery prices. And, volume efficiencies are a huge deal for the following reason:

It costs millions to create the tooling for each model of car. If a manufacturer makes 100,000 of that model the tooling comprises $2000-$6000 per car but, if they manufacture a million of them, the tooling cost per car drops to only $200-$600 per car. So, as EV volumes grow and ICE volumes shrink, ICE will become relatively much more expensive. The same volume principles apply when a manufacturer orders parts from a supplier that has to make molds for plastic parts and also for cast parts. And then there is the volume discount on top of any tooling cost savings.
Whats even more wild is the when the model 3 was revealed in 2016, they marketed the 35k version as the average price of a new car.. Boy has that number shot up.

In essence.. the cheapest model 3 meets that goal today.. at $44,990, with much better specs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I spent $15,000 more on my last car than the previous, but it had nothing to do with inflation.

I spent more to get a Model Y.

When ~5% of the industry spends up to get an EV, it changes a lot of things. Plug in EVs also command a premium and have proved to be extremely popular. Many of these cars sold have been subsidized which means consumers don’t actually see the full price increase.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I spent $15,000 more on my last car than the previous, but it had nothing to do with inflation.

I spent more to get a Model Y.

When ~5% of the industry spends up to get an EV, it changes a lot of things. Plug in EVs also command a premium and have proved to be extremely popular. Many of these cars sold have been subsidized which means consumers don’t actually see the full price increase.
I was kinda thinking it had to do with Tesla also, but it's way more to do with dealer markups. Here's an interesting article talking about Tesla having the lowest increase in price.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-hol...ase-rate-as-new-car-prices-hit-all-time-high/
Sponsored