Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
How many people just keep their old cars for 2-3 more years until anEV that meets their needs is available?
In 2018 my 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid was starting to show it’s age. It was fine for commuting to/from work and around town, but started to feel a little shaky at highway speeds, and decided it was time for a new car. I bought my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) in August of 2018. Much nicer on the highway, I like it.
I didn’t hear about the CT until December of 2019 (month after reveal). After falling in love with it and preordering, I regretted buying the JGC. If I’d had waited I could have nursed the Escape a couple more years and saved a ton of money. NOW, after the delay, I’m glad I got the JGC. I could have probably kept the Escape running another 5+ years, but it would have been a long time to drive something I didn’t like anymore or trust. It had over 100k miles on it. Sure it COULD have lasted for many more miles/years, but it could have also failed beyond repair at any time. I only have one vehicle. If it failed I’d have to replace it immediately. The dealerships would sense my desperateness and take me for everything they could.

I’ve been working from home almost exclusively since 17MAR2020. (Think I’ve been in the office 5 times in that timeframe). Because of this, my 4 year old JGC only has 36k miles on it. I started to wonder if, because of this, if it would have been better to have kept the Escape. But the thing is, almost all of the miles I do put on it now are long trip highway miles.

Long story short (to late!), I realize the JGC purchase has made it a lot easier to wait. The CT delay would have made me A LOT more anxious if I’d had kept the Escape. Short of an accident or catastrophic failure, I will drive the JGC comfortably until my CT is ready.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Which Ducati?
I have a 2012 Diavel Carbon Red and have no plans to ever sell it.
With $1800 average annual maintenance? O-o;

She has a Scrambler Icon.

I already overpay for my Zero which doesn't need annual maintenance... and in one year her Ducati ate up the everything I've spent on my Zero ever, even including the time she dumped my poor Zero and I had to get the brake and line replaced.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In 2018 my 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid was starting to show it’s age. It was fine for commuting to/from work and around town, but started to feel a little shaky at highway speeds, and decided it was time for a new car. I bought my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) in August of 2018. Much nicer on the highway, I like it.
I didn’t hear about the CT until December of 2019 (month after reveal). After falling in love with it and preordering, I regretted buying the JGC. If I’d had waited I could have nursed the Escape a couple more years and saved a ton of money. NOW, after the delay, I’m glad I got the JGC. I could have probably kept the Escape running another 5+ years, but it would have been a long time to drive something I didn’t like anymore or trust. It had over 100k miles on it. Sure it COULD have lasted for many more miles/years, but it could have also failed beyond repair at any time. I only have one vehicle. If it failed I’d have to replace it immediately. The dealerships would sense my desperateness and take me for everything they could.

I’ve been working from home almost exclusively since 17MAR2020. (Think I’ve been in the office 5 times in that timeframe). Because of this, my 4 year old JGC only has 36k miles on it. I started to wonder if, because of this, if it would have been better to have kept the Escape. But the thing is, almost all of the miles I do put on it now are long trip highway miles.

Long story short (to late!), I realize the JGC purchase has made it a lot easier to wait. The CT delay would have made me A LOT more anxious if I’d had kept the Escape. Short of an accident or catastrophic failure, I will drive the JGC comfortably until my CT is ready.

Looking back at that chart. I suspect the resale value of ICE vehicles will trail ICE vehicle demand in general. Makes the puzzle all the more interesting. How long do you hang onto that ICE vehicle watching used prices drop year after year.

I’m glad I bought my Model Y to tide me over until my Cybertruck is around. Takes a bit of the gambling out of the equation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If your ICE vehicle is at the end of its lifetime, resale is less a problem.

(Personally, I hate calculating resale into Total Cost of Ownership, because that assumption is a big bet and assumes the vehicle doesn't get written off do to happenstance or age.)

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If your ICE vehicle is at the end of its lifetime, resale is less a problem.

(Personally, I hate calculating resale into Total Cost of Ownership, because that assumption is a big bet and assumes the vehicle doesn't get written off do to happenstance or age.)

-Crissa
Yep on all counts.

But a lot of people buy a new vehicle and drive it for 3-5 years then sell them to finance the next. The effect this has on the price of new cars is significant. For example, if you drop $60k on a new truck right now to tide you over until you get a Cybertruck, a 20% reduction in resale value is a pretty significant chunk of your total operating costs for the lifetime of the truck.

Obviously if you’ve kept your car for 10 years (which is the sensible way to do it) and it’s a difference of $5,000 versus $4,000, it’s not a huge deal. But if you are expecting $40,000 for your 3 year old truck… it’s going to hurt.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Obviously if you’ve kept your car for 10 years (which is the sensible way to do it) and it’s a difference of $5,000 versus $4,000, it’s not a huge deal. But if you are expecting $40,000 for your 3 year old truck… it’s going to hurt.
Yeah, it's rolled into the cost of the next car. It's not like most people are going to go without another car. So it doesn't seem like it's a cost of ownership, it's a cost of seller-ship.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, it's rolled into the cost of the next car. It's not like most people are going to go without another car. So it doesn't seem like it's a cost of ownership, it's a cost of seller-ship.

-Crissa
You and I are looking at the same facts and assigning different names to the various bits. The names of the bits don’t matter.

The fact that in the end you have $5,000 less is what matters.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You and I are looking at the same facts and assigning different names to the various bits. The names of the bits don’t matter.

The fact that in the end you have $5,000 less is what matters.
Yeah, I just hate resale being in TCO. It can cover up atrocious numbers.

-Crissa

AkaCarioca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y (Nov 22nd 2023), CT (Waiting)
Occupation
Salesforce Advisor Evangelist
Country flag

I already overpay for my Zero which doesn't need annual maintenance... and in one year her Ducati ate up the everything I've spent on my Zero ever, even including the time she dumped my poor Zero and I had to get the brake and line replaced.

-Crissa

$1800 average annual maintenance for which model?

The most money that I had to spend on mine, was the 15000 maintenance, which requires some expensive valve work.

-Crissa
$1800 average annual maintenance for which model?

The most money that I had to spend on mine, was the 15000 maintenance, which requires some expensive valve work.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
@flowerlandfilms could make the movie based on that narrative arc alone!
In a consumer oriented throw away world, one man clings to that which he holds dear.
His life in turmoil, his only true companion is his trusty pickup.
But when an unexpected visitor shows up in town, he now must decide...
Is this attachment propping him up? Or is it holding him back.
John Leguizamo in... 'NOT WITHOUT MY CYBERTRUCK'.
If only our emotions could be Stainless too.
Rated PG13.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
If only our emotions could be Stainless too.
Rated PG13.
No nonono… Rated R. Every truck character needs its consort lady who hates it. LOL She jumps him in their first meeting hopping into the backseat. Leaving nothing to viewer imagination its hot sex. After denouement small talk “was it as good for you as it was for me?” humblebrag our consort butches “ I hate this truck, it hurts and look at my back, here!“; sets up the engine that powers the movie.

A narrative beatsheet of friction and calamity, the dusty stainless steel character creeps into hot couple’s lives. The story arcs parallel against all odds becoming literally the third wheel in human relationship that looks nothing like the human’s torn and troubled lives.

Not quite an apocalypse, the turn is at the moment the lady refects how his goddamn love affair that she hates-on so much for that truck, looks every bit like the love he holds for her. Through thick and thin both characters have stood by her, inspite of her misshapen perceptions. It was really that goddamn truck that caused her to see what she couldn’t see herself. (camera slowly zooms out to see an incredible view)

The denouement blossoms into a different love thereafter, one with a car pillow gift that reads “Love” in cursive. Of course…LOL (fade to black)

Propwash

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Cybertruck reservation 113079593
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
When do you think we will get to see the options list or packages???