m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
Maybe, but why store it at the freemont plant? All the other prototyping is done elsewhere.
In this case, safe storage for the meeting after the Peterson exhibit is what I’m positing. Especially with the delays they had with COVID, and scheduling, they could’ve just shipped directly to Fremont with the assumption of the original meeting being very shortly after it was on display.

Design center is in Hawthorne, where they typically design all the cars. I don’t suspect they keep them there entirely, especially when used as show tools. I’d assume the Roadster and the other vehicles weren’t driven up the day before, but likely stored in their facilities until the meeting happened
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
My guess would be it was moving throughout the facility, out of storage, or display, to go to the 2020 Shareholder meeting. This was probably just as it was passing through.

I can imagine even if you’ve seen the truck before, that you’d still pause when it goes by, just because it’s that abstract.
You are right. I still stop and stare at lots of Teslas and we own one. I love them. And the CT is indeed special. Someday they will make another prototype, and I would be very surprised if it isn't before the end of this year.

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
You are right. I still stop and stare at lots of Teslas and we own one. I love them. And the CT is indeed special. Someday they will make another prototype, and I would be very surprised if it isn't before the end of this year.
I stare all the time as well..while I’m sitting in my Model 3. I like the different perspectives you get from seeing the exterior on the road.

You naturally get familiar with the interior, and the exterior as you walk around it, but in motion is something completely different.

I can’t wait to appreciate the CT in motion, while sitting in one.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This one looks less shiny. The one on display at both the battery event and the museum were polished.
Yeah I see what you mean... also.. the fender flares dont look as black which is odd.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I suppose at the most they could be checking it for fit on the existing line design to see if they need to change anything before they commit to it in Austin. But yeah, working tail light and glass is hardly "near bare".....

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Wouldn’t it have been there for display on battery day? Might have been getting recharged or tweaked while it was back at the factory.
I would also guess they have a few of them, it looks like the on pictured has silver fender flares, not black...

Edit: just saw the Rest of the posts, and that perhaps it is the lighting making the fender flares look brighter/different...

braddibbnd

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 Ram, 23 Tesla MY
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or maybe they were using it to move parts or deliver treats to the workers. I found it interesting that the tonneau cover was pulled back and the box was open. If they are just parking it in the factory for battery day, why have the cover pulled back?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Or maybe they were using it to move parts or deliver treats to the workers. I found it interesting that the tonneau cover was pulled back and the box was open. If they are just parking it in the factory for battery day, why have the cover pulled back?
I found the cover being open interesting as well. It was also open on battery day, maybe they have been testing solar cells and didn't want people to know so they removed it??? Pure speculation there.

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Maybe it's a completed CT which is there for crash testing as noted in an article posted back on Sept. 14th? Or is it still too early for that? Would LOVE to see the results of those tests!
Question for those who know production schedule better than I do: at what point with a new vehicle design do they start crash testing? Initial prototypes are the most expensive to build and my hunch is crash testing would be during a phase where this is some sense of scale production, not one-offs

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Crash testing externally is after production starts. You can't test prototypes becuase they don't represent typical construction.

But Tesla has their own crash chamber, so they probably will in-house crash test unfinished prototypes, That's common to perfect material choice and crumple zone placement before production.

I think that's in Fremont.

-Crissa