cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Oops, I thought that pic was the full scale tunnel. My trailer was outside the full scale tunnel. The hypersonic was across the center.
you're right the photo was of the full scale tunnel

i just pivoted the conversation to the other tunnels nearby that are to me particularly fascinating

making air move 4X the speed of sound just sort of makes my mind glitch and repeat "does not compute"
Sponsored

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
I am also happy to see anything Cybertruck, this included. I was unhappy when folks on Joe's Patreon page insisted on calling it a wind tunnel, and I apologize for my training and work history as an aerospace engineer but that is just the way it is.
I can’t add to that. According to my avatar all I got is string theory.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
you're right the photo was of the full scale tunnel

i just pivoted the conversation to the other tunnels nearby that are to me particularly fascinating

making air move 4X the speed of sound just sort of makes my mind glitch and repeat "does not compute"
I believe that the transsonic and hypersonic tunnels are based on suction rather than blowing, and of course their throats are much smaller.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I cannot remember whether it has been noted but there must be a benchmark for the exoskeleton design (and perhaps prototype versions) in a wind tunnel that can be used in this rig to calibrate and to compare with the manufactured versions at GigaAustin. One way or another, if Tesla intends to use this rig to evaluate the manufactured Cybertruck exoskeleton, then they must be pretty close to making them at GigaAustin (if they aren't already). That is very exciting all by itself.

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
I cannot remember whether it has been noted but there must be a benchmark for the exoskeleton design (and perhaps prototype versions) in a wind tunnel that can be used in this rig to calibrate and to compare with the manufactured versions at GigaAustin. One way or another, if Tesla intends to use this rig to evaluate the manufactured Cybertruck exoskeleton, then they must be pretty close to making them at GigaAustin (if they aren't already). That is very exciting all by itself.
It would not surprise me to learn this truck was built in Austin. Probably why the windows were blocked and Elon walked the line.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
**if you read CYBERTRUCK's top speed spec and confuse it with production speed...😬
***see Poe's Law
I responded to the statement producing a model Y every 40 seconds. Are you stating you were being sarcastic with this statement?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I responded to the statement producing a model Y every 40 seconds. Are you stating you were being sarcastic with this statement?
Having a car come off the line every 40 seconds doesn’t equate to the car being produced in 40 seconds. According to Sandy Munro Tesla has the station time down to about 42 seconds. How many stations are there?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Having a car come off the line every 40 seconds doesn’t equate to the car being produced in 40 seconds. According to Sandy Munro Tesla has the station time down to about 42 seconds. How many stations are there?
That is what average station time means, tho. Any station that takes longer, gets split out into multiple stations, or lanes.

-Crissa

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Yes. I thought the idea that cars were doing 90 mph down the production line and suggesting that they would be built in a vacuum was preposterous enough that nobody would think I was serious.
My apologies.

I gUeSs I'lL hAvE tO sTaRt UsiNg SaRcAsTic FoNt iNsTeAd.

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I'd bet a box of donuts they are simply using that thing to test wipers. It makes sense, right? I mean, we literally watch the BAW in action while the CT is on the turn table with no rain anywhere around. I hope they test this thing to make sure it'll keep the windshield clear (the taped area is probably the primary viewing area of the driver). Watching from inside while it "rains" at speed will help them determine spring tension necessary to prevent chattering or lifting.

My 2 cents.
Sponsored