Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500
Occupation
Construction Equipment Rental
Country flag
It definitely isn't something that shouldn't be done. What shouldn't be done is overloading the hitch no matter the size of the engine and suspension.

-Crissa
I have seen someone with a old Ford Ranger that built his own small gooseneck which was "ranger" size and fine but doesn't mean it made sense, but it was cool. Maybe I should have used the word "optimal" again. The smallest goosenecks that people use are 14k GVWR. Most are 20-30k. Which means you're maxing out its top rating of an F-150 with the smallest one. When it comes to campers I know less about the weights but know they can be dangerous. I'm just trying to make people aware and avoid situations like this.
Sponsored

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
When I asked my sisters ex husband’s cousin who works for a janitorial services next to Giga Texas about Cybertruck accessories, she just grinned at me and sent me this link.

Pretty sure this solves all the trailering issues in one swoop.

• Aerodynamic? Yep.
  • Can use Tesla chargers without disconnect? Yep
  • Allows full access to the vault? Yep

OK, we've just started transitioning our gooseneck trailers to bumper pulls to work with the Cybertruck. If Ogre has just uncovered what the accessories team has been focusing on we'll need to hold off on the bumper pulls. With the rear wheel steer this could work even better. I assume the janitorial staff all sign NDAs, so this is a very good secret you've uncovered! Maybe we should delete this thread before CNBC picks it up. Ogre you could be implicated in industrial espionage. (y)(y)

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
When I asked my sisters ex husband’s cousin who works for a janitorial services next to Giga Texas about Cybertruck accessories, she just grinned at me and sent me this link.

Pretty sure this solves all the trailering issues in one swoop.

• Aerodynamic? Yep.
  • Can use Tesla chargers without disconnect? Yep
  • Allows full access to the vault? Yep

Did his dad work for Nintendo and tell everyone about Mew under the car near the SS Anne too?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Somebody posted that bug trailer here a while ago.

Adding height to a RV type trailer is counter productive, because it adds drag, you're better off having a pop up camper that fits behind the CT instead. Together with a load distribution and extending hitch, and CTs 4WS will make this one of the best towing setups.
‘Maybe the top post wasn’t clear enough.

I thought the tongue in cheek lead in was a good tell. This post was meant to to be a joke, not a serious post.

It sort-of worked for the bug because the bug was like 12 foot long (or whatever). On the Cybertruck the gooseneck would be 15 foot long before the trailer even started.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have seen someone with a old Ford Ranger that built his own small gooseneck which was "ranger" size and fine but doesn't mean it made sense, but it was cool. Maybe I should have used the word "optimal" again. The smallest goosenecks that people use are 14k GVWR. Most are 20-30k. Which means you're maxing out its top rating of an F-150 with the smallest one. When it comes to campers I know less about the weights but know they can be dangerous. I'm just trying to make people aware and avoid situations like this.
In Oregon, it’s extremely common to see a truck with 2 ATVs on the roof pulling 25 foot long trailers. Or a side by side on the bed with its wheels on the roof and a 30 foot trailer. People seem to love to flirt with disaster. Those are probably F250s, but same issues in the end. Lots of big trailers getting pulled down the highway at 75+ MPH.

Lots of people think towing capacity is a suggestion. And they are right
 up until they roll it.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
‘Maybe the top post wasn’t clear enough.

I thought the tongue in cheek lead in was a good tell. This post was meant to to be a joke, not a serious post.

It sort-of worked for the bug because the bug was like 12 foot long (or whatever). On the Cybertruck the gooseneck would be 15 foot long before the trailer even started.
My comments were mostly in response to those taking the idea seriously. I have yet to think of a benefit and a problem that it solves.

Dynamically, I think the weight of the trailer pushing against a turning CT roof will tip the CT more than it has too, and either roll it or cause the wheels to lose traction through the same motion. A heavy trailer even more so.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
‘It always Has been. People just pretend it was never an issue before EVs were around.

If your mileage goes down by 33%, your range just dropped 33%.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
I know it’s all a joke. The VW was hilarious. I sure would like a fifth wheel option though. They are immensely safer and more maneuverable than a bumper pull. Also, easier to hitch, though I am hoping with rear cameras it will make solo hitching easier. When I used to have bumper pulls I would set out planks as guides. PITA

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I know it’s all a joke. The VW was hilarious. I sure would like a fifth wheel option though. They are immensely safer and more maneuverable than a bumper pull. Also, easier to hitch, though I am hoping with rear cameras it will make solo hitching easier. When I used to have bumper pulls I would set out planks as guides. PITA
We don’t know that you can’t use a 5th wheel on the Cybertruck. There are a lot of assumptions floating around out there based on not-a-ton of real information. How much clearance does the trailer need? Has anyone measured this? What is the height of the tallest part of where the 5th wheel will bump into the truck versus a F250?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I don’t tow with either giooseneck or 5th wheel hitches

But goosenecks or 5th wheel hitches (esp those attaching to a trailer of any length), you need to be capable putting the truck @ 90° to the trailer.

for a gooseneck without a box over the hitch, maybe the sails wouldn’t so prohibit, and measurements seem warranted - YMMV vibes

but for something with boxes over the hitch, anything in the area of the CT sails is going to prohibit putting the truck to even 45° of the trailer (the point at which the, eg, front right corner of the trailer box is ‘pointing’ to within inches of the back right corner of the cab)

There’s another unknown with the CT as relates to gooseneck or 5th wheel receivers: the receiver needs sufficient substructure beneath the center of the bed to attach/install the receiver. Being without a traditional frame, we can't say with any certainty the CT has sufficient substructure for even mounting a receiver in the first. If that’s the case, then even boxless gooseneck/5th wheel are not in play.

I can’t say I understand the CT’s substructure, but when I see the photo of the rear CT casting alone, the center of the bed is devoid of any casting substructure.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck trailering explained 46662C2A-8205-44F7-AE49-591489D02A76

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I don’t tow with either giooseneck or 5th wheel hitches

But goosenecks or 5th wheel hitches (esp those attaching to a trailer of any length), you need to be capable putting the truck @ 90° to the trailer.
Tow vehicle being able to do a 90° to the RV trailer is nice capability but is not a requirement.

There are many ICE pickups with 5th wheel hitches that can not do 90° to the RV trailer.

One of the big selling points of slider 5th wheel hitches is during turns, for the 5th wheel hitch extending/moving further into the rear to give more room. This concept might work with Cybertruck too. We don't know yet.

There’s another unknown with the CT as relates to gooseneck or 5th wheel receivers: the receiver needs sufficient substructure beneath the center of the bed to attach/install the receiver. Being without a traditional frame, we can't say with any certainty the CT has sufficient substructure for even mounting a receiver in the first. If that’s the case, then even boxless gooseneck/5th wheel are not in play.

I can’t say I understand the CT’s substructure, but when I see the photo of the rear CT casting alone, the center of the bed is devoid of any casting substructure.

46662C2A-8205-44F7-AE49-591489D02A76.jpeg

Parts of the casting are under the bed but at that camera angle we do not know how far it extends and what verticals holes there might be for mounting stuff ( 5th wheel hitch, telescoping boom crane/hoist, heavy-duty paint gun mount, rocket launcher mount, support post for extendable sunflower solar array, etc.)

-----------------------------

Musk says Cybertruck to get paintball machine gun mounted on bed rails?!
Start date Sep 28, 2020
Thread starter Administrator
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...ntball-machine-gun-mounted-on-bed-rails.1729/

Elon Musk 7:58 PM · Sep 27, 2020
What about a heavy duty, paintball machine gun mounted on the bed rails?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck trailering explained 1681020659368

Solar Panels That Act Like Sunflowers | The Henry Ford's Innovation Nation
In this segment of The Henry Ford's Innovation Nation, Alie Ward meets with Jim Gordon, the CEO of SmartFlower -- a company that is re-imagining solar panel design. SmartFlower was inspired by the way sunflowers open when the sun comes up and follow the sun throughout the day. SmartFlower Solar System acts in the same way by tracking the position of the sun to get the most optimal amount of power at every point of the day. It can be used for commercial or residential use, and it can even charge an electric vehicle. Among SmartFlower's other abilities, it can measure wind speed and automatically close if it gets too windy. It also contains built-in brushes that sweep the panels clean of debris each time it opens and closes.
Aug 15, 2020
The Henry Ford

----------

Robotic Flower Solar Panels | Future House | Ask This Old House
Ask This Old House home technology expert Ross Trethewey sees a robotic, ground mounted solar array that mimics a sunflower.
Apr 10, 2019
This Old House

------

Tesla Cybertruck Solar Panels Here is a visual effects 3D model showing off what a Tesla Cybertruck might look like with solar panels. Elon Mush once tweeted that he wanted solar panels on Tesla cars...but his engineers said it was not feasible with the space needed/efficiency available for the panels on the glass on the previous vehicles. But the back panel on the Cybertruck could be one of the first models that could take advantage of the back glass pane to have solar panels. It is projected that maybe engineers could design the Cybertruck's solar panels to provide enough solar power to get 15 miles of charge in one solar day. Tesla Cybertruck Solar Panels This video is based on a visual effects design by Slave Popovski from Instagram.
Jul 13, 2020
Your Dad Academy

-----

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck trailering explained p10-anim

The Western Mule Telescoping Boom pickup truck cranes are hoists with a pedestal design for mounting in your pickup truck bed or any other platform.
https://westernmule.com/pickup-truck-cranes.html

Sponsored

Last edited: