Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Yeah, but what I want a truck for is to carry sheets of plywood.

-Crissa
Then the Cybertruck will suit you perfectly if that is you primary objective.

With a 6.5 ft bed and the tail gate down, you got 8ft sheets comfortably, and if the pass through is big enough you may be able to do it with the tail gate up.

But a 5 ft bed and the tail gate down, one will be able to carry 8ft lengths
in either the Mini Cybertruck or the Hummer EV.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
And the suggestion is that the Hummer will have rear wheel steering to a degree.
Which along with what's been determined as approx. 3600 Nm (15,600 Nm vs approx 12,000 Nm)
more torque than the Tri Motor Cybertruck.
(which means it will be brilliant at rock crawling, especially with a better break over angle )
This would certainly be a benefit for offroad people. I love going offroad and I have a jeep with no doors, windows, windshield, and easily removeable side mirrors. The Cybertruck probably won't be able to do half of what my jeep can offroad, but at the same time, neither will the Hummer. I'll definitely do some offroading with the Cybertruck, but with a vehicle that will be my daily drive and haul truck, I wouldn't put it through what i've put my jeep through because of all the glass and how nice I want to keep it. I feel like a lot of people that buy a Hummer will probably feel the same, I'll take it down trails and maybe go up some rocky hills if they aren't too steep.

Also you meantioned the Break over angle. While I agree that the Cybertruck's wheelbase will recude the break over angle, the Cybertruck does still have a larger ground clearance than other trucks which will help the break over angle. We also don't actually know the Hummer's ground clearnance or its approach/departure angel which will be a huge factor for things like rock crawling.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
While not definitive, it can be deduced reasonably accurately.

Cybertruck : 149.9 inch wheelbase and 16 inch ground clearance.
Hummer EV : approx. 128 inch wheelbase, and approx. 11 - 12 inch ground clearance.

Equals about 2 deg better break over angle for the Hummer.

Of course that's if the estimated numbers for the Hummer are approx. what is revealed in about 7 weeks time. But its not a stretch, knowing that its about 2ft shorter than the Cybertruck.

And because it is a Hummer, by reputation I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers come out better than my estimate.

But perhaps I am completely wrong and Hummer have stuffed it up.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's hard to tell with all these old companies coming in and doing something new. Sure they might have a prototype (some of them), but they might need to make adjustments. Even Tesla, that has made a million vehicles, was still second guessing the overall size of the Cybertruck. I'm really happy that they decided not to reduce the size, but it seemed like it was a close call.

I really hope that all the companies can do what they are saying they will do

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The GMC Hummer has a pretty short bed judging by the teaser photo. The windshield and front end are blunt and not very aerodynamic. I will pass on the Hummer but I do think it will be a great CT competitor. They will both hit the streets at approximately the same time in Q4 2021.

The futuristic styling and industrial look of the Cybertruck has me hooked. I did not even consider reserving any other brand of BEV pickup. I think Franz and his design team nailed the styling of the Cybertruck. I can guarantee the unconventional styling will grow on the general public once they start seeing them on public roads.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Hummer EV 27F09F04-A1EA-49E5-8138-D65C779D35F5

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
For me the Hummer is the closest other option to the CT. I loved the old Hummers in the 00's, and the new one looks awesome. It will have some advantages over the CT, especially the removable roof. But the CT checks too many boxes, the proven EV track record of Tesla, the charging infrastructure, the bed cover, the self driving, the bullet-proof build. And most of all the styling. I like trucks OK, but I'm not a "truck guy". I prefer sports cars. The CT has a performance car appearance. I like it. If I were buying two expensive EV's, I'd look at a sports car and a hummer. But I'm not, and the CT basically does both for me.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The GMC Hummer reveal is October 20th and it will have “crab mode”. Four wheel steering returns to a GM truck with a complicated system that no truck owner has ever asked for. It’s nothing but marketing.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Hummer EV 39A0EC2F-0346-4D74-9E66-858047398B4B

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I agree with you there and personally they have never impressed me. While the militaries wide body diesel was quite a capable vehicle the civilian version was nowhere near as good. Nothing “tough“ about it and isn’t IMO competitor to the CT. While it’s great to have other manufacturers come out with EV’s none of them except Tesla are really building out the charging stations. Tesla to me has addressed this more than anybody else and the adoption of solar with battery backup at the charging stations seems like a no-brainer to me. I certainly understand the need to charge people for the charging also.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The GMC Hummer reveal is October 20th and it will have “crab mode”. Four wheel steering returns to a GM truck with a complicated system that no truck owner has ever asked for. It’s nothing but marketing.

39A0EC2F-0346-4D74-9E66-858047398B4B.jpeg
Yeah i agree, i dont see when the hell i would ever use this.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Off road or in tight situations four-wheel steering is kinda handy, and with the way electrics are made, shouldn't have the massive problems previous implementations had.

EV drive trains are small, straightforward, and the linkages aren't as dire.

Probably cost too much, tho.

-Crissa

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Crab mode to me is like tank mode on the rivian... maybe there would be a use for it, but very rarely... that said, I think it would be cool to have :)

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If crab mode lets you drive sideways, it would be great for parking. Although I don't think it would be all that impressive over Tesla with their parking feature, which I hope is greatly improved before I get my Cybertruck. My biggest hope is for Tesla to allow you to park in a spot that isn't between two cars and maybe even show the parking spots on the screen for you to select one. I always park closer to the back in parking lots to minimize door dents and because I don't mind walking an extra 30 seconds.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If crab mode lets you drive sideways, it would be great for parking. Although I don't think it would be all that impressive over Tesla with their parking feature, which I hope is greatly improved before I get my Cybertruck. My biggest hope is for Tesla to allow you to park in a spot that isn't between two cars and maybe even show the parking spots on the screen for you to select one. I always park closer to the back in parking lots to minimize door dents and because I don't mind walking an extra 30 seconds.
what door dents?! lol

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
what door dents?! lol
Like when someone drives 60mph in a parking lot and slams into my Cybertruck, totaling their vehicle. I don't want to come out and see a door dent after that.

But that's mostly for my current car. If I were to drive even my current Truck, I would probably park at the back just because of the size. The Cybertruck isn't that much wider than other large vehicles but it's still pretty wide and it's actually longer than the minimum requirement of a parking space by about a foot.

I actually looked for some average parking spot sizes in other countries and I can see why they would want a smaller Cybertruck for outside of North America.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would use it every day if it were available like the flip of a gear.

Nothing like needing a three-point turn to park to make you enjoy having a tight turning radius. I have to do a two-point just to get my motorcycle out.

-Crissa

My current car has been hit three times in parking lots, and I follow a similar rule. Tho all the hits have been when I parked further away...
Sponsored