Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The CT may look like a piece from the future, but I can see people being put off by its stark point of difference.

CT will win people over, but not one thing is for everyone.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
IMG_7286.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

I saw this Rivian on the road.
Looks like the rear tires are not 90 degrees to the pavement. :unsure:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Rivian R1T size and design comparison -- parked next to each other Rivian tires not 90 degrees

runnerx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But isn't the CT, on that picture, lowered?
Yes but you can say the same for Rivian. The rear bumper on the CT is hanging out a lot more than the bumper on the Rivian, it is not going to make much of a difference even if max height is slightly higher than the Rivian.

j4ypal

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and CT Tri-Motor reservation
Country flag
An F150 is full sized. CT is not. Pic from another thread.
IMG_0006.png
That is a good point of reference, thanks. I did not realize the difference in interior space before this.

Backseat space is not a dealbreaker to me, we don't have to deal with baby seats anymore and rarely haul more than 1 person back there. So this doesn't change anything for me but still good information to have.

Reactions: CHC

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag

Rivian tires not 90 degrees.jpg

[/QUOTE]

fully lowered, esp the highway setting, the Rivian does get to negative camber

it’s part of why Rivian owners with lots of highway driving chew through tires

it’s also a common thing with vehicles with adaptive air suspension with both low and high settings

at some point, physics of suspension require negative camber when very low, and positive camber when really high

will be interesting to see if/how Tesla addresses this

TTz

First Name
TTz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
That is a good point of reference, thanks. I did not realize the difference in interior space before this.

Backseat space is not a dealbreaker to me, we don't have to deal with baby seats anymore and rarely haul more than 1 person back there. So this doesn't change anything for me but still good information to have.

Look how many four door wranglers have sold with little back doors, limited backseat legroom, and poor gas mileage.
Most autos are purchased for commuting. Secondarily, for family transport. For full size adult transport, towing, off-roading are niche uses.
This truck will be very successful..even with all these perceived shortcomings.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag

Rivian tires not 90 degrees.jpg
fully lowered, esp the highway setting, the Rivian does get to negative camber

it’s part of why Rivian owners with lots of highway driving chew through tires

it’s also a common thing with vehicles with adaptive air suspension with both low and high settings

at some point, physics of suspension require negative camber when very low, and positive camber when really high

will be interesting to see if/how Tesla addresses this
[/QUOTE]

It’s up to Rivian to replace customers tires. Design flaw.🤔

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
Proof that the Cybertruck is NOT a full size truck?
The silliness on what constitutes a "full-sized truck" going to get weird.
Is the 2004 (tenth generation) F150 full-sized? It is only 225 inches long with a Supercrew.
What about the 11th generation 2008 F150 at 224 inches?
Who knew the first eleven generations of the F150 were mid-sized trucks until Ford finally hit the 232 inch length Supercrew on the 12th generation?

CHC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Model X
Country flag
Look how many four door wranglers have sold with little back doors, limited backseat legroom, and poor gas mileage.
Most autos are purchased for commuting. Secondarily, for family transport. For full size adult transport, towing, off-roading are niche uses.
This truck will be very successful..even with all these perceived shortcomings.
There are reasons crew cab, full size trucks are the best selling vehicles in America by a long shot, and those reasons include full size adult transport, towing, and off-roading.

The size is fine for me personally, but just voicing potential concerns for its appeal to the broader market and direct competition with the F150

Last edited:

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
There are reasons crew cab, full size trucks are the best selling vehicles in America by a long shot, and those reasons include full size adult transport, towing, and off-roading.

The size is fine for me personally, but just voicing potential concerns for its appeal to the broader market and direct competition with the F150
I guess the upside is intercepting both market segments (mid and full size) with a single vehicle, the downside is a compromise that pleases nobody.

Makes a lot of sense if they do sell it globally and/or intend to make an SUV variant. Otherwise it's not immediately clear whether compromising on second row or bed length in favor of garageability is the correct choice, as you say there's a reason why full size trucks are the best sellers. Then again ICE customers don't recharge at home so it might not translate to EVs in the samey way.
Sponsored