Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Do you need a hug, Charlie? 'Cause I'm not arguing with you, and even if I were, I'd give ya a hug.

The forum has been pretty flakey for me the last couple weeks.

-Crissa
yea, a hug would be nice.

I can never argue with you Crissa , you are a great soul. 🤗

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It will be a long time before competitors can come up with the material science, component tech, construction process to get anywhere near as competitive to make a profit. (AND delete the middle man)
The big problem is they have massive amounts of debt on their existing technology and production equipment which very soon will be little more than a burden on their bottom line. They need a bailout that lets them restructure and it’s not clear the administration is willing to let them do it because it would likely cause a huge disruption in the union workforce.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
The big problem is they have massive amounts of debt on their existing technology and production equipment which very soon will be little more than a burden on their bottom line. They need a bailout that lets them restructure and it’s not clear the administration is willing to let them do it because it would likely cause a huge disruption in the union workforce.
More likely they will trudge on until they can file re organization under bankruptcy. My Airline did that and it has been able to cut jobs, pensions, and get rid of lots of debts.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can only guess that the people at Rivian understand fixed and variable cost and didn't price their vehicle such that they couldn't make money. Tesla has been counting pennies and ounces for the last 10 years. They have a huge advantage but others will borrow from their work. The loss per vehicle is mostly overhead and tooling which gets spread over move vehicles with volume. Without detailed cost data I won't continue this debate. I don't care that much.
This is my super-cynical take on Rivian. I do think it’s a nice, very capable truck truck in a lot of ways so not trash talking the truck here.

Everything about Rivian and the R1T pivot around their IPO. They were under an absolutely massive amount of pressure from their VC investors to get a vehicle out the door and drive deliveries. The R1T was designed to capture as much public interest as possible, drive pre-orders, and enter production so their VCs could get a big cash out.

Rivian made a ton of compromises to get the truck out the door. Cory from Munro did a review of the Cybertruck undercarriage and they busted out the Rivian undercarriage and it was a beast. Very heavy, very obviously expensive to manufacture. Munro reviews it on a hoist review. Lots of hand welded extrusions Munro says “A whole new level in cost”. It’s the sort of thing you’d see in a prototype, but they are shipping it.

The Rivian R1T was built under a tremendous amount of pressure to get the product out the door in time for their IPO. It’s like the old diagram: Speed, Quality, Price. You get to pick 2. Rivian picked Quality and Speed and now they are paying the price… over and over and over again.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If the marketing department is in charge, there will be a quad motor CYBERTRUCK.
If the engineers, remembering the mantra of "The best part is no part" holds sway, a Dual Motor CYBERTRUCK will be the top spec.
After watching the recent @ConnectingODots video on the floating capabilities of the Cybertruck, it is possible that a 4-motor trim has another thing going for it.
Sponsored