Dashboard colour update in Gig Texas photos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 AWD LR M3, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Saw the latest photos of the CT in Texas and noticed the all white dash, changed from the marble look in the initial reveal. Does anybody know anything about this material, like how one would go about changing its colour so that it lasts and still looks professional. Can it be painted? If so, with what? Does it have a process that would prevent any change to its outer colouring from sticking? just wondering about future options. Until the end game reveal, who knows what the interior might look like. If it has a workman's finish (rubber floors as standard) that high end white dash would not be practical in many dirty situations. I like clean and futuristic, but not sure about white in a truck.
Sponsored

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
prototype... it was fun to see a CT out in the wild, but this is not the final CT, so details should be taken w/ a grain of salt, especially ones on the interior

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
It was white last year on Jay Leno's Garage. Regarding material, it's compressed recycled paper iirc.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The Cybertruck in the Jay Leno video had the same license plate numbers, as this one at Giga Texas. Yes I know dealer plates can be moved to different vehicles. I'm just stating the facts.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I really had no problem with the 'marble' dash in the beginning, upon first noticing it at the Reveal Event.

It kind of reminded me of the styling inside of Stargate series ships like the Al'kesh and Ha'tak motherships, mainly because they included 'organic' elements throughout their interior style architecture, along with having lots of angular and straight edges. To me the 'marble' dash was just another theme aspect for strength and being solid, for which I think stainless steel and stone might do well.

I was thinking the marble was some sort of faux (but solid) surface slab likely made of epoxy/resins and aggregates combined. I figured I could always wrap it if I didn't like it, but it was OK. But then a little later during test rides at the Reveal, the Tesla rep said the dash was made of 'recycled' paper, and that kind of ruined it for me (my perception of it anyway).

In reflection I think I'll almost have to cover it with a wrap or protective surface, especially if the 'paper' made it to final production. Unless there is already a bonding agent or resin that totally seals the paper fibers from the surface, doesn't it seem likely that a paper surface on a dash would be a dirt, grunge, and germ 'magnet' over time?

Maybe someone who was in the front seat during a test ride, might have put their hand on it and can tell us what it actually felt like.
Sponsored