Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
IT’s official, I now own a truck. I picked it up in Charlotte. I learned a few things that I want to share in a single post to help others. Note: updated based on others feedback and mypickup.

• Once you have a VIN, you are able to contact a delivery advisor/contact/team. Once they message you about the order, you can message back.
    • If you tap the message icon in the upper right of the app, you can send them messages, and they will answer (albeit slowly and not to every message).
    • I asked them when I might be able to schedule. They responded with "how about Thursday?" Maybe I was lucky, but who knows when they would have gotten around to it if I didn't ask.
    • Based on the messages back and forth, they populated the delivery date in the app. I never click the button and picked a date.
  • You can change from cash to financing after you get a VIN AND delivery date with no noticeable issues.
    • After Tesla offered me a delivery date in 2 days. I quickly switched form Cash to financing in the app and got a loan done with Bank of America (5.75%) done in 1 day. After I changed it, all my agreements updated in real time with new info I needed to finish BofA financing. Tesla's tech pays off here.
    • Don't assume a lot of time from VIN to delivery. Get the basics of financing done so you are not rushed like me. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe VINs are being assigned after they get to SC. I will try to ask tomorrow to confirm.
    • You can pay the down payment with either check or wire or bank account in the app. You cannot pay any of these with a credit card. There are separate wiring instructions for down payment and financial payment on the purchase agreement instructions.
  • Someone from Tesla called me the day before delivery.
    • This could have been because I was chatting questions or it could be standard. However, they did confirm basic details, so I am guessing it's standard.
  • You do NOT need to make final payment before delivery day. As far as I can tell from my experience and reading others, paying ahead of time doesn't help you get the truck quicker.

• You do MAY NOT need to insure the VIN before delivery day.
    • Message them and ask. Based on your state, you may or may not have to get Insurance on the VIN first. I only needed to upload proof that I had ANY car insurance policy. I uploaded proof of insurance of another vehicle. This was verbally confirmed on the phone with Tesla.
  • For me, the stock owner submission didn't seem to help at all.
    • I received the email to submit extra verification AFTER they scheduled me for pickup. This is interesting as my account is linked to Schwab, so I am not sure why they need me to send documents.
    • I ended up completing this because my delivery day was delayed due to a part that needed to be replaced. Maybe it will help with delivery
    • The delivery advisor had no idea about the stock submission, apparently that’s over the service center staff.
  • I am doubting most theories of what determines what gets you a Cybertruck and when. I don't think that most of the small things matter, but we just hope they do. I bet there is a simpler explanation. ie. someone made up a percentage of trucks that ship to locations and that's why some with low numbers wait longer.

• A Charlotte rep told me that Charlotte has delivered 7 trucks and had 6 more there. They are getting them quicker and have had less issues they have had to fix at the service center (as of 3/30/24)

• Don’t assume a quick and easy pickup. You may get lucky, but There are lots of stories of delayed and cancelled deliveries due to issues. I am one of them. I would mentally prepare for issue and be happy if there are none!

• I waited 93 days for a VIN (AWD), my first notification of a VIN was a text that I had a new message from Tesla in the app. No emails.
  • I was told that they are waiting to assign VINs until the truck is at the service center or almost there. Not sure if they are doing that everywhere.
  • I was told that the trucks arriving now have had fewer issues they need to fix. My truck looked pretty good with only a few minor panel alignment issues
  • When you pick up your truck, expect it to be a show. Everyone will crowd around and probably think it’s a show car and try to sit in it. to be there for at least a little bit setting things up and learning how things work. Especially if you are coming from an older Tesla
  • The steering is amazing, but definitely gets some taking used to! I don’t recommend venturing into heavy traffic for a bit.
  • Don’t let them put wheel shine on, or make sure they wipe it off good before you drive. It will sling all over the side of your truck on the way home!
  • Everyone will stare and take pictures. On the 1.5 hour drive home, we stopped counting at 15 people who were taking pictures of us while driving. Just enjoy this and let others live through you. Get good at saying “I would love to stay and chat more, but I have somewhere I need to be! Maybe I’ll see you around again?”
RN#: RN11274xxxx
Configured: 12/19/23
VIN received: 3/22/23
Scheduled Delivery: 3/28/24 (originally)
Delivery Date: 3/30/24 (no doubt to count revenue in the quarter! lol)

Let me know if I missed any common questions. I can try to ask in person and update this post.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
um, in the messaging icon in my app i dont see any delivery advisor option .. only the old messages ive gotten and news updates v does anyone have an option for this with a vin and no delivery date ?

Cold.Truth

First Name
Big A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 CT AWD, 1987 Carerra, 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Occupation
I.T. Project Management
Country flag
This is SUPER helpful, Derek. I really appreciate it. I just sold my place in Midland, NC, just east of Charlotte, and I already miss the place. Might have gotten my CT sooner than here on Arrakis (NM).

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
um, in the messaging icon in my app i dont see any delivery advisor option .. only the old messages ive gotten and news updates v does anyone have an option for this with a vin and no delivery date ?
You usually don't have this until your delivery is actually being scheduled. My showroom doesn't even send this message out normally, they just call. The schedule button never appears in the app. It just goes right from greyed out to scheduled until after they call and make the appointment over the phone.

OP
OP

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
If you are viewing the cybertruck in your app where it says "Make sure to complete tasks..." - in the upper right is a speech bubble icon that holds all tesla messages. Once I got a VIN, I received a message with the subject "Cybertruck Order xyz" with a message to complete additional tasks. I was able to reply to that message and ask questions.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
If you are viewing the cybertruck in your app where it says "Make sure to complete tasks..." - in the upper right is a speech bubble icon that holds all tesla messages. Once I got a VIN, I received a message with the subject "Cybertruck Order xyz" with a message to complete additional tasks. I was able to reply to that message and ask questions.
Guess it must be up to each delivery location if they want to use that because none of that happened for me.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Very well could be. I won’t sell any of this as Gospel. But hopefully it helps some others.
i wish i had that it would be nice lol

OP
OP

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
My delivery was postponed. Tesla said there was a stop order on deliveries due to a part related to the airbag assembly. Described as the bracket that holds the airbag, but not safety related. I’m not confident in that description, but it is what it is. They said it Likely affects many trucks, and seems like all trucks in Charlotte. They were hopeful they would have a part within a week. 🫤

it seemed too good to be true!

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYLR, 2024 FSCT AWD on order
Country flag
Drag!! Hopefully they get you your CT quickly!!

BorisJGR

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model X
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
I was just scheduled to pick up my truck tomorrow in Charlotte. I learned a few things that I want to share in a single post to help others. Note: until tomorrow fully happens, not all of this 100% certain.

• Once you have a VIN, you have a delivery advisor, but you may not know it.
    • If you tap the message icon in the upper right of the app, you can send them messages, and they will answer (albeit slowly and not to every message).
    • I asked them when I might be able to schedule. They responded with "how about Thursday?" Maybe I was lucky, but who knows when they would have gotten around to it if I didn't ask.
    • Based on the messages back and forth, they populated the delivery date in the app. I never click the button and picked a date.
  • You can change from cash to financing after you get a VIN AND delivery date with no noticeable issues.
    • After Tesla offered me a delivery date in 2 days. I quickly switched form Cash to financing in the app and got a loan done with Bank of America (5.75%) done in 1 day. After I changed it, all my agreements updated in real time with new info I needed to finish BofA financing. Tesla's tech pays off here.
    • Don't assume a lot of time from VIN to delivery. Get the basics of financing done so you are not rushed like me. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe VINs are being assigned after they get to SC. I will try to ask tomorrow to confirm.
    • You can pay the down payment with either check or wire or bank account in the app. There are separate wiring instructions for down payment and financial payment on the purchase agreement instructions.
  • Someone from Tesla called me the day before delivery.
    • This could have been because I was chatting questions or it could be standard. However, they did confirm basic details, so I am guessing it's standard.
  • You do NOT need to make final payment before delivery day. As far as I can tell from my experience and reading others, paying ahead of time doesn't help you get the truck quicker.

• You do NOT need to insure the VIN before delivery day.
    • You only need to upload proof that you have ANY car insurance policy. I uploaded proof of insurance of another vehicle. This was verbally confirmed on the phone with Tesla.
  • For me, the stock owner submission didn't seem to help at all.
    • I received the email to submit extra verification AFTER they scheduled me for pickup. This is interesting as my account is linked to Schwab, so I am not sure why they need me to send documents. I probably won't do this since I am already scheduled.
  • I am doubting most theories of what determines what gets you a Cybertruck and when. I don't think that most of the small things matter, but we just hope they do. I bet there is a simpler explanation. ie. someone made up a percentage of trucks that ship to locations and that's why some with low numbers wait longer.

• A Charlotte rep told me that Charlotte have received (maybe delivered?) about 10 trucks. They said my truck was there and ready and had no issues. But did say if they find anything on final clean up this evening they would notify me. (not sure what to make of that)

• I waited 93 days for a VIN (AWD), my first notification of a VIN was a text that I had a new message from Tesla in the app. No emails.

Let me know if I missed any common questions. I can try to ask in person and update this post.

Congrats!! I’m in Charlotte, too. Configured AWD on 12/26 so I’m hoping for news soon.

BeardedSasquach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
My delivery was postponed. Tesla said there was a stop order on deliveries due to a part related to the airbag assembly. Described as the bracket that holds the airbag, but not safety related. I’m not confident in that description, but it is what it is. They said it Likely affects many trucks, and seems like all trucks in Charlotte. They were hopeful they would have a part within a week. 🫤

it seemed too good to be true!
Well I guess no VINS and no deliveries for the next two weeks. I will then be well past 100 days……….

Thatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I brought a certified check....balance due was slightly different at pickup and I just needed to send them a few dollars more in the app. I really recommend not paying in advance if you can get your hands on a certified check. Tesla said a certified check would in no way slow down delivery.

Pkizle

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Same experience. They told me it was scheduled to be delivered on Saturday 3/30. I called today to ask if I should plan to pick it up that day or wait until next week. She said it was there now and that I could come tomorrow at 4pm. It auto updated delivery time shortly after. Taking certified check.
Sponsored