Does anyone think All wheel Steering will be available on all models?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The volume inside the sails storage is directly above the tyre, which is a difficult place for a shock tower without a super high hub knuckle. Better off having a F1 style pushrod setup with horizontal shock and spring inboard and keep it compact and tidy by integrating all the mounting points into the rear cast.
Tesla Cybertruck Does anyone think All wheel Steering will be available on all models? 279D70AD-0A3B-438A-9499-CCFEE8F80784

Critically, notice that the floor of the rear bed is below tire height occupying space needed to accommodate F-1 cantilever.
Notice, the 2X distance above the wheel arch as opposed to terminating up-travel at the wheel arch(i.e. conventional). Tesla owns the structural framework above the tire all the way to the top chord of sailplane.
Tesla Cybertruck Does anyone think All wheel Steering will be available on all models? 3E4CE368-9BDA-429A-BC2F-8DEC993163F9

This M-B air suspension shock is illustrative of double wishbobe and a dynamic air/shock type device. Takeaway, if you will, that the mounting system chosen for this embodiment does not surface mount at the top terminus. Tesla mounts at the top of its car air/shock. SO it’s not using the full degree of freedom afforded by the exoskeleton if it mounts car air/shocks.
Thus Tesla could use the additional distance above the tire-to-top of sailplane for wheel/shock travel at the rear wishbones. By using the structural casting as the mount point for the shock a taller shock can be used extending up and into the sailplane free space. All shock and bearing load occurs on the casting(prob. steel fishplate reinforced). Cybertruck gains wheel travel(read droop) and affords larger air reservoirs required.
Lastly, since structurally, nothing has changed the integrity of the design engineering remains intact. Cybertruck gains wheel travel, more shock working length(read stroke) and air reserve.
Tesla Cybertruck Does anyone think All wheel Steering will be available on all models? B9966EB0-22CC-49D7-97D4-5F0AB76E272B

-Deleted- are the shock/air top mount embodiment used in cars.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You can buy it from Monroe when the CT is released. Let us know. ;)

Btw, loving that my formerly unpopular opinion that they will only produce a quad motor (to save on manufacturing costs associated with complexity of lines with many options) sold in software limited variants for cheaper models is now seemingly more acceptable to the larger crowd!

I will enjoy that when it comes to fruition.
I really don't get how a 4 motor setup with software limited variants would work. If the motors are not being used to push the vehicle, isn't the vehicle essentially pulling those extra motors? Basically just moving the motors without charge just like the vehicle was being towed? And doesn't Tesla tell us not to do that cause it will overheat the motors and cause damage?

Seems like there would have to be extra disconnects between the motor and the wheels so that the motors would not be moving whenever the wheels were. Which seems like extra parts to break and bring unnecessary higher costs.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
:ROFLMAO:
It is always a good idea to reverse into a parking space rather than reverse out of it.

Parking spaces are usually surrounded by static objects. Usually other cars and a parking barricade. When you reverse into a parking space, you have great visibility as you approach the stall and so long as you don’t hit the cars which aren’t moving, it’s a safe movement.

Parking lot isles are filled with moving objects of all shapes and sizes. When you reverse out of a parking space, your visibility is massively limited and you are backing into a space with other moving cars and pedestrians which you often can’t see until they are already in danger of getting struck. If there are 2 cars reversing towards each other, you often only have a fraction of a second for both drivers to react or you collide.

(Ideally you pull through into the next stall and never have to reverse.)

4 wheel steering doesn’t change this at all.
To macho to use a reversing camera? :ROFLMAO:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I really don't get how a 4 motor setup with software limited variants would work. If the motors are not being used to push the vehicle, isn't the vehicle essentially pulling those extra motors? Basically just moving the motors without charge just like the vehicle was being towed? And doesn't Tesla tell us not to do that cause it will overheat the motors and cause damage?

Seems like there would have to be extra disconnects between the motor and the wheels so that the motors would not be moving whenever the wheels were. Which seems like extra parts to break and bring unnecessary higher costs.
Perpetual motion. 😝

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
:ROFLMAO:
To macho to use a reversing camera? :ROFLMAO:
On my one car which has a reversing camera, it’s perfect for reversing into parking stalls.

When I’m pulling out into traffic and potentially running over small children, I prefer the full field of view I get out the front windshield. Particularly since (Like most 50+ year olds) I need reading glasses and the screen in the Tesla is just a little blurry, but my vision is perfect out the window.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Some people see speculation as fact, others fact as speculation. 😋

Fact is all CT models will have 4WS as standard. The feature will cost Tesla less than $1000 to implement. All models will also have Quad motors. There won't be a single at all, and a dual motor will be rear wheel drive only, and only come out in a few years.

Either way you are right that the 4WS will be standard on a quad motor, it's just that all CT's will be Quad motors and therefore have 4WS standard.😋

Now I speculate the above facts are true, because I believe Tesla is making a smaller CF wrapped quad motor to make the QM CT affordable and standard accross the range. If this speculation is incorrect than so are the facts I presented, and it becomes a fact that Tesla isn't as innovative as I thought.
:cool:
I suspect there is a fact in there somewhere.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
On my one car which has a reversing camera, it’s perfect for reversing into parking stalls.

When I’m pulling out into traffic and potentially running over small children, I prefer the full field of view I get out the front windshield. Particularly since (Like most 50+ year olds) I need reading glasses and the screen in the Tesla is just a little blurry, but my vision is perfect out the window.
I have my reversing camera set in such a way that I can see if a small child is sitting behind my car. It's handy for parallel parking, too.

-Crissa

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

True true. Really need a nose camera to see in front of the hood though. No not the one you put up your nose silly, one for the nose of the car! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

In the CT this will especially be a problem I think because of the a and b pillars and just how far you are sitting back from the front.

Surely CT will trump Hummer for outside cameras?

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is beginning to remind me of the $15k toilet seat (or whatever) in government contracts. (Although, I do believe there is a huge amount of waste in many government contracts... that's another issue.)

When asked for an itemized cost of all fabricated items for a particular project they started at the top of the list and made their best guess as to the cost of A, B, C, D, etc. They finally got to the last item a "toilet seat" and had $15k left to allot--and boom: a $15k toilet seat.

When you're making a soup, stew, or casserole, how do you really know how much adding a single ingredient will affect the price on the menu... especially when you have no idea what that ingredient costs.

Hey! How the heck did I get up here on this soapbox????
(Sheepishly stepping down...)
Back in the day, those hammers and toilet seats were a way of hiding funds for “black” projects. Like wiretapping Soviet cables under water, or raising a Soviet sub.

darinduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 P85D Model S; 2001 Silverado 1500
Occupation
Design Director
Country flag
Tesla rarely makes major features vary in a model. It would make the trucks drive and turn very differently, and would make one truck less safe and need different AI to drive it.

So no, I think they'll work on making it into all the models.

The dash tho? Maybe? They've never had different dashes, either.

-Crissa
You raise a good point regarding autopilot/FSD. They would need separate code for the 2WS vs. 4WS. More versions is more complexity to manage forever.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You raise a good point regarding autopilot/FSD. They would need separate code for the 2WS vs. 4WS. More versions is more complexity to manage forever.
Why?

I seriously doubt the FSD code would be significantly different for 2WD versus 4WD.

(Edit…. oops. I misread. If you are moderately observant you can see my mistake. Just disregard this post)

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why?

I seriously doubt the FSD code would be significantly different for 2WD versus 4WD.
Turning radius would be vastly different. The AI expecting four wheel steering would always be missing the target when only two wheel steering was available.

It's have to have it for crippled robotaxi mode but even then, it could be in a special limited capability situation just getting off the road to ask for help.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Turning radius would be vastly different. The AI expecting four wheel steering would always be missing the target when only two wheel steering was available.

It's have to have it for crippled robotaxi mode but even then, it could be in a special limited capability situation just getting off the road to ask for help.

-Crissa
Umm… yeah 4 wheel steering…. read the fine topic Ogre.

Still doesn’t seem like a software maintenance issue to me.

const turnRadius = hasAllWheelSteering ? 20 : 35;

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

-Crissa
Umm… yeah 4 wheel steering…. read the fine topic Ogre.

Still doesn’t seem like a software maintenance issue to me.

const turnRadius = hasAllWheelSteering ? 20 : 35;
Hmmmmm…. While the code you show is simple enough to understand, it’s not what the AI would use.