Does anyone think All wheel Steering will be available on all models?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I am on the list for a dual motor and I am still fine with that, but the four wheel steering seems like a nice feature.
I feel like this will only be offered on the highest-end model at a nice premium.
Does anyone have a reason to think otherwise? Maybe it will be easier to add the AWS hardware to models with fewer motors? Or perhaps it will be an easy way to add a nice 10k option to any model?
I don’t care. RWS isn’t necessity. Had 1972 Chev Crewcab dually. What a stretch! It wasn’t difficult to avoid cutting curbs and Elon cones.
Importantly, AT-style tires treat curbs like rock and nicely lift the vehicle over. AT sidewalls are so compliant its actually NBD to the tire or the passengers. BUT you’ll get all kinds of feedback from Karen’s.
RWS is nice, but considering the vehicle, tire fitment and clearance totally no necessity.
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i dont want it on the CT1 i have reserved, if it will increase price.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
How much cost exactly do you think it will add?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I meant how much cost the AWS will add?

Not what the different motor versions will cost.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Ok, how much do you think the front steering costs then? $5k seems too high given all the rest of the parts that make up a CT.

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
Ok, how much do you think the front steering costs then? $5k seems too high given all the rest of the parts that make up a CT.
This is beginning to remind me of the $15k toilet seat (or whatever) in government contracts. (Although, I do believe there is a huge amount of waste in many government contracts... that's another issue.)

When asked for an itemized cost of all fabricated items for a particular project they started at the top of the list and made their best guess as to the cost of A, B, C, D, etc. They finally got to the last item a "toilet seat" and had $15k left to allot--and boom: a $15k toilet seat.

When you're making a soup, stew, or casserole, how do you really know how much adding a single ingredient will affect the price on the menu... especially when you have no idea what that ingredient costs.

Hey! How the heck did I get up here on this soapbox????
(Sheepishly stepping down...)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I haven't made a stew in a long while, but I have soup at least once a week. I'm not a bean counter though, I just don't like beans, so I don't own any to count. As such my costings can be all over the show. 😋

It never fails to surprise me though how easy it is to overestimate fabrication costs.

I think the tendency is that if you take something as a standalone, one peice, custom product that isn't commonly available, one ends up with quite high cost expectations. This might be true for a hand sculpture but as soon as you scale it up with mass production you start approaching the raw material resource cost, and then you start fiddling with that too, and bang, all of a sudden you're sitting on a gold mine.

I was talking to my neighbour the other day that works in a gold mine, he said they are extracting gold at a rate of 3-4g (1/6th ounce) per ton of excavated material. Thats 3,000,000th of a ton of gold, and its still worth it! Just imagine if you had to do that by hand and how high the price of gold would be!

Another fun fact: gold mines sell the gold in the ground before they even extract and process it. I'm going to try that with the carrots I'm growing in my vege garden at the next local farmers market. I'm sure it will take off! You should bring your soapbox and we'll have ourselves a grand ole time! 🥕🍱💰💰💰

One day I'd really like to see the cost breakdown for every part of the CT, and each resource and manufacturing cost.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would expect the opposite. It would be more efficient to produce all vehicles with the same steering mechanism than for individual trims. In fact, the castings might be designed (a guess only) for front and rear steering clearances and suspension) anyway.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Some people see speculation as fact, others fact as speculation. 😋

Fact is all CT models will have 4WS as standard. The feature will cost Tesla less than $1000 to implement. All models will also have Quad motors. There won't be a single at all, and a dual motor will be rear wheel drive only, and only come out in a few years.

Either way you are right that the 4WS will be standard on a quad motor, it's just that all CT's will be Quad motors and therefore have 4WS standard.😋

Now I speculate the above facts are true, because I believe Tesla is making a smaller CF wrapped quad motor to make the QM CT affordable and standard accross the range. If this speculation is incorrect than so are the facts I presented, and it becomes a fact that Tesla isn't as innovative as I thought.
:cool:
I have thought the same as you on the rear end for some time now.

I have pegged the Tesla price per motor/controller at $2000-2500 per motor, just based on 3rd party stuff and intuition. The size doesn't matter too much. (Ogre No!) So for $2250 savings is it worth it for Tesla build a single motor front end on the CT to get AWD? After you deduct the cost of the differential ($750??) you might have a net savings of $1500.

Then there are the economies of scale for fewer parts and simpler manufacturing line. I think you are on to something.

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
One day I'd really like to see the cost breakdown for every part of the CT, and each resource and manufacturing cost.
Oof! I like detail, but that's too much for me! My eyes would be glossing over after the first page! :LOL:
Sponsored