Does anyone think All wheel Steering will be available on all models?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hmmmmm…. While the code you show is simple enough to understand, it’s not what the AI would use.
I’m pretty sure the parts of the code that deal with turn radiuses would be almost exactly like that or equally simply. Just because some parts of the code are a bit of a black box doesn’t mean the entire code base is going to be that way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gvardaman

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Well, I am thinking, after some introspection, that they will be more likely to offer the 4ws on all CT models. It does make sense, Elon didn’t say it would be an option, it will make them more nimbl, save on complexity, etc. - all great points.
As for making one version with four motors and shutting them off for different versions, it seems as though they would already be doing this on other models if it was cost-effective. Maybe not having a single model variant will make that comparison less apt. My greater concer(s) now are cost related. How will these be priced and will they still hold the FSD prices quoted at time of reservation?
I hope I can still afford one when they come out!

kabalah70

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I am not buying a CT with four wheel steering. If that means I never get a CT, then so be it. I don't need it, I don't want it, and I don't want the repair bills that go with it. For that matter, I owned a Model X with air ride suspension and a Model Y without. I much prefer the Model Y, as the Model kept bending the left rear sensor and basically made a tricycle out of my X with drivetrain and tire wear issues. As someone else said quad-steer is very niche. Be nice to see a survey to show how silly Tesla is being putting it on every model. Hopefully, for a model refresh years down the road, they will do a quadsteer delete.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I am not buying a CT with four wheel steering. If that means I never get a CT, then so be it. I don't need it, I don't want it, and I don't want the repair bills that go with it. For that matter, I owned a Model X with air ride suspension and a Model Y without. I much prefer the Model Y, as the Model kept bending the left rear sensor and basically made a tricycle out of my X with drivetrain and tire wear issues. As someone else said quad-steer is very niche. Be nice to see a survey to show how silly Tesla is being putting it on every model. Hopefully, for a model refresh years down the road, they will do a quadsteer delete.
It is true if 4WS is not implemented correctly with the correct geometry we will be getting major tire wear even with the slightest toe in or toe out scenario, which already happens with fixed rear wheels. I definitely don't want to get an alignment every 6 months.

Also im curious if Elon would just use model y performance motors for the dual motor CT to save on costs. Could these motors handle the CT weight and still be semi efficient.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The way Tesla works, and the way they will be able to keep costs down, is to build every CT with as few differences as possible. You see the original trims as differing in battery size and number of motors, 'not' in the suspension, steering, braking, HVAC, displays, windows, body materials, and other internal aspects. You can pretty much take this to the bank. There will not be different kinds of motors or steering systems. If they come out with a performance trim for the CT there might be differences, just like there are for current Model S, X, 3, and Y performance trims, but those differences would go beyond the 'stock' features. Elon has already stated that the CT will have 4WS and so all trims will have it. We have to hope that Tesla does a good job with it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Every indication so far suggests all Cybertrucks will have 4WS.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I am on the list for a dual motor and I am still fine with that, but the four wheel steering seems like a nice feature.
I feel like this will only be offered on the highest-end model at a nice premium.
Does anyone have a reason to think otherwise? Maybe it will be easier to add the AWS hardware to models with fewer motors? Or perhaps it will be an easy way to add a nice 10k option to any model?
Yes.

I say that with all the authority of someone with zero authority.

OP
OP
Gvardaman

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag