Doug DeMuro -The Rivian R1T Is the Coolest Pickup Truck Ever Made

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Great video. I love all the features Rivian has built in. I would use most of them on extended road trips and camping/skiing trips.

A couple thoughts:

1) With SO many doors and latches and features and buttons and automations, there sure are a LOT of little components that could break/fail/clog with dirt over the years.

2) I used to like the concept of the gear tunnel, but after seeing it in detail, I'm starting to wonder if it's actually that useful. Long narrow storage could be great for skis or paddles, but it's just not long enough for that use. Also too narrow for bags, boxes, etc. It's kind of a weird space that's not really designed to fit anything (except the camp kitchen). I do like the gear tunnel door-benches though. Those are fantastic.

3) What's the point of having a truck bed that's too short to fit large items?

Overall, looks like an amazing truck, I'd totally buy one if I had more money to blow.

I hope the Cybertruck incorporates some of these amazing features, but stays true to the minimalist design for the sake of reliability. The Rivian has TOO many features. I'd be happier with half as many features that are really well designed.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Nice features, nobody can argue against a spare tire.

the lint, fur and hair buildup in the frunk leads me to believe the owner did try to abduct someone. ? Hope they include an easy way to clean out the frunk. I am unsure how the mats are to clean and their durability.

Unrelated to the truck, the paint reminds me when avocado kitchens were all the rage.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
OK, so I like some of the features he goes over in Rivian. None of them strike me as required but rather as nice to have and they make the Rivian a bit more unique.

For instance the Gear Guard System (8:48 to 9:47):

Or the remote blue tooth speaker (18:40 to 19:12). With phone charging (he mentions "ports" but points at what looks like a single USBC outlet) and lantern. Though I wonder how well the Bluetooth tech will hold up. This is one of those standards things that can become dated.

The in-door rechargeable flashlight (19:12 to 19:30):

The Nav system seems pretty intuitive and useful (26:41 to 27:31). I like the intuitive point to destination. However, it's kind of rare that I'd actually use that though.

The back of the headrest hook and USBC charge port is nice (33:16 to 33:38):

The storage under the back seats (33:38 to 33:55):

The back seat access to the gear tunnel would be nice to have a cooler back there with cold drinks (33:55 to 34:25):

OTHER THINGS OF NOTE:

In Offroad mode, there is a setting for drifting (25:55)? (25:42 to 19:30) I've never seen anyone trying to drift a Rivian unless you count the tank turn. The drive modes for offroad seem to be: Auto, Rock Crawl, Rally, and Drift. I'm not sure I've ever seen any videos of Rivian's being driven in a Rally kind of scenario. Maybe once actual customers get some Rivians we'll start seeing videos of Drift and Rally.

But OMG. If the frunk space could only have been shrunk in order to give more room in the bed... But since this is more of a rich person toy than a work truck I guess the frunk makes sense.

And it looks like only 2 cup holders in front? Not enough for this parent.

Now to the discussion of price and range (37:29 to 37:29).

He mentions that there are currently 2 versions: Explorer (base model starting at $68k) and Adventure (starts at $74k). Both have 800 hp, 0-60 in 3 sec, and 314 miles of EPA range.

But he says that there is an "even looonger range" version coming. It will be an additional battery for $10k that will extend the range to around 400 miles. Somehow that seems really expensive for just 100 extra miles of range. At least with the CT2 to CT3 upgrade, you get an extra motor with your extra 200 miles of range and still get priced about the same as the Adventure.

Oh, and with his constant obsession with putting people in the various storage areas, you know he had someone getting into and out of those areas. Practice for something later???

===========

At 40:40
Gear tunnel, I think is really cool. This thing has a trunk behind the seats. The gear tunnel. A trunk in front. And that lockable tonneau cover. It has like 70 cubic feet of lockable cargo space. And it's still a truck with a bed.
Well, half a bed.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Because it is mainly marketed to the weekend warriors who only put groceries in the bed. I fall 75% into that demographic. Small bed, not cramp but interior is also small compared to size. Front end got a lot a space… hmmm…just to look like a normal truck?

I do not know if I would order if the CT did not exist. 60/40 that I would.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
2) I used to like the concept of the gear tunnel, but after seeing it in detail, I'm starting to wonder if it's actually that useful. Long narrow storage could be great for skis or paddles, but it's just not long enough for that use. Also too narrow for bags, boxes, etc. It's kind of a weird space that's not really designed to fit anything (except the camp kitchen). I do like the gear tunnel door-benches though. Those are fantastic.
I agree. R1S makes more sense to me. It is a foot shorter and has larger consolidated space you can choose to use how you want (including car camping). You can put a plywood in there too for occasional DIY home improvement jobs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But he says that there is an "even looonger range" version coming. It will be an additional battery for $10k that will extend the range to around 400 miles. Somehow that seems really expensive for just 100 extra miles of range. At least with the CT2 to CT3 upgrade, you get an extra motor with your extra 200 miles of range and still get priced about the same as the Adventure.
This is pretty much in line with how Tesla charges for range differences, though Tesla does often include other features.. Ford is also talking about their 70 mile extended range option being $7,000 which is roughly the same per mile. All 3 trucks are roughly $100/ mile additional range.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s impossible to view this truck without comparing it to the Cybertruck which breaks all my expectations.

Going to be a very frustrating year waiting for all the questions to be wrapped up and deliveries to start.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
im I the only 1 that cant stand this guy?
I have no idea why
I wasn’t into his style of speaking or his strange way of saying the truck was the best ever followed by listing off issues that made it leaving much to be desired. Just made the whole thing seem unreliable and inconsistent. It would be so easy to take quotes out that purported the vehicle to either be the best thing since sliced bread or a total waste of metal. I think he’s trying to be fair and list both pros and cons but he tends to make extreme statements about mediocre features.

Better than some YouTubers but not really to my taste. I wouldn’t trust a highlight reel of his review as it would never show his full view of the item.

Vrakpant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover 109, Ford Transit Custom
Country flag
You know, the Rivian R1T seems quite impressive. Except for almost the whole thing. Why is the front of the car so massive? All of that real estate for a frunk that is too tall to get into to be very practical (reaching over to get into it = getting dirt all over yourself). Isn't some of that space better utilized in the cabin or even THE BED!?
As for me, coming from an arctic country where winter is 4 to 6 months out of the year, the charge port is in the wrong location. Front or rear end is always slushy, dirty and frozen.
The gear tunnel.. I like the door/seat/storage/step up to roof access. The space occupied by the wind tunnel would be better suited in cabin or THE BED.
All in all, I kinda like it. (can't you tell?)

Oh and Doug. Please go to the bathroom before you start the camera.
Cheers.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Still don't like the headlights. A redesign has gotta be in the works.....

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Overall impressed with the R1T. I would be all over it if there was not a Cybertruck announced and it was $20k cheaper.

That being said, Doug was giddy with all of the Interior features like how it will navigate to a charging location on longer trips, the scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel, How the air vents move via the center screen, Yetti Surveillance cameras. All features that are on my 2018 Model 3......

Oh, and did Doug just say "It doesn't feel as fast as Model S Plaid, but it's close" Really???

But give it up to Rivian for being the first automaker for recognizing the advantages that Tesla has and adding those features to their vehicles. The saying goes, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Sponsored