Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Looks cool
Clean forward vision
I can still drive with 95% of normal hand positions

Con
can no longer do left hand center top looking over my right shoulder. Since visibility is so poor physically looking backward, I would need to retrain myself anyway.

If yoke is a paid option, most likely will stick with round. If standard, will adapt. If paid option is low price, probably will get it for the 3rd generation selling as a classic.

Worth 1 million oh wait, did not get the yoke. Worth $25. Of course, the round steering wheel may also make it worth more. ?
Sponsored

JollyRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini-Cooper S Cab
Country flag
Why assume drive by wire?
My 1999 Saab had variable steering ratio as does my Audi. Just search for it:

"AUDI, Dynamic steering varies the steering ratio by nearly 100 percent as a function of driving speed and the setting in the Audi drive select system in which it is integrated. Transitions are continuous and practically imperceptible."

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks cool
Clean forward vision
I can still drive with 95% of normal hand positions

Con
can no longer do left hand center top looking over my right shoulder. Since visibility is so poor physically looking backward, I would need to retrain myself anyway.

If yoke is a paid option, most likely will stick with round. If standard, will adapt. If paid option is low price, probably will get it for the 3rd generation selling as a classic.

Worth 1 million oh wait, did not get the yoke. Worth $25. Of course, the round steering wheel may also make it worth more. ?
The old truck drivers all (?) used a steering wheel knob for backing up. I am looking forward to trying one. I only ever use rear cameras for backing up now so am not overly concerned about poor rear window visibility. All new and that’s good by me, I want the future (even with a knob from the ‘50s) ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The old truck drivers all (?) used a steering wheel knob for backing up. I am looking forward to trying one. I only ever use rear cameras for backing up now so am not overly concerned about poor rear window visibility. All new and that’s good by me, I want the future (even with a knob from the ‘50s) ?

(The one time Homer shows that he's actually good at his job, if you watch the whole clip.)

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I would suggest to Elon to instal on a prototype CT the bicycle handle bar.
Than watch the people asking him to keep such a nice yoke instead.
Aligned with Tesla’s philosophy in reducing parts. They can use the same handlebars as the quad.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
I hope FSD is in full effect by then because the yoke steering wheel is the only thing that I don't like about the CT.

P.s. I know I'm dreaming
If you didn't order your CT in the first day there's a chance of getting the CT and functional FSD together in about 5 years.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
NO YOKE! imagine having to look at the thing your steering to make sure your not missing it

kraal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
I think steer by wire is the only way the yoke will work, software based variable steering ratio sounds amazing. I'm a tech guy, lets make as much of this truck software as we can...
Variable steering ratio is old tech!!!! Steer by wire, is also very old!!!

More than 90º with a yoke is not practical!
Doing a "precise" driving operation at low speed with a very fast moving wheels, it will be very easy to make marks on walls/gates/other cars/trees/...

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Variable steering ratio is old tech!!!! Steer by wire, is also very old!!!

Doing a "precise" driving operation at low speed with a very fast moving wheels, it will be very easy to make marks on walls/gates/other cars/trees/...
I'm having a hard time parsing this, what does it mean to make marks on walls/gates/other cars?

kraal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
I'm having a hard time parsing this, what does it mean to make marks on walls/gates/other cars?
Narrow streets (easy to find in Europe), enter/exit narrow garages, narrow parking spots, narrow trails!!!!!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I wish more people understood this. A yoke is only for expert and highly skilled drivers, amateurs cannot handle a yoke well and will bump into things and lose control of the vehicle because yokes require mad skillz that most people simple can't acquire.

Very dangerous in the hands of over-confident amateurs!