Elon Musk replies to a Tweet about Pricing on the Cybertruck

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models X, 3, and X, Roadster and Cybertruck res.
Country flag
I’d love to see some examples here.

Musk has slipped on deadlines **A LOT**.

But aside from that he tends to be a straight shooter in my experience.
c'mon, just google Musk and try to ignore all the negative events. I visit this forum to read about Cybertruck new news, not to rehash Musk's reputation for making huge mistakes.
All I can suggest is have a look at his history with the SEC, the fraud suit settled with a $20M fine for his $420 tweet (and $20M fine to Tesla, which included Musk losing his board position and being under parental supervision by a lawyer to approve any tweet that references Tesla financials.) The defamation suit. The "should I sell?" tweet that mislead his millions of followers to suppose he had any choice (he was selling to pay inevitable taxes) … the result cost $TSLA billions in valuation and it hasn't recovered … what Musk says is not encumbered by reality or facts.
Put generously, he's a functioning "on the spectrum" genius who probably doesn't mean to be evil and he is mostly harmless while doing considerable good.
Sponsored

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models X, 3, and X, Roadster and Cybertruck res.
Country flag
There is a saying, "prices are based on what people will pay".

An example would be, when you have a house for sale. Doesn't everybody look at what other houses are selling for, and set their price accordingly?
Tesla raises and lowers their prices based on demand, and how much they think people will pay. The waiting list keeps going up. It's common sense that the price would go up. Why would you leave the price lower? To make the waiting list even longer? That would go over real well, with the investors.
You're conflating supply-and-demand with gouging.
Ford and GM have both directed their dealers to not make "market" adjustments to the msrp of their future electric vehicles (gouging customers.)
Meanwhile Tesla raises the Model Y by 40% in 2021 in part by not offering the standard range – set the priority to taking the highest possible "take it or leave it price" … that's greed in a monopolistic antitrust sense. Tesla is perceived to have a "monopoly" on the EV and they're behaving like it. But that was 2021. By 2025, those overinflated prices will mean terrible resale value and the consumer will be shocked to see prices that went up so quickly in one year are a bubble that bursts in a later year.
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/teslas-market-adjustment-model-y-raises-starting-price-44-one-year

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
c'mon, just google Musk and try to ignore all the negative events. I visit this forum to read about Cybertruck new news, not to rehash Musk's reputation for making huge mistakes.
All I can suggest is have a look at his history with the SEC, the fraud suit settled with a $20M fine for his $420 tweet (and $20M fine to Tesla, which included Musk losing his board position and being under parental supervision by a lawyer to approve any tweet that references Tesla financials.) The defamation suit. The "should I sell?" tweet that mislead his millions of followers to suppose he had any choice (he was selling to pay inevitable taxes) … the result cost $TSLA billions in valuation and it hasn't recovered … what Musk says is not encumbered by reality or facts.
Put generously, he's a functioning "on the spectrum" genius who probably doesn't mean to be evil and he is mostly harmless while doing considerable good.
None of that is what I would call deceptive. A bit off-center. Yeah. Deceptive? No.

The Musk “Funding Secured” tweet is having it’s day in court right now. Pretty interesting stuff. You should read up on it.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
None of that is what I would call deceptive. A bit off-center. Yeah. Deceptive? No.

The Musk “Funding Secured” tweet is having it’s day in court right now. Pretty interesting stuff. You should read up on it.
You're conflating supply-and-demand with gouging.
Ford and GM have both directed their dealers to not make "market" adjustments to the msrp of their future electric vehicles (gouging customers.)
Meanwhile Tesla raises the Model Y by 40% in 2021 in part by not offering the standard range – set the priority to taking the highest possible "take it or leave it price" … that's greed in a monopolistic antitrust sense. Tesla is perceived to have a "monopoly" on the EV and they're behaving like it. But that was 2021. By 2025, those overinflated prices will mean terrible resale value and the consumer will be shocked to see prices that went up so quickly in one year are a bubble that bursts in a later year.
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/teslas-market-adjustment-model-y-raises-starting-price-44-one-year
There are a lot of things that Musk has said and done that I don't agree with. Heck we've all said and done things WE would like to take back. But you sound bitter, very bitter. :)

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Hard to predict prices with all this crap going on in the world.
Any meaningful production will not start before 2023 with an estimated 77,000 units.
So if your number is 300K or higher nothing much before 2025 as they ramp up production. If any are produced in 2022 it will be in the 100 a week range gradually increasing. This will never catch the demand.
Also, Tesla Van will start production in 2024 with an estimated production of 26,000 units.
You know all those public restroom toilet accessories you have under appreciated all these years and are mostly made by bobrick. We just got a 250% increase from them this week for their product. And you better believe those are mass produced. The CT is going to take years to get affordable as it is. Just on material alone. If the CT weighs 2000 lb more than a model Y. Just on raw material alone. They probably average $3/lb. Raw steel alone is around $1.50/lb. So lets saw that’s $6k more. Tesla seems to aim for 30% profit. So lets say their 4500 lb model y cost then $45000 to make right now at s selling price around 59k. That’s a 10x factor on the weight of material to fabricate the car. Using that same logic for the 6500 lb truck. You get to about $65k to produce and vehicle that would need to sell around $85k to get their margin once the production ramped up. That’s just another way to look at this. And really that added weight is more costly stuff. It’s not cheap steel. It’s largely stainless steel, motors and battery and yes some is aluminum.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You know all those public restroom toilet accessories you have under appreciated all these years and are mostly made by bobrick. We just got a 250% increase from them this week for their product. And you better believe those are mass produced. The CT is going to take years to get affordable as it is. Just on material alone. If the CT weighs 2000 lb more than a model Y. Just on raw material alone. They probably average $3/lb. Raw steel alone is around $1.50/lb. So lets saw that’s $6k more. Tesla seems to aim for 30% profit. So lets say their 4500 lb model y cost then $45000 to make right now at s selling price around 59k. That’s a 10x factor on the weight of material to fabricate the car. Using that same logic for the 6500 lb truck. You get to about $65k to produce and vehicle that would need to sell around $85k to get their margin once the production ramped up. That’s just another way to look at this. And really that added weight is more costly stuff. It’s not cheap steel. It’s largely stainless steel, motors and battery and yes some is aluminum.
Based on Tesla’s numbers, the Model Y costs about $36k to produce. The 4680 structural pack and front gigacasting is set to reduce that amount.

The Cybertruck was priced the same as the Model Y when it was launched.

Also, pricing and cost to manufacture vehicles is not based on vehicle weight. If it were, the Corvette would be cheaper than the Silverado.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
SHOCKING nobody who understands the phrase “short squeeze”, nickel prices have dropped to 1/3 what they peaked at and would continue to drop except they keep tripping circuit breakers on the market.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk replies to a Tweet about Pricing on the Cybertruck 1647975188210

https://markets.businessinsider.com...atility-limit-down-russia-ukraine-2022-3?op=1

Thats the way short squeezes work.

Prices will likely stabilize where they were at the end of February before this craziness hit.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
My WAG (..wild *** guess) is that if they ever do build the CyberTruck, they will build one model initially, and it will be a Quad/Tri-Motor and cost about $85,000+.

Of course they are now predicting that production won't start until October 2023, so most of us wouldn't get the CyberTruck until 2024 or 2025, so the price maybe be $99,000 by then.

The fantasy of ever getting a CyberTruck under $70,000 is squashed by the reality of inflation plus Tesla not being able to engineer down the price.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Based on Tesla’s numbers, the Model Y costs about $36k to produce. The 4680 structural pack and front gigacasting is set to reduce that amount.

The Cybertruck was priced the same as the Model Y when it was launched.

Also, pricing and cost to manufacture vehicles is not based on vehicle weight. If it were, the Corvette would be cheaper than the Silverado.
Tesla sells the Model S for $99,900

They sell a decently equipment Model Y for $70,000

If they ever do build the CyberTruck it will cost more than the Model Y, and hopefully less than the Model S

PS Tesla will want a profit margin on the Cybertruck equal to or greater than the Model Y.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla sells the Model S for $99,900

They sell a decently equipment Model Y for $70,000

If they ever do build the CyberTruck it will cost more than the Model Y, and hopefully less than the Model S

PS Tesla will want a profit margin on the Cybertruck equal to or greater than the Model Y.
As Ogre points out repeatedly, the Cybertruck was announced with a price range lower than the Model Y at time of launch.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Relative impact for cost/income relates to annual inflation / annual income growth.

For many, the truck will be relatively cheaper. Others, greater even without a price increase.

Knowing what we can and cannot influence, my efforts are in my income outpacing inflation. (And to continue being a miser)

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Of course they are now predicting that production won't start until October 2023, so most of us wouldn't get the CyberTruck until 2024 or 2025, so the price maybe be $99,000 by then.

The fantasy of ever getting a CyberTruck under $70,000 is squashed by the reality of inflation plus Tesla not being able to engineer down the price.
“They”? Presumably the same “they” who said the Cybertruck is an elaborate joke?

Nobody at Tesla has said October 2023.

Inflation would suggest a base Cybertruck at $45k, a mid range one at $57,500, and a top end one at $80,500. Nothing remotely suggests Tesla is unable to make that work aside from the same FUD which suggested they couldn’t hit the original prices.

Musk said it would be challenging.

Tesla LIKES challenging projects.

It cracks me up how people keep saying prices will go up due to inflation, then cite increases which are 4+ times what inflation would account for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Relative impact for cost/income relates to annual inflation / annual income growth.

For many, the truck will be relatively cheaper. Others, greater even without a price increase.

Knowing what we can and cannot influence, my efforts are in my income outpacing inflation. (And to continue being a miser)
My income is not keeping up at the moment.

My investments are my big hope.