Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As is usual, what's interesting is what's left out, not what's said.

In Europe, Tesla switched to CCS, is that coming in the US too?

If they are sticking with the Supercharger connector, are they selling a CCS -> Supercharger adaptor?

My guess is that by opening up to everyone Tesla can leverage some potential government subsidies from the new Biden bill.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think more likely some cost will be passed on to non Tesla owners in the form of costlier recharging.
The US government just approved $7 billion in funds for EV infrastructure expansion. Tesla is quite good at dealing with government incentives and working with government contracts.

I think that's where they are planning on recouping these costs.

Bkent100

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
It manager
Country flag
Not a fan, longer lines… hope he Frank’s out many more charging stations. Will not be happy if I buy a 100000 car and have to wait an hour to charge!!!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not a fan, longer lines… hope he Frank’s out many more charging stations. Will not be happy if I buy a 100000 car and have to wait an hour to charge!!!
This is my big fear too but...

Tesla is adding cars faster than any other car maker (all??). If Tesla is able to use government funding from the Biden infrastructure bill to build out the network, they should be able to build out the network even faster.

Or... more cynically, Tesla will do exactly the same thing they would have done previously, but make more money doing it because the government is subsidizing a big chunk of it.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Can you imagine how embarrassing it will be for other manufactures to have their vehicles and customers charging at a Supercharger? Imagine those customers pulling out their Tesla app and experiencing the seamless process to charge their vehicles first hand. Take a guess what their next car will be??? Brilliant move by Tesla.

OP
OP

Steelheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Corolla
Occupation
PA
Country flag
As is usual, what's interesting is what's left out, not what's said.

In Europe, Tesla switched to CCS, is that coming in the US too?

If they are sticking with the Supercharger connector, are they selling a CCS -> Supercharger adaptor?

My guess is that by opening up to everyone Tesla can leverage some potential government subsidies from the new Biden bill.
His follow on replies mention other countries, so you may be onto something.

I see it as a another source of revenue for Tesla that they will likely maximize. Could cause short term congestion, but likely will stabilize in the long run.

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag
There goes Tesla's moat.

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag
Can you imagine how embarrassing it will be for other manufactures to have their vehicles and customers charging at a Supercharger? Imagine those customers pulling out their Tesla app and experiencing the seamless process to charge their vehicles first hand. Take a guess what their next car will be??? Brilliant move by Tesla.
I'm not so sure about that. The two big advantages and reasons I buy Tesla over other manufacturers is:
1. Autopilot
2. Supercharger network

If competitors can get close on no. 1 - buying a more expensive Tesla makes a little less sense.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There goes Tesla's moat.
I'm not so sure about that. The two big advantages and reasons I buy Tesla over other manufacturers is:
1. Autopilot
2. Supercharger network
Well if you ignore range. Better integration. More reliable than other EVs.... more efficient (which means charging is faster).

For the Cybertruck: Value compared to other EV makers. Air Suspension.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If competitors can get close on no. 1 - buying a more expensive Tesla makes a little less sense.
Teslas aren't more expensive, though. They do more. No matter how you slice it, you get your bang for your buck with a Tesla.

-Crissa
Sponsored