Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Apple does not give away their OS or other services to third parties. (Mostly not anyhow)
Literally I can download the operating system without verifying serial numbers or lockout periods basically an unlimited number of times. I never have to worry about not being able to put the operating system on anything. Heck, my fifteen year old computer still can connect to the update server.

So yes, they give away their OS.

Long term I think Tesla will lose some of their prestige.
By having the smoothest, most hospitable charging system? How?

Just north of one of the biggest enclaves of Tesla owners on the planet, there is a giant area which is very difficult to access if you have a Tesla.
You do know that 2/3rds of your map doesn't have gas stations on it either, right? There's a reason it's called the 'Lost Coast'.

And your Nevada map is worse:
Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk: Superchargers open to all other EVs later this year. D9D82443-ECC3-46F1-A0AB-37534734FF55

Note the blue pins which are from one list of mines I visited last. This map is mostly inaccessible to gas-powered vehicles, too.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You do know that 2/3rds of your map doesn't have gas stations on it either, right? There's a reason it's called the 'Lost Coast'.
To be honest, I'm far more familiar with the inland areas.

North on 29 & 175 from Calistoga to Clear Lake I know there is gas in Middleton, and half a dozen spotted in the towns around the Clear Lake. Pretty sure there is gas in Cobb or at least was before half the town burned.

No superchargers on that corridor at all. Maybe 2 in all of Lake county?

I've driven Highway 50... there is gas every 100 miles or so, no Superchargers in the entire Highway 50 stretch through Nevada. Basically in Nevada you've got Vegas, Tonopa, Carson City, and the Highway 80 corridor.

I've been all up and down NV and while gas is uncommon, it's a hell of a lot more common than that.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
North on 29 & 175 from Calistoga to Clear Lake I know there is gas in Middleton, and half a dozen spotted in the towns around the Clear Lake. Pretty sure there is gas in Cobb or at least was before half the town burned.

No superchargers on that corridor at all. Maybe 2 in all of Lake county?
Ahh, that is a better example. But if you turn on Destination chargers, there are places to charge up.
Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk: Superchargers open to all other EVs later this year. 91A49BE9-CA28-42B0-B72B-B86A93F813AA

I've driven Highway 50... there is gas every 100 miles or so, no Superchargers in the entire Highway 50 stretch through Nevada. Basically in Nevada you've got Vegas, Tonopa, Carson City, and the Highway 80 corridor.
Nope. There is only gas in Ely. But there are RV camps that a Tesla can charge at, far more than gas stations.

Tesla has added sooo many chargers in the last couple years, too, since that video was filmed. Having more people using the charging sites only makes them more economically viable.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ahh, that is a better example. But if you turn on Destination chargers, there are places to charge up.
Are you really arguing that having Superchargers off the main corridors places wouldn't be nice?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you really arguing that having Superchargers off the main corridors places wouldn't be nice?
No? Because I said that's a better example? And then at the end of my post said that by supporting more EVs it would make more sites financially viable?

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
How has it changed? The rumor that other OEMs will be using the SC network has come round again. Nothing new there.
Rumor -> Someone says something/ comes up with a theory which may or may not be true.

Actual -> Musk says something and it is later confirmed.
Right. So if the promise comes to fruition this time that will represent a change. Until that time it is the same old same old.

I'll repeat for the third time that Tesla may choose to continue to operate at a loss for its current customers in order to achieve the marketing benefit that has granted and recover some of that loss by making a profit from the other OEMs it may come to service.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'll repeat for the third time that Tesla may choose to continue to operate at a loss for its current customers in order to achieve the marketing benefit that has granted and recover some of that loss by making a profit from the other OEMs it may come to service.
Assuming the funding is structured in a way which allows pricing based on vehicle make. I can see that happening.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Assuming the funding is structured in a way which allows pricing based on vehicle make. I can see that happening.
I think that's a given if this is to work. Clearly the vehicle to be charged has to authenticate itself to the terminal and obviously that involves passing the VIN. The 2nd digit of the VIN identifies the manufacturer. This would be used to direct the request for charging to a server dedicated to the brand indicated by that digit. That server could be operated by the associated OEM or by Telsa for that OEM. In either case that server checks the VIN to see if that particlar car is authorized to charge and if it is sends a message back to Tesla authorizing the charge and then Tesla sends a message out to the terminal enabling it to initiate charging. Tesla bills the OEM for the electricity at whatever rate Tesla and the OEM have negotiated and the OEM bills the user by whatever mechanism he wants at whatever rate he offers his customers. Thus if Ford wants to offer free charging to its customers on Memorial Day it can do so. If it wants to discount to some customers for whatever reason or even offer free charging to some it can do so. It still must pay Tesla but it does not have to charge the customer.

I really hope something like this comes to pass. I believe it is the only path to a universal charging network. Clearly Tesla can do it. It's not clear that anyone else can.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

I forgot about one more immensely practical reason why we want more EV adoption: More EVs means less gas cars. Less gas cars means less gasoline imported from countries that hate the US. Less gas bought from them means we have less incentive to get involved in those areas' as the world-wide police force. Remember we got in Gulf War I because we needed to "ensure the free low of oil at market prices." -- George H.W. Bush. Gulf War II wasn't shorted as we needed to protect those oil fields once we ousted Saddam.

As a citizen of the US and a military pilot I would guess you want less of our national treasury spent fighting endless wars for oil. You probably don't want to be on continuous deployments any more. Don't want your sons or daughters fighting millennium-old disputes with people who don't want us there anyway. We've wasted enough of our youths' blood, fortune and safety.

Fewer oil imports means we enhance our national security.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I forgot about one more immensely practical reason why we want more EV adoption: More EVs means less gas cars. Less gas cars means less gasoline imported from countries that hate the US. Less gas bought from them means we have less incentive to get involved in those areas' as the world-wide police force. Remember we got in Gulf War I because we needed to "ensure the free low of oil at market prices." -- George H.W. Bush. Gulf War II wasn't shorted as we needed to protect those oil fields once we ousted Saddam.

As a citizen of the US and a military pilot I would guess you want less of our national treasury spent fighting endless wars for oil. You probably don't want to be on continuous deployments any more. Don't want your sons or daughters fighting millennium-old disputes with people who don't want us there anyway. We've wasted enough of our youths' blood, fortune and safety.

Fewer oil imports means we enhance our national security.
Thank you for your service ? and your common sense?.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I agree. More EV’s means a better tomorrow!

I cannot wait for my tri motor. I hope I get mine fast. It took me 6 days, but I jumped?

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
This year Tesla is on track to manufacture close to one million vehicles, a significant amount to be sold in the states.

I‘m not sure of the total non Tesla EVs sold in the US, but pretty sure Tesla dwarfs that number now.

I think Tesla‘s supercharger network will be expanded to keep up and Tesla knows what they’re doing.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
1626816208312.png

Thoughts?
Yes, I have a thought. Look at the title of the thread" "...open to all other EVs..." and compare to what Musk said "... open to other EV's...". The problem is that OP has hugely expanded the meaning of Musk's words and that many readers here accept that "all" is what he meant. If the "other EV's" Musk referred to were only the Cybertruck and Semi this would not be in conflict with what he said. One other OEM would not conflict with what he said either.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
On the subject of sharing Tesla SC in Western Australia I have absolutely no problem with that.
We only have one to share anyway. :cool:

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk: Superchargers open to all other EVs later this year. Tesla SC WA

But also note there are barely any places outside the metro grid area that can provide enough power for even just one SC. So we need new generation just to charge EV's on their way through.

Tesla also just upped the charge rate across the country to $0.52c/kWh making it more expensive than fuel now in a same size car. That plus some EV km tax in Victoria and we're all set to go! Not.
Sponsored