JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
There's always a balancing act to be made by enacting our choices responsibly. That means you can choose between dedicationg yourself to your career and working towards something you believe in, or to start a family. But doing both is very hard. Not all people need to marry, have kids, or conversely be forever alone. Neither do those life choices have to be permanent and forever. Life is change. But likewise people can choose to put the mission first.

It's a bit like professional sports, like F1 where teams like hiring single young drivers because they are just 1 second faster per lap than the married ones. That 1 second a lap is often what wins the race.
Sponsored

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I didn't say there is not depth perception beyond several feet, I said it's not due to binocular displacement. Do you have a citation for this effect beyond several feet? What do you think is the distance limit for effective binocular depth perception?
While I've read a few articles I think it's also based on how healthy and optimal each individual's sight happens to be. Here is an excerpt from a Wikipedia article, although there are many others:

Convergence
Main article: Convergence (eye)
This is a binocular oculomotor cue for distance and depth perception. Because of stereopsis, the two eyeballs focus on the same object; in doing so they converge. The convergence will stretch the extraocular muscles – the receptors for this are muscle spindles. As happens with the monocular accommodation cue, kinesthetic sensations from these extraocular muscles also help in distance and depth perception. The angle of convergence is smaller when the eye is fixating on objects which are far away. Convergence is effective for distances less than 10 meters.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

But I'll agree that binocular depth perception is less for discerning objects closer to the max distance, or ineffective at greater distances.

Because the vehicles approaching blind spots from the rear in adjacent lanes, are often seen in side mirrors, I was referring to those instances where approaching vehicles could be in binocular depth perception range just before a possible collision.

But for greater distances I do agree with you.

I also have reservations about the screen refresh rates and response times but that is another discussion.

But to be fair to cameras - Tesla has done an outstanding job of displaying the blind spot surroundings on the screen with vehicles approaching and they also implemented their auto blind spot camera views as a an option when turn signaling. This aides the driver significantly in addition to their side mirror views, even though the eyes focal distance has to revert from near to far or inside to outside. But if a driver is already looking at the screen for other reasons anyway (to see the map, the speed, the remaining battery charge, or to play music), then having these surroundings displayed on the screen is very beneficial.

But come to think of it, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that many of today's young people are developing premature very near-sighted visual degeneration, from simply looking at close-up screens and their phones way too much all day long for years on end. Continually looking at things close up, one no longer has to exercise their binocular depth perception acuity, because close up depth perception is totally easier. So considering that I can see why some people might not think binocular depth perception is even a thing - because they've lost much of it and no longer have it themselves.

You made some really good points, and forced me to dig deeper than I usually do. I like that.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I worked for huge multinational companies that treat the employees and each other like member of a family and another that see employees as commodities in the labor market of skills and talents.

And concluded why Denmark, Norway... and other Nordic countries have the happiest citizens -- have basically eliminated poverty and have very comfortable lives for their seniors and retirees.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Unfortunately, Our culture is full of this myth that people are lazy because they want a work/life balance, or are whiny crybabies because they want higher pay instead of salaries that are drastically less than the equivalent 40 years ago. Its simply a refusal to acknowledge and accept that there is a clear shift in attitudes towards sacrificing your life and well being for your jobs when most industries have fought against paying people what they are worth today, instead of 40 years ago.

Any reasonable person couldn't blame the cultural attitudes toward work for shifting in such a way. It also makes sense that those who fight against this cultural shift are those who are near the ends of their professional lives and have been the few to see actual wage increases in their professional lives over the same amount of time. They don't have the real world experiences that anyone who came into the professional world since the early 90s has lived through, hence.. can't make the connection.
This reminds me of some wise words I once heard:

An employer is fulfilling his own dreams and goals. An employee is fulfilling the goals of his employer, because he hasn't got his own dreams or goals that are worth employing others to achieve.

You can't be a leader if you have to follow, and you can't lead if you don't know where you want to go yourself.

There's a time to follow, and a time to lead. (Normally in that order)

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag

An employer is fulfilling his own dreams and goals. An employee is fulfilling the goals of his employer, because he hasn't got his own dreams or goals that are worth employing others to achieve.

You can't be a leader if you have to follow, and you can't lead if you don't know where you want to go yourself.

This assumes people don't lead because they don't know where they want to go. I'm willing to bet there are more than a few who know "where they want to go" but just can't get there for any of the countless other reasons in the gray area of the topic.

This reminds me of the sage advice given to those who want to start their own businesses. You should have 6-8 months or more of emergency savings to cover operating expenses, and plan on an average of 2-3 years before that business is profitable. This does not count living expenses for that amount of time.

Or you could just take out a big loan to buy a fleet of CTs to use as a robo fleet or flip for cash and be set for life. 😂 Nothing risky about that option ;)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
This assumes people don't lead because they don't know where they want to go. I'm willing to bet there are more than a few who know "where they want to go" but just can't get there for any of the countless other reasons in the gray area of the topic.

This reminds me of the sage advice given to those who want to start their own businesses. You should have 6-8 months or more of emergency savings to cover operating expenses, and plan on an average of 2-3 years before that business is profitable. This does not count living expenses for that amount of time. ;)
I didn't say leading was easy, that's why most follow. But we should encourage employees to lead, and even to leave so that they can lead better themselves.

The point is that all things that are of value in your life, also require a substantial investment of your only currency in life; time. You can only spend it once, on one thing at a time.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I didn't say leading was easy, that's why most follow. But we should encourage employees to lead, and even to leave so that they can lead better themselves.

The point is that all things that are of value in your life, also require a substantial investment of your only currency in life; time. You can only spend it once, on one thing at a time.
I couldn't agree with you more!

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag

This reminds me of the sage advice given to those who want to start their own businesses. You should have 6-8 months or more of emergency savings to cover operating expenses, and plan on an average of 2-3 years before that business is profitable. This does not count living expenses for that amount of time.

Or you could just take out a big loan to buy a fleet of CTs to use as a robo fleet or flip for cash and be set for life. 😂 Nothing risky about that option ;)
[/QUO
It's not that simple as @JBee stated.

Tried my hands on both.

Now a lot wiser. Be the one who profit for the innovations of the entrepreneurs. Or the hard work of others willing to do so.

But the first issue to hurdle is to have the critical mass of wealth to be doing it profitably. My only regret is why did I not do it earlier.:p

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Tried my hands on both.

Now a lot wiser. Be the one who profits for the innovations of the entrepreneurs. Or the hard work of others.

But the first issue to hurdle is to have the critical mass of wealth to be doing it profitably. My only regret is why did I not do it earlier.:p
As long as I can afford a cybertruck when they finally come out, I'll have no regrets!

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
As long as I can afford a cybertruck when they finally come out, I'll have no regrets!
And sweetest when the money for buying the Cybertruck is a profit you got from investing in Tesla stocks during it's crazy heyday (pre Elon's Twitter foolhard moves and social/political commentaries).:ROFLMAO:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
And sweetest when the money for buying the Cybertruck is a profit you got from investing in Tesla stocks during it's crazy heyday (pre Elon's Twitter foolhard moves and social/political commentaries).:ROFLMAO:
Tesla and TSLA are not done having "crazy heyday's". All companies that continue to outperform over multi-year periods have crazy good stock returns.

Bet against Elon Musk at your own risk.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Tesla and TSLA are not done having "crazy heyday's". All companies that continue to outperform over multi-year periods have crazy good stock returns.

Bet against Elon Musk at your own risk.
Maybe, and for the sake of my bets still out there that needs to double to be back to Tesla's crazy heyday. :cry:

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
sail pillars or no sail pillars?
upper Laser blade lights or no upper blade lights?
frunk or no frunk?
Maybe on your face. My face has a huge nose between my eyes... 😛 🤣

The eyes focus out to a few meters, this alone contributes to depth perception, even with one eye. But the point is, your eyes have to refocus on the screen and then to the road, which takes half a second, where you don't see properly, whereas on a mirror they don't. That's why HUD is better than screen. (Yes I said it)

Your screen analogy is not quite right, because if you put on 3D glasses with a compatible TV, only then do you have stereoscopic depth perception, by having more than one point of view.

That's how I see it anyway...

Tesla 3d glasses come with purchase.
settled😉😂

StarmanM3

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3 LR AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A whole bunch of pre-production units - I thought this was interesting. He said this at the Engineering HQ talk:

Just more unsubstantiated hype.
maybe they get 10,000 made by the end of the year.
then 150,000 in 2024.
how many will be made before the build gets sloppy?
disclaimer: I ordered my Tri Motor 10 minutes into the reveal, Nov. 2019.
tired of the BS

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It's not that simple as @JBee stated.

Tried my hands on both.

Now a lot wiser. Be the one who profit for the innovations of the entrepreneurs. Or the hard work of others willing to do so.

The principle is simple, but the actions required to navigate them, find your dream and your purpose, and execute them are hard.

I always tell my kids that it is an exercise in attitude control (not altitude) in that no matter what happens, you need to have the right angle of attack to reach those goals, and most importantly persevere.

I agree that the main reason it is hard to follow your ambitions is money; but this is because money makes choices for us all, based on profit and the increase of itself, rather than the reality of the diminishing asset of time, that is the only true currency with actual value.

One of my pet peeves is that finance market is not based on merit or purpose, and 99% only on returns. But what are returns for, if they have no purpose? This is where EMs companies differ, in that money is not the reward one seeks, for financial freedom to do what you actually want too, rather money is only a means to an end, and only one tool to allocate resources to achieve that dream.

In regards to the purchase of Twitter one must first read the original intention of creating x.com and its "borderless" payment system, to see just how disruptive it will be to the status quo, and the operation of financial markets.

Just because we don't know what plans EM has, doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan. Can't wait to see some more on the 1st March.
Sponsored