Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Yes, that rear sheet metal corner point doesn't look well secured for workmanship fit and finish at all, but of course it's a prototype. But I noticed also, that the rear Attachment Point is also missing in this prototype, even though it is clearly in the Cybertruck media gallery renderings as shown here:

1677307706615.png

I do hope the production units do end up looking more like the gallery photos fit and finish wise, (but with the newer tail light design of course) or Wendover Productions will be making another hit piece video as soon as units start rolling off the manufacturing line.

- ÆCIII
I noticed that too. In the original images they showed 3 attachment points for roof racks. The original prototype at The Petersen doesn't have them. Like you said, this was the first prototype, and made with way thinner material than 3mm stainless. I saw something on the latest prototype that looked like attachment points. In the original images they were in what I would think, perfect locations. In that back point of your image, and at the pillars for vertical strength. So, I'm with you. It would be a major mistake for Tesla to not include them on the Cybertruck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
What is this crease and panel gap for? The rear sail storage opening? It doesn't need that for the doors, as the windows fit in underneath the roof support. I think we might get full fender side opening storage.

1677283991520.png
Yeah, not going to happen but something like this would be amazing!

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) Screenshot 2023-02-24 11.17.13 PM

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yeah, not going to happen but something like this would be amazing!

Screenshot 2023-02-24 11.17.13 PM.png
It really will be amazing. Ye of little faith. 🤣

You do realise this is a fan site (as in fanatic?) 😛

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Expectation:
what my garage will look like when I park my CT in it
1677286441383.png

Reality:
1677286336528.png

(Not really my garage, just rando foto from web)
What the outside of that garage will look like after the Cybertruck. (I know it’s not yours… but that truck crammed in there made me think of this)

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) 1677310249934

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
What is this crease and panel gap for? The rear sail storage opening? It doesn't need that for the doors, as the windows fit in underneath the roof support. I think we might get full fender side opening storage.

1677283991520.png
I hope you're right. But I think it's likely just a removable piece that is made for easy replacement. That way if you get hit there you can pop it off and slap another piece of metal on

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
As per usual, tough to get an idea with the foreground and how close/ far people are.
But there IS a guy next to the tail gate, and the truck is seemingly SHOULDER height.
Shoulder height is what I’d expect for that tailgate at anything other than a squat.

That’s about where any tailgate is these days, much less with any lift on, and much less without CT’s upsweapt rear end.

just two rando pics from the web of guys standing next to a stock superduty

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) 0FB19F50-F1B7-47F5-A1F8-209FF5391428
Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) 660FB2F8-9553-4EB8-9003-CB1DBBA4D698

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I hope you're right. But I think it's likely just a removable piece that is made for easy replacement. That way if you get hit there you can pop it off and slap another piece of metal on
Since 2019 I have said the structural wall is the bed internal wall, not the external rear quarter panels. This was because of the opening sail panels shown on the reveal renders, and because it makes much more structural engineering sense to use those bed walls for carrying the bed load and transfering into the suspension and then the wheels. Rather than transferring all the load to the partially missing outside rear quarter panel skin, and then back inside to the suspension.

If the casting photos we saw are legit then they support that configuration as well, and offer up the full panel opening quarter panel solution too. Worst case, and they don't make it opening and its not structural, but there's still a decent amount of useable volume in there, I might consider modding it to have the storage anyway.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Yep, don't want to spoil the party but the front quarter panel is much the same and I think we can all agree that one isn't going to open up.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
similarly, I’m 6’2 and while my stock F150 tailgate comes up to “only” 2” above my nipples, any stock superduty tailgate is up to at least my shoulders.

so I’m not at all surprised if the CT in its normal ride height is also at upper-chest height, and when raised at shoulder height, even on a 6’2” guy. That would also be true of a standard 1/2 ton truck on air suspension.

Deleted member 5322

Why is it every photo thread has a comment about the wheels? Who cares about wheels? They're literally the easiest external thing to change. Who looks at wheels?

-Crissa
There is nothing else to look at :) everything else is or squared or triangular, but wheels..... They are round! They are silver, they are black.... Have different tires....
:)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Who cares about wheels? They're literally the easiest external thing to change. Who looks at wheels?

-Crissa
:oops:

Pretty much everyone who cares about trucks cares about wheels, C!

And while changing wheels may be easy, it ain’t always cheap!

(Separately and this time with an ounce of seriousness, the BEV truck learning curve includes some lessons around seemingly minor tire/wheelset changes having major effects on range - would be nice if the stock offering was fine enough to stay put.)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wheels, wiper, mirrors, tailgate, and lights… that’s about all that’s really changed a bunch since launch. So thats what gets discussed the most.

If they actually showed a picture with the Frunking F***k open, we’d have about 100 pages talking about that. If they showed the sail pillar storage open, we’d spend about 3 days laughing at the haters then 20 pages talking about why they should open some other day.

Just seeing the rear glass brings up discussions about the possibility of a midgate.

The changes we see is what gets talked about. We see wheels every time and they’ve had something like 5 different wheel/ tire/ hubcap combos.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
How no inside shots. Windows look down. Gosh

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) IMG_8714
Sponsored