Engineering Explained: F-150 better than Cybertruck for towing duty (over distance)

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
If we can isolate stable at an affordable cost Graphene, lithium ion battery will die overnight. If scientist master nanotechnology that allow them to produce a stable and usable version of graphene. Then we can get better batteries or graphene supercapacitors. What do you think??
The race is not over and whoever is going to come up with this kind of breakthrough (game changer) will win the battle.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Why would lithium be dropped? Graphene, especially augmented with silicon, supposedly makes a super anode for lithium ion. I wouldn't be too surprised to hear about graphene/silicon on Battery Day.

Super capacitors really don't have an application in automotive as their energy density is much, much lower than batteries.

Last edited:

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I agree graphene/lithium or other combination. keep in mind that Graphene is a lot lighter that makes up for lower energy density.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Musk also noted that the vehicle will feature calculators for payload and towing. He also explained that the car would feature "real-time changes to max acceleration, braking, cornering, speed on gradient & range, latter factoring in route elevation changes & cargo or tow mass & drag impact."

My load cell!!

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
The more fuel you burn (ie towing and/or if you drive a lot) .. the more money you save using an EV. Simple.
Agreed, the point is definitely being missed here. The EV will be more efficient hands down. No matter what vehicle your using ICE or EV the mass pulled is the same, rolling resistance the same as well. The efficiency of an EV system over ICE is ridiculously high (ie not a couple percent). Read somewhere that an ice engine is something like %30 percent efficient (with the bulk going to heat generation) while an EV can be as high as 90% effcient. The disadvantage with EV is that you will have to stop longer to fill up so that time has to be factored in to your trip, but after 4 hours driving I'd want to stop for a meal break and to stretch my legs. In summary, energy cost EV wins hands down. Time wise your going to do better with ICE at the moment. By the time the CT gets here all that could change though, battery day is coming.
Note: Our model three charge at 400km/hr last time we used a supercharger.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It's really very simple. It takes the same number of joules to move the same trailer from point A to point B whether you do it with an ICE vehicle or BEV. A dollars worth of electricity will give you from 0.5 to say 30 times the number of joules available from a dollar's worth of petrol or diesel. Your fuel costs can be much lower with the BEV but they can be only a little lower or even a bit higher (if, for example, you have to use the EA network). But the ICE tractor fuel tank holds many more usable joules than the BEV so you have to refuel more often.

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I am really looking forward to Tesla battery day in May. I want to hear about updates, not rumors, on the million mile battery packs, motors and battery technology.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I am really looking forward to Tesla battery day in May. I want to hear about updates, not rumors, on the million mile battery packs, motors and battery technology.
I know. I was really disappointed that battery day had to be delayed because of a global pandemic. It is probably the best excuse ever for not having a large gathering of people to talk about batteries, but I am with you on wanting to hear about the new battery technology and will the cybertruck be the first vehicle to get the million mile batteries.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I still think better designed trailers would be better, both for the CyberTruck and ICE trucks. Most of the trailers on the road seemed to be purposefully designed to be the worst aerodynamically when towed.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I still think better designed trailers would be better, both for the CyberTruck and ICE trucks. Most of the trailers on the road seemed to be purposefully designed to be the worst aerodynamically when towed.
Does anyone know about a trailer that is aerodynamic and efficient with interior space utilization?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Besides Teardrop camper trailers?

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
The absolute amount of energy contained in gasoline seems irrelevant if the gas engine cannot use it..

Consider the following scenario. John makes twice as much money as Sam, but Sam is twice as frugal as John so that the amount of time they 'last' is exactly the same. Now, if they have a situation that requires the same amount of extra expense in a given month. Unless the spending habit is changed, it seems that both will last exactly the same amount.

(I would venture to guess with smarter programming (which seems to be the strength of Tesla), the spending habit of Tesla under emergency may even be better.)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag