HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I thought the consensus was the front could be done on a 6000t press?
There was no consensus on how big of a gigapress would be required for the Cybertruck front casting. IMO, it would be foolish to even have a strong opinion on that without knowing how big the front casting would be.

The ton-rating of the gigapress required to make any particular casting is primarily a function of the cross-sectional area of the casting, not the strength required or load that will be applied to the casting.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
The shear size of the wheel well cavity is incredible. I bet it has an echo. I think one of my first mods is going to be to put a operable church bell donger on one of the wheel wells so I can make a daunting "DONG" every time i pick up my kids from school. Just a thought. It probably wouldn't sound as cool as i am imagining it.
more cowbell !!!!!!!

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
no one is talking about fear......my only comment was about issues centering around not being able to see the "real" production model and it final design......since we are told the "design" is completed and tooling is in place, why cant we see it.....thats all I was saying.....the tooling changes at this point would lead to some massive delays I believe.....thats all I am saying
why would you want legacy ICE to know what you're coming out with ??

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Some people will always try to detract and confuse the nomenclature but only because one of two things:

1) They don't understand that exoskeletons can be comprised of composite layers and have bulkheads

2) They want to make Elon out as liar/exaggerator and generally detract from his accomplishments.

Anything else is simply splitting hairs that don't need to be split because "exoskeleton" is a descriptor borrowed from biology and has no hard definition when it comes to manufactured items. Lots of things can be described with the term "exoskeleton".
take it up with eg Sandy Monro, who seems to understand 1) just fine, has shown no interest in 2), and otherwise pretty clearly disagrees with all of this

Elon described what he meant at unveil. Professionals in auto (and aero) engineering interpreted him accordingly. Those interpretations don't yet appear to square with unofficial info revealed recently.

Saying those people possibly misinterpreted Elon is one thing.

Saying that anyone who misinterpreted Elon has no idea what they're talking about, or have only bad intentions, is ...

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
take it up with eg Sandy Monro, who seems to understand 1) just fine, has shown no interest in 2), and otherwise pretty clearly disagrees with all of this

Elon described what he meant at unveil. Professionals in auto (and aero) engineering interpreted him accordingly. Those interpretations don't yet appear to square with unofficial info revealed recently.

Saying those people possibly misinterpreted Elon is one thing.

Saying that anyone who misinterpreted Elon has no idea what they're talking about, or have only bad intentions, is ...
I am fine with exoskeleton if 50% of the load is transferred through the skin/glass/door. I don't think the ss "exoskeleton" is as efficient as Elon thought it would be 3 years ago, but kudos for advanced thinking. It is still an improvement. No cab and box separation.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Engineering isn't Design. And Design isn't Engineering. And Production isn't either of those.

Engineering is the broad strokes and math. Design is the halo around that. Production is what makes it real.

Changing little things doesn't always change big things.

-Crissa
That's not really true. Engineers produce designs. I mean sure, for cars there is usually a "design" team that would come up with the appearance of a vehicle and designers like Franz are often not engineers, but engineers would work on the design, and engineering diagrams would be called designs. The Franz part of design for the CT was likely mostly done early - it hasn't changed much - but when Elon later said the design was locked in, that was likely referring to the engineering work to make it all happen.

Dr_Grey_Bush

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
"Video by Geff Robbert's and noticed something inside South West platform."

304 SS ?

Seems all too coincidental.

1684115005835.png
You have just identified the air duct’s for the 3rd floor section 04.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You have just identified the air duct’s for the 3rd floor section 04.
Close, it's all ductwork.

I'm a retired sheet metal worker, and all those duct fittings/pieces are saran wrapped, so the inside of the duct stays clean. The numbers are written large with a felt pen, so that the installers can find the exact piece of duct they need, without having to measure it. On the working drawings, each piece of duct is numbered. That stack, with them all having the #304 on them, are all matching/standard straight pieces of duct, that will be used in a straight section. They try to make it as simple as possible to find the correct pieces of duct, and install it exactly as the drawings show. All the different trades have their own working drawings, and they have been coordinated so that no two trades are trying to put their stuff in the same space.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I thought the consensus was the front could be done on a 6000t press? We should be excited when we see the rear. The rear is looking complicated. I am thinking it might be a left and right. Maybe the 9000 t might be used for the next model one piece?
It might be difficult to know which is which from an aerial view at first. The use of the different presses is dictated by the surface area of the casting. Which could easily go up without much visible difference until we can put them side by side at the same scale.

-Crissa

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I seem to recall videos of a large collection of "failed" castings for the MY outside of Gigas Texas and Berlin as they were dialing in the Giga-press for those installations.

I had always presumed that we would see that same collection of failures for the CT when the 9000t GP was being dialed in... and I haven't seen evidence of that, yet. Perhaps they've got things calibrated more quickly for the CT.

If the "C" marked on those castings does mean "cracked"(bad) (as previously noted here) then this may be the start of the collection of failed CT castings.
Perhaps the castings we saw the other day were these.
Sponsored