Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Is there a silver lining for those that wont see their truck produced for 3-4 years after delivery actually starts (so 2027-2028)?
Battery Technology comes top of mind. I imagine battery density improvements between now and 2027 will be 2x it is today. It means your 2027 Cybertruck will be lighter, go further, charge faster, last longer.

This is coming from someone who is like #5000 in line :D

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Well we know 100 cubic feet total secure storage.

The frunk might not be very big though. Tesla’s front end isn’t bloated like on the Ford so there is a lot less room for junk.
But, the bed trunk too!

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
Just for comparison. My Model Y was delivered 20 months ago. During that time they updated the suspension completely, built a version with a structural pack, replaced the computer, replaced the front end with a unified component, added a 4680 version (faster charging if nothing else)… soon they will have hardware 4 and likely another new computer to support that. FSD has gone from being a giant nothing burger to an interesting driving companion (though IMO still not worth the money at this point).

That’s less than 2 years.

Any Tesla you buy is going to be better than the Tesla which shipped a year prior. A 4 year difference will be significant.
Another often overlooked feature of Tesla: although Tesla has added features to its cars since you took delivery, I think it's fair to say that your car has improved during those 20 months with over the air software updates.

I took delivery of my Model 3 six months ago and my car is better than when I took delivery. As well as some recalls were addressed through OTA updates. I also expect that I will get updates that will make my headlights much better, etc.

So as we discuss what improvements might be made to the Cybertruck over time, how about we include what new software features may be improved in this timeframe.

The obvious first one is that FSD should be improved and maybe even our trucks will drive us to our destination without us having to be attentive.​
How about the addition of Apple Car Play and Android Auto.​

What else do you think will be improved in the next few years software wise?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another often overlooked feature of Tesla: although Tesla has added features to its cars since you took delivery, I think it's fair to say that your car has improved during those 20 months with over the air software updates.

I took delivery of my Model 3 six months ago and my car is better than when I took delivery. As well as some recalls were addressed through OTA updates. I also expect that I will get updates that will make my headlights much better, etc.

So as we discuss what improvements might be made to the Cybertruck over time, how about we include what new software features may be improved in this timeframe.

The obvious first one is that FSD should be improved and maybe even our trucks will drive us to our destination without us having to be attentive.​
How about the addition of Apple Car Play and Android Auto.​

What else do you think will be improved in the next few years software wise?
Probable the biggest improvement to the car since I bought it. Blind spot camera view on the console. Such a great, useful feature. The new power use screens are nice too. AutoPilot has gotten noticeably better as well, in little chunks.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
Just for comparison. My Model Y was delivered 20 months ago. During that time they updated the suspension completely, built a version with a structural pack, replaced the computer, replaced the front end with a unified component, added a 4680 version (faster charging if nothing else)… soon they will have hardware 4 and likely another new computer to support that. FSD has gone from being a giant nothing burger to an interesting driving companion (though IMO still not worth the money at this point).

That’s less than 2 years.

Any Tesla you buy is going to be better than the Tesla which shipped a year prior. A 4 year difference will be significant.
I have one of the early model 3's (VIN 28 k) that I received in June of 2018 and I can't belive the number of software updates it has had and how completely different it is now. The newer models are obviously better from a hardware standpoint as they have a newer computer, AWD and fewer components, however I still have forward facing radar and sensors.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have one of the early model 3's (VIN 28 k) that I received in June of 2018 and I can't belive the number of software updates it has had and how completely different it is now. The newer models are obviously better from a hardware standpoint as they have a newer computer, AWD and fewer components, however I still have forward facing radar and sensors.
If you have the older hardware still, I don’t think you can get the final version of FSD. And they keep you on the pre-vision version of Autopilot. If you don’t care about FSD, probably doesn’t matter.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
Yeah I don't care about FSD as I plan on trading in my model 3 on a CT - hopefully next year as I am 34 k on the corrected spreadsheet (September 2023). It is also my understanding that if I opted for FSD, they will update the computer for no extra charge.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you have the older hardware still, I don’t think you can get the final version of FSD. And they keep you on the pre-vision version of Autopilot. If you don’t care about FSD, probably doesn’t matter.
There is an upgrade path. For people who bought the FSD option, you have to arrange it and it'll be free. For people who want it later, you have to buy the upgrade.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When they sold FSD to people, they took on the obligation to provide them FSD.

If they can’t make it happen with current hardware, they have to upgrade them. Tesla has been quietly upgrading cars up to 10 years old (maybe older) with modern FSD hardware in order to meet this obligation.

One of the things I love about Tesla’s design is they make their cars modular enough to be upgraded this way.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Since their has been very little Cybertruck news I haven't checked in lately.

I think the Cybertruck will see a ten year run before any significant revisions are made. The truck will be iconic and may not see any exterior tweaks.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Since their has been very little Cybertruck news I haven't checked in lately.

I think the Cybertruck will see a ten year run before any significant revisions are made. The truck will be iconic and may not see any exterior tweaks.
On one hand, the next big unforeseen change is just around the corner, but Elon apparently has been thinking about the CT for years. He has allocated a lot of genius cycles.

Plus, it's been 3 years since its announcement, and a good year since Engineering was tied up.

I reckon it's gone through many cycles of improvement. It must be bursting with modifications already.
Enough to keep engineering happy for a few years.
Sponsored