Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
On one hand, the next big unforeseen change is just around the corner, but Elon apparently has been thinking about the CT for years. He has allocated a lot of genius cycles.

Plus, it's been 3 years since its announcement, and a good year since Engineering was tied up.

I reckon it's gone through many cycles of improvement. It must be bursting with modifications already.
Enough to keep engineering happy for a few years.
Itā€™s pretty clear how old Musk was when he thought of the Cybertruckā€¦

Tesla Cybertruck First gen cybertruck vs Second gen 1669085101293

Iā€™m sure he was quite disappointed to find out tracks were not street legal.
Sponsored

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree which is kind of why I phrased it that way. I do think FSD is going to be incredibly interesting eventually, but it may always be too expensive for non-RoboTaxi users. People who need FSD will pay for it. People who donā€™t need it will get EAP or just stick with Autopilot.
Since having paid for FSD on our 2018 Model 3, I decided to wait on it when purchasing our 2023 Model Y. I rarely used the additional features FSD added to regular AP. Over 4.5 years of ownership, summoned maybe 7 times, auto parked 2 times, auto interchanged 6-7 times, tried it on city streets 4-5 times, never really liked the way it changes lanes on it's own when in navigation so usually did that myself anyway. Our grandson that lives with us bought the M3 so he keeps me updated and if it reaches a point where I find I want to see for myself, I will subscribe for a month and only then would I consider paying the current price being asked by Tesla. AP does what I need it to do and we love our new Model Y.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Since having paid for FSD on our 2018 Model 3, I decided to wait on it when purchasing our 2023 Model Y. I rarely used the additional features FSD added to regular AP. Over 4.5 years of ownership, summoned maybe 7 times, auto parked 2 times, auto interchanged 6-7 times, tried it on city streets 4-5 times, never really liked the way it changes lanes on it's own when in navigation so usually did that myself anyway. Our grandson that lives with us bought the M3 so he keeps me updated and if it reaches a point where I find I want to see for myself, I will subscribe for a month and only then would I consider paying the current price being asked by Tesla. AP does what I need it to do and we love our new Model Y.
I really like 3 ideas behind FSD.

#1 On long trips navigating weird interchanges. Often itā€™s difficult figuring out what the hell my mapping app needs me to be when there are complex interchanges and itā€™ll tell me way too late where to be.

#2 Likewise on long trips, it would be nice to not have to deal with turning AP on/ off every time I pass someone.

#3 Getting somewhere when Iā€™m incapable of driving myself. Could be due to sleepiness, drinking, age, medical emergency, etc etcā€¦ doesnā€™t matter. But its if/ when Iā€™m incapable or unsafe behind the wheel.

EAP takes care of the first 2. The third is simply not possible yet and may be ā€œComing Soonā€ for a long time yet. When they nail #3, Iā€™ll probably get FSDā€¦ but they will probably double the price when that happens.

Wish Iā€™d locked in the $7k pricing on my first Cybertruck because I think current state is worth that.

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I really like 3 ideas behind FSD.

#1 On long trips navigating weird interchanges. Often itā€™s difficult figuring out what the hell my mapping app needs me to be when there are complex interchanges and itā€™ll tell me way too late where to be.

#2 Likewise on long trips, it would be nice to not have to deal with turning AP on/ off every time I pass someone.

#3 Getting somewhere when Iā€™m incapable of driving myself. Could be due to sleepiness, drinking, age, medical emergency, etc etcā€¦ doesnā€™t matter. But its if/ when Iā€™m incapable or unsafe behind the wheel.

EAP takes care of the first 2. The third is simply not possible yet and may be ā€œComing Soonā€ for a long time yet. When they nail #3, Iā€™ll probably get FSDā€¦ but they will probably double the price when that happens.

Wish Iā€™d locked in the $7k pricing on my first Cybertruck because I think current state is worth that.
I did put in my reservation when I did a CT reservation early on but the wait to see if I'll even keep that reservation is taking so long that is why I included the tow package on the MY for the occasional dump rum or furniture move. Don't really need a truck as a daily driver but was going to wait before deciding on which to buy. The wait was just to much to handle so bought the MY. I'm a firm supporter of the development of FSD for all the reasons you mention and probably will buy it when it reaches level 4-5 autonomy even with the price increase. I've paid for it once and just feel the price and level it's at doesn't work for me currently. Not saying it will be the same for everyone and my grandson raves about how it drives him from home to his work and back on freeways with interchanges and surface streets without intervening on a daily basis. My dad had maccular degeneration so bad he could hardly drive in the end so I fear that happening to myself and hope FSD will become a viable option if it does.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
6 Months ago, I moved into a new area.

2 right turn lanes, but one was for immediate right(red), and the other(blue) was for a right hand turn 350 feet way over the other side.

They both had the same turn right arrows painted on the ground. No other signs that I could see. I just chose the 'blue' lane and pulled up to the traffic waiting to turn.

The red line started moving, but my lane didn't.

Bottom line,,, it was a badly marked intersection. Traffic was blocking my view of the traffic lights ahead, and there was no indication these 2 turning lanes went to 2 different roads. Just bad luck if you got caught in the wrong lane.

It was dark, raining and glary. I could hardly see the lane guides. I just ended up going with the flow. I literally didn't know where I was ending up !!

It was then I thought... FSD would have avoided this situation.

Tesla Cybertruck First gen cybertruck vs Second gen 1669164821746

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
6 Months ago, I moved into a new area.

2 right turn lanes, but one was for immediate right(red), and the other(blue) was for a right hand turn 350 feet way over the other side.

They both had the same turn right arrows painted on the ground. No other signs that I could see. I just chose the 'blue' lane and pulled up to the traffic waiting to turn.

The red line started moving, but my lane didn't.

Bottom line,,, it was a badly marked intersection. Traffic was blocking my view of the traffic lights ahead, and there was no indication these 2 turning lanes went to 2 different roads. Just bad luck if you got caught in the wrong lane.

It was dark, raining and glary. I could hardly see the lane guides. I just ended up going with the flow. I literally didn't know where I was ending up !!

It was then I thought... FSD would have avoided this situation.

1669164821746.png
Maybe the most screwed up intersection Iā€™ve ever seen. If not the worst, close to it. Itā€™s so crazy all the words are upside-down. Must have been designed by an Australian.

That cannot be efficient.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You cant see from the picture, but we all drive in reverse !!!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How about the addition of Apple Car Play and Android Auto.
Didnā€™t notice this first time though.

There have been indications Apple Music (not CarPlay) will be coming to Teslaā€™s front end soon.

Iā€™ve watched CarPlay over the years and while it is 20x better than any legacy autoā€™s front end and the phone/ car integration is nice, Teslaā€™s UI is also about 20x better and has better integration with the rest of the car which I think is more important.

Though CarPlay would bring support for my favorite podcasting apps and Audibleā€¦

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
As far as I can tell, Apple Carplay sucks, except that it lets you run apps that are actually updated.

But if other automakers make worse than it, that must be a darned low bar.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As far as I can tell, Apple Carplay sucks, except that it lets you run apps that are actually updated.

But if other automakers make worse than it, that must be a darned low bar.

-Crissa
Have you seen what automakers console systems look like?

I havenā€™t used CarPlay, but I have heard a lot of good things about it. Just the fact that it hands off your media transparently between the car and the phone is a big win. Bluetooth works ok, but it would be nice to have some controls on your screen other than skip and play

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Have you seen what automakers console systems look like?

I havenā€™t used CarPlay, but I have heard a lot of good things about it. Just the fact that it hands off your media transparently between the car and the phone is a big win. Bluetooth works ok, but it would be nice to have some controls on your screen other than skip and play
Sure, Lexus and Mazda and they seemed fine. Mom likes carplay, I just use apps on my phone. Carplay looks like Lexus's old platform. I'm not a fan of the infinite scroll-and-click.

-Crissa

Zinc

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator, Tesla Cybertruck order 1 year.
Country flag
Watching all the new EVs roll out with more modern designs like Fisker Ocean for example. I am in hopes that the Cybertruck will be completely remodeled by the time my late 24 delivery date arrives. I watched it go from the really nice rims to the crappy rims it always has now, the ones that look like 90s aftermarket Camaro rims, but thankfully recently read that they were offering upgraded really nice wheels. That outdated Cybertruck look is already an older type look imo. Would really suck if they fall behind in style.
Sponsored