Deleted member 3316

I am still trying to figure out how the midgate is different than the power cover, the air compressor cover, or the under bed storage cover (smuggler compartment as Crissa put it).

Dirt, debris, etc can get in the seals, could be damaged by different loads, and kept from closing (or opening).

How is the midgate that much different?

Or the ramp in the tailgate flap? Since it seems a flap was not good enough for the vault cover opening…
On its own it’s not, but when you combine it with the roll cover being stored underneath it becomes significantly more challenging.
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Well assuming they try to have both a mid-gate and rolling tonneau it is on the floor of the bed, in the corner where everything will slide to on a hard stop.

While it might be possible, both with suffer. Pick a mid-gate or the tonneau that rolls up in the floor. We don't need a half ass solution for both.
I agree, if it was any other car manufacturer I’d say don’t try and please everyone, you’ll end up pleasing no one. With that said, IF there is a way to have both a tonneau cover AND a midgate with out compromise, Tesla would be the company to find it. If there isn’t a way, I personally hope the stick with the tonneau cover.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I agree, if it was any other car manufacturer I’d say don’t try and please everyone, you’ll end up pleasing no one. With that said, IF there is a way to have both a tonneau cover AND a midgate with out compromise, Tesla would be the company to find it. If there isn’t a way, I personally hope the stick with the tonneau cover.
After the shock of the appearance, the price and the magic vault cover were the two biggest surprises/ hits of the evening. It’s important to me. Midgate wasn’t even a thought until after the fact.

Don’t think anything else came close.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A leak into the cabin would be nastier. That is apparently one of the bigger complaints about the Avalanche.
I just read that page and vast majority of those leaks are from the doors, though, not the midgate. (Like, why would the seat belt anchors be exposed to weather? What the heck. O-o )

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I just read that page and vast majority of those leaks are from the doors, though, not the midgate. (Like, why would the seat belt anchors be exposed to weather? What the heck. O-o )
No clue how big an issue it is or would be.

Just pointing out the one significant difference between this seal and the one in the vault floor cover. One might leak inside the cab and the other doesn’t. And I know some Avalanche owners have had issues with it. Haven’t owned one, haven’t researched them so no clue how common it is.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, I'd heard that, too.

But I was just surprised at what were noted as problems.

-Crissa
Gotcha… I didn’t dig into that site too much. To be honest maybe I shouldn’t have linked it. I was a bit surprised when they said it was one of the most common issues with the Avalanche.

I think I mentioned it above, but if there is a rolling vault cover and the midgate (magic!) then the worries over leaks are a lot less. I’m sure there will be some leaks, but not tons of water getting past the rolling cover to start with so it’s like a double seal in this case.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Gotcha… I didn’t dig into that site too much. To be honest maybe I shouldn’t have linked it. I was a bit surprised when they said it was one of the most common issues with the Avalanche.

I think I mentioned it above, but if there is a rolling vault cover and the midgate (magic!) then the worries over leaks are a lot less. I’m sure there will be some leaks, but not tons of water getting past the rolling cover to start with so it’s like a double seal in this case.
Another thing to consider if they try to force a mid-gate and a tonneau cover (assuming the back of the seat is the bed) is not being able to recline. I know the Dodge Mega cab and I think the Ford Supercrew back seats recline a little bit. If the back seat is the bed (or very close to it) I don't see that happening.

I want leak proof, rattle proof, no extra cost and comfortable seats. Only then do I want a mid-gate.

No compromise on the former. Give me a sliding window and call it good.

I know Elon is still kicking himself for the gull wing doors on the X. He probably won't make that mistake on a truck on a budget.

If Tesla can surprise the hell out of me and deliver both, I welcome that as well.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another thing to consider if they try to force a mid-gate and a tonneau cover (assuming the back of the seat is the bed) is not being able to recline. I know the Dodge Mega cab and I think the Ford Supercrew back seats recline a little bit. If the back seat is the bed (or very close to it) I don't see that happening.
Totally agree with you on all bits. But I had to stop quoting right here.

I’m pretty sure the back seat slope is fixed but sloped back. Looking at the way the bed is designed with the rearward sloping front wall I think it’s the recline of those back seats.

I don’t see how the midgate will work. You’ve just got a bunch going on in there. Seat back, rear wall, vault cover… and Midgate? Start stuffing that many conflicting uses and something starts to get compromised.

If Tesla pulls it off and as you suggest doesn’t screw up the rolling cover or the back seat… awesome!

Otherwise I’m a hard pass too.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I want a midgate. I'm always carrying poles and stuff and don't want to have to put them on the roof.

-Crissa
With the very smooth underside and adjustable height there is a real possibility of using underslung, maybe if the transport isn't to far. I have never tried that but somewhere on this site it was meantioned.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Someone asked Elon if we could have a pass-through. He replied 'sure'

It was from that point on we should throw out the original storage design, and re-engineer it to fold over a greater area, maybe flat inside a compartment incorporated on top of the battery pack.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I am holding out hope for a mid gate. The idea of having tracks that are outboard of the mid gate opening would still allow travel from below the floor for the cover. It can be done but it is going to be a delicate dance of movement and hinges.
Sponsored