cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
For highway driving at 70 mph, the CT is about 495 Wh/mile. That is using the AT tires. If you use abetterrouteplanner (ABRP), it's reference consumption is @65 mph. For the CT, I modified it to be 450 Wh/mile @65mph. That matches up to the Out of Spec Reviews highway test very close. From there, I have put in my most common long distance routes to see what life would be like in a CT. I put in a speeding factor of a few mph. I think ABRP for a lot of my routes underestimates driving speed a bit, so I think it is still on the optimistic side of range for certain sections of my rural trips. I assume ABRP is good with it's algorithm for what added payload (not towing) does to the consumption. I have put in my long range trips with and without payload. Interestingly enough, payload doesn't change the consumption more than a couple percent on long trips. I say all this to come to the conclusion that for driving on Texas highways, on most trips, the CT will consume approximately 500 Wh/mi if you are not worried about speed and drive the speed limit plus 4 or 5 mph. That means if you are going to be starting at 90% charge, you hit 15% charge about 175 miles into the trip. To me that 180 to 200 miles is the realistic highway range if you don't want to change driving habits and don't want to hit the top of the battery or bottom of it very often. I'm sure I'll get roasted for saying that, but it seems reasonable considering what we have seen in tests so far and mapping it out on ABRP for various trips.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
you’re not doing it right 🤣

you need to just drive by the outbound lot when there are trucks there. You’ll be within 10 feet of them.
And as your test case, try Austin, TX, city center to Big Bend National Park, out and back, using only SC @

• 5%-50% cap, 85mph
  • 5%-50% cap, 75mph
  • 5%-90% cap, 75mph
  • 5%-90% cap, 65mph

I'll be happy to learn the details of a 5%-50% cap at 75/85mph getstingus there in good order (even on still optimistic views of the CT's efficiency numbers at 75/85mph)
@Woodrick give me an assist here and show me your suggested ABPR for this route?

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
And as your test case, try Austin, TX, city center to Big Bend National Park, out and back, using only SC @
  • 5%-50% cap, 85mph
  • 5%-50% cap, 75mph
  • 5%-90% cap, 75mph
  • 5%-90% cap, 65mph
The tools I have available (free ABRP and ChargeGo kludgy phone app) don't allow for caps like that.

However, your 'out and back' to Big Bend National Park is the KEY problem area in your scenario.

1) ABRP doesn't think my '17 TMX ("LR") will make it.
2) But it does think the CT AWD dual will.
[NOTE: it does have an option for a CT AWD Dual *with* a Range Extender but it is broke making some illogical test (range and changing doesn't even pass the smell test). The internal testing of that was a fail.]

Tesla Model X 2017 - [Look at Fort Stockton first charge - 100%]
Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series Remorse E52h2eP

Cybertruck AWD Dual - [Look at Fort Stockton first charge - 90%]
Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series Remorse nIYpdWi

Last edited:

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
With all of the new info out I wonder how much Tesla will fight people wanting their $1,000 back for FS if they choose to bail out?

AWD CT Costs $113k out the door (may be more depending on your state taxes etc)
AWD CT has about 208 miles of range (AWD with AS Tires)
AWD CT takes about 1-2 hours to charge 10-80% (v2-v3 supercharger)

Vehicle has a ton of cool features like steer by wire, storage options, modular systems in vault.
But the cost/range/charge I think is pretty far from what a lot of us were expecting.

Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series Remorse zimage7121-
Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series Remorse zimage7094-
Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series Remorse zimage7117-

Hopefully Tesla pushes some BIG software updates and drops this early pricing soon

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
With all of the new info out I wonder how much Tesla will fight people wanting their $1,000 back for FS if they choose to bail out?

AWD CT takes about 1-2 hours to charge 10-80% (v2-v3 supercharger)

Vehicle has a ton of cool features like steer by wire, storage options, modular systems in vault.
But the cost/range/charge I think is pretty far from what a lot of us were expecting.

Hopefully Tesla pushes some BIG software updates and drops this early pricing soon
Tesla won't fight you cancelling your order. There has already been at least 1. But you won't get your $1000 back, actually there are some other fees that you won't get back. It's all in the Order Agreement.

(The remainder of the post was BS not worth replying to)

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Question, how many miles will the range extender add?
Based on current numbers being reported about 80-100 miles of range added with range extender.
Sure you might only get 40 extra miles if towing something big, and if your going downhill at 45mph might get you another 150 miles of range, but most people reporting about 500 wh/mile so about 80-100 miles
Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series Remorse zimage7116

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300 mile range for $100k..

Bit painful imo
If it was 300 miles for $100k it would be not great but ok.
In reality........... it is 208mile range for $113k

acey

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
I was speculating on the "normal" price after FS ends

If they ever end lol

I will not be buying a FS

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Remorse comes in many different forms. With the deliveries starting to flow I have a little remorse for not ordering the FS series. I will have to actively exercise my patience and wait😭.

msdg137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
I just got the Foundation invite... I was hoping for a tax deduction not a 30k price hike 😅 but I've waited so long.... My wife can only kill me once... The kids don't need to go to college... I can sell a kidney...

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
300 mile range for $100k..

Bit painful imo
I think the range extender was only $15k, so total MSRP is a little lower, $95k.
I know, only 5% difference.

And that's the reason why Tesla made it optional, it just puts the cost too high if included on all vehicles.
There are really only a very few justifications of it, travelling much over 100 miles one-way into the boonies or towing long distances.
But if you are going into ethe boonies and will be there for multiple days with just a 120V plug, you may be okay without it.
Sponsored