Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
Right now, there are 31 states that require front license plates, yet every single car out there has a super sloppy looking front license plate that is crudely bolted directly into the bumper, or has a cheap plastic frame that looks totally out of place.

I hope Tesla puts some effort into creating a front license plate holder that not only doesn't look out of place, but as a truck owner and former Jeep owner... is potentially part of a modular bumper system.

I'll be happy with just some sort of plate mount that blends in, but most Jeep owners routinely install larger third party bumpers so they can mount wnches and hooks.

With all the cameras, I'm sure a modular bumper system is tricky, but it's something they should consider.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'll be happy with just some sort of plate mount that blends in, but most Jeep owners routinely install larger third party bumpers so they can mount wenches and hooks.
Pretty sure there are laws against mounting wenches anywhere on your car.

Some bolt on bumper options would be cool though. A **winch** is nice in a pinch, particularly with that massive battery.

I'll mount a front plate on my MY right after they pull me over and give me a ticket for it. Likewise on the CT. Or I suppose if I spring for a custom plate.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Some bolt on bumper options would be cool though. A **winch** is nice in a pinch, particularly with that massive battery.

I'll mount a front plate on my MY right after they pull me over and give me a ticket for it. Likewise on the CT. Or I suppose if I spring for a custom plate.
I'd just as soon keep the wench in the car with me and the winch on the front bumper :cool:

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag

Good catch. Mounting wenches only leads to trouble.

The trouble with the license plate is they're likely to drill some ugly holes near the center. I'd love to see a recessed place for it someplace, sort of like the old Corvettes from the 70s. It looked perfectly integrated in the bumpers. People in states that didn't require a front plate used that space for a decorative plate.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
People are almost obsolete anyway. Your CT should come out of Texas with a barcode (Your VIN) in front and back in a aesthetically pleasing fashion that meets federal regulation for readability. Everything else should be handled in relevant databases. When your self-driving CT goes out for a joyride on it's own, a toll road camera can check your tag VIN to see if your registeration is expired and either notify the Robocop down the road or just have Tesla disable your system in 7 days if the problem persist. Your 15 year old rusted unintelligent truck is starting to look a little better right about now, isn't it?

Tesla Cybertruck Front Bumpers + License Plates CT_LP

Last edited:

Zenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
People are almost obsolete anyway. Your CT should come out of Texas with a barcode (Your VIN) in front and back in a aesthetically pleasing fashion that meets federal regulation for readability. Everything else should be handled in relevant databases. When your self-driving CT goes out for a joyride on it's own, a toll road camera can check your tag VIN to see if your registeration is expired and either notify the Robocop down the road or just have Tesla disable your system in 7 days if the problem persist. Your 15 year old rusted unintelligent truck is starting to look a little better right about now, isn't it?
Would be nice, but I would think part of the reason is people have a hard time memorizing a long vin or barcode vs current plates (crime, h&r accidents,…). Cameras aren’t always these, accessed quick enough, angle, reso, …
Then again, some people don’t know their own phone number unless they look it up on their phone…

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I don't have the front plate on my Model 3, but my wife does (she's a goodie two shoes!).

Never had an issue, but I've never been pulled over for anything else either. I've been warned not to go into San Francisco like that as they're fond of hassling people about it.

If forced to do it on the CT, I'll take the wrap option:

https://licenseplatewrap.com

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One of my big gripes about plates is that they are used against you by more than just law enforcement. Companies troll parking lots and create databases of your vehicle location and they turn around and sell that information. It is hugely creepy, like a backup to much of the creepy tracking that happens on your cell phone. This is part of why I don't put a front plate on my car and allow my bike rack to occlude my rear plate much of the time.

They are also ugly.

Zenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
I don't have the front plate on my Model 3, but my wife does (she's a goodie two shoes!).

Never had an issue, but I've never been pulled over for anything else either. I've been warned not to go into San Francisco like that as they're fond of hassling people about it.

If forced to do it on the CT, I'll take the wrap option:

https://licenseplatewrap.com
Nice!
Without a front plate ~1/2” closer to fitting it in a garage