HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Roll over is all about the center of gravity. Teslas have a low center of gravity and that's why it's so fun to watch them try to roll over the model X during testing. I guess we could just make it illegal to raise the center of gravity. Lift kits can be illegal, using tires above a certain size can be illegal, we can definitely make it illegal to carry a canoe on roof racks unless it's aluminium since other canoes are very heavy, those people should just buy a vehicle with a hitch and trailer.

However I don't see how dualies are going to raise the center of gravity, I believe they would lower it since it's literally just putting more weight on the lowest part of the vehicle. You don't need to put a lift kit on to have dualies. Also dualies increase the surface contact with the ground by 50%, so I don't see why they have a higher risk of roll overs in your eyes.

Now if we look at toxic gases. Are you talking just about the fact the process to make those extra tires that someone doesn't need? if so then you are absolutely right. I could also spend the entire night typing and I probably wouldn't even get through half a list of generic products that aren't necessary and would just be cosmetic for vehicles and countless other things that cause pollution. Even just talking about tires, we could look at race cars that go through multiple sets per race, people who just like to go on roadtrips and could use up two sets of tires in the same time as someone with dualies would use up one set with moderate driving.

Now I will point out one actual increased risk with dualies that you didn't point out and that is severe rain conditions. Hydroplaning has a higher chance with more tires and more contact with the road because the surface area that water can get under, especially when it's tires filled with air, is much higher. But at the same time, just because it increases the risk, doesn't mean it'll be higher than a lot of other vehicles. If you get a really lightweight car, you have to be very careful on roads that have a lot of water on them, probbaly moreso than any large heavy truck with dualies.

You just said that it's fortunate that it's legal to mod your truck while explaining why you think that this design is a danger to the driver and everyone else around them.

Now I love freedom of speech and I will never tell someone that they aren't entitled to their opinion. I also love picking apart someones argument and see how they try to defend themselves. Also freedom of speech makes it legal to say what you want, doesn't make it any less rude to completely trash on someones design because you don't like the design of it. It's completely possible to be constructive about it.

My best friend since childhood came to me years ago with a business idea. He put a lot of work into it, it was something he had spent a lot of time researching, but I thought it was a terrible Idea. I didn't call his idea idiotic, I went over ever detail of his business plan to explain to him what I thought was wrong, I let him see it from another perspective, so he could decide for himself that it was idiotic.

What is trashing on someones idea going to solve? people post on her to look for ideas or they post on here to show designs that they found and might purchase in the future. If it's someone is actually planning to build something for the market in the future, the more constructive we are, the better products we will have to choose from.
Just wow! I don't really want to cover all that so I'll just make a few brief points and sign out:

1) No one said dualies increase roll-over risk.
2) Yes, dualies are dumb if they are not necessary to meet the load requirements.
3) Enforcing "no modification" rules would consume police and court time that would be better spent going after burglars, rapists, and other more serious crimes. Education is probably more productive than fines and jail.
4) I think the design is ugly (both from a practical perspective and from an aesthetic perspective) and I want to be clear about that. There is no way to say that effectively without actually saying it.
5) I've explained why I think the design is idiotic because it ignores certain functional principles and shows that someone doesn't understand what makes EV's so viable. Out with the old and in with the new.

Apologies if I was too direct but it's just my opinion and I think that's more than obvious. If you want to tiptoe through the tulips, be my guest, I'll just watch you take dainty and well-measured steps from the sidelines. I just call it how I see it and I explain why I see it that way. No hard feelings, take it or leave it.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Just wow! I don't really want to cover all that so I'll just make a few brief points and sign out:

1) No one said dualies increase roll-over risk.
2) Yes, dualies are dumb if they are not necessary to meet the load requirements.
3) Enforcing "no modification" rules would consume police and court time that would be better spent going after burglars, rapists, and other more serious crimes. Education is probably more productive than fines and jail.
4) I think the design is ugly (both from a practical perspective and from an aesthetic perspective) and I want to be clear about that. There is no way to say that effectively without actually saying it.
5) I've explained why I think the design is idiotic because it ignores certain functional principles and shows that someone doesn't understand what makes EV's so viable. Out with the old and in with the new.
Yes you are correct that no one mentioned that dualies increase roll over, but I gave an example that some people just want dualies, just like some people just want dualies. The entire point of what I was saying was in respect to dualies and you compeletly ignored that, talked about the risks of lift kits, and then concluded that there is no good purpose. You completely sidestepped the stuff about dualies entirely in my response to dualies to talk about something completely different that isn't even featured in the design that started our conversation.

LOTS OF STUFF IS DUMB ON CARS. You can argue that everything is dumb on a car because it's more about perspective. You are saying they aren't serving a purpose so they are dumb. I don't think there is a parking lot in the world that I can go to without finding something on a car that serves no purpose, but some people want those useless things for the appearance. Would the design that is features be sold with dualies required in the purpose? extremely unlikely, they put it in the picture because they probably thought it looked cool.

I'm not suggesting no modification laws, i'm pointing out why it wouldn't be effective in a world where a lift kit on a regular truck isn't going to make it more prone to rollovers compared to lots of vehicles on the raod. But you are talking about the risks of rollover just for these trucks, there are lots of things that increase the risk of rollover, being in a SUV in general (besides in an EV) increases rollover risk. Also Some people actually do have uses for a lifted truck, such as offroading, wading, easier maintenance. I know i've never needed a jack to help repair my friends truck if it didn't require the wheel off.

I'm not saying that you have to find the most calming words to tell someone that you personally don't like their design. But calling it an atrocity, uglier than sin, you point out exactly why it's basically useless and then later realize there are uses when I give examples, and then you say his design is proof they don't know what they are talking about. There is 'well there is no way to say this nicely' and 'I'm going to personally pick this apart any way i can'. I can be an asshole but at least I keep my opinions as opinions and not actively try to be an ass.

Your 5th point is an actual joke. you say you explained why the design is idiotic, but what you actually said is "That thing is an atrocity" "uglier than sin" and then you related it to strutting around like a peacock. At what point did you explain any aspect of the design that you didn't like other than literally the entire thing due to functionality. But there is plenty of functionality to it for people who do more than travel a bit. Hell even some of the things that I do could benefit from that design. If i'm going on a hunting trip, I often take my ATV; between a week supply for myself and my friend, my atv on the bed and his on the trailer behind, the gun case, large coolers for food to take there and storing the meat on the way back. That's just my example and there are tons of things that people who need a work truck could use it for.

Apologies if I was too direct but it's just my opinion and I think that's more than obvious. If you want to tiptoe through the tulips, be my guest, I'll just watch you take dainty and well-measured steps from the sidelines. I just call it how I see it and I explain why I see it that way. No hard feelings, take it or leave it.
Are you trying to prove how immature you are? I'm not going to get frustrated because of some little man who insults peoples ideas in the least constructive way possible is trying to imply that i'm some sensitive person. I'm a good person and I will point out when someone is being an ass. This all started because you wanted someone to feel bad about their design and I just pointed out how hypocritical that is when so many people questioned all Cybertruck fans for liking something that could resemble a doorstop.

Also you are very defensive for someone who just calls it as you see it since I was merely doing the same thing with you, I called you out on it and we could have ended right there.

Also a friend of mine also read our conversations and wanted me to inform you that dual tires on trucks greatly improve control and stability for towing large loads with a pickup. They don't just increase the amount of weight you can put in the back and rarely increase the physical weight that a truck can actually tow, but it can make a huge difference in handling. I fact checked what he told me and clearly neither of us knew about that, but at least I don't pretend that I know stuff when I don't.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Yes you are correct that no one mentioned that dualies increase roll over, but I gave an example that some people just want dualies, just like some people just want dualies. The entire point of what I was saying was in respect to dualies and you compeletly ignored that, talked about the risks of lift kits, and then concluded that there is no good purpose. You completely sidestepped the stuff about dualies entirely in my response to dualies to talk about something completely different that isn't even featured in the design that started our conversation.

LOTS OF STUFF IS DUMB ON CARS. You can argue that everything is dumb on a car because it's more about perspective. You are saying they aren't serving a purpose so they are dumb. I don't think there is a parking lot in the world that I can go to without finding something on a car that serves no purpose, but some people want those useless things for the appearance. Would the design that is features be sold with dualies required in the purpose? extremely unlikely, they put it in the picture because they probably thought it looked cool.

I'm not suggesting no modification laws, i'm pointing out why it wouldn't be effective in a world where a lift kit on a regular truck isn't going to make it more prone to rollovers compared to lots of vehicles on the raod. But you are talking about the risks of rollover just for these trucks, there are lots of things that increase the risk of rollover, being in a SUV in general (besides in an EV) increases rollover risk. Also Some people actually do have uses for a lifted truck, such as offroading, wading, easier maintenance. I know i've never needed a jack to help repair my friends truck if it didn't require the wheel off.

I'm not saying that you have to find the most calming words to tell someone that you personally don't like their design. But calling it an atrocity, uglier than sin, you point out exactly why it's basically useless and then later realize there are uses when I give examples, and then you say his design is proof they don't know what they are talking about. There is 'well there is no way to say this nicely' and 'I'm going to personally pick this apart any way i can'. I can be an asshole but at least I keep my opinions as opinions and not actively try to be an ass.

Your 5th point is an actual joke. you say you explained why the design is idiotic, but what you actually said is "That thing is an atrocity" "uglier than sin" and then you related it to strutting around like a peacock. At what point did you explain any aspect of the design that you didn't like other than literally the entire thing due to functionality. But there is plenty of functionality to it for people who do more than travel a bit. Hell even some of the things that I do could benefit from that design. If i'm going on a hunting trip, I often take my ATV; between a week supply for myself and my friend, my atv on the bed and his on the trailer behind, the gun case, large coolers for food to take there and storing the meat on the way back. That's just my example and there are tons of things that people who need a work truck could use it for.

Are you trying to prove how immature you are? I'm not going to get frustrated because of some little man who insults peoples ideas in the least constructive way possible is trying to imply that i'm some sensitive person. I'm a good person and I will point out when someone is being an ass. This all started because you wanted someone to feel bad about their design and I just pointed out how hypocritical that is when so many people questioned all Cybertruck fans for liking something that could resemble a doorstop.

Also you are very defensive for someone who just calls it as you see it since I was merely doing the same thing with you, I called you out on it and we could have ended right there.

Also a friend of mine also read our conversations and wanted me to inform you that dual tires on trucks greatly improve control and stability for towing large loads with a pickup. They don't just increase the amount of weight you can put in the back and rarely increase the physical weight that a truck can actually tow, but it can make a huge difference in handling. I fact checked what he told me and clearly neither of us knew about that, but at least I don't pretend that I know stuff when I don't.
Hey, no hard feeling just because we disagree, OK?

Deleted member 12457

I liked the simple tubular rack idea. I want to be able to get into the truck bed as well as hauling larger things with the bed open. I replaced my OEM roof rack on a 2013 Tacoma with a Prinsu cab rack then added a modified Prinsu tonneau cover rack to extend it over the truck bed so I could carry a rooftop tent. The rack is about 8-ft long allowing me to easily and safely carry lumber 12-ft long. Haven't tried 16-ft pieces but that would mean only 4-ft on each end not tied down. I build the tonneau cover vertical support out of 1" aluminum tubing. Don't have a welder so everything bolted together. I could see a similar idea using the roof rail mounting brackets (if they are actually there) with simple aluminum brackets using extruded aluminum rails. Lightweight, strong and easy to remove.

As for tires, I upgraded to Toyo Wild Country Trail 4SX because they're 10-ply tires, giving me more stability when hauling rock and dirt. I'm not going to do a ton of off-roading, I just bought this model of Tacoma because it was on the lot and it had upgraded cooling and factory towing. I'd rather have a nice highway tire that won't pop when going off-road and will carry heavy loads once in awhile.

Tesla Cybertruck Full Length Roof-Bed Cargo Rack Concept IMG_3387

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I liked the simple tubular rack idea. I want to be able to get into the truck bed as well as hauling larger things with the bed open. I replaced my OEM roof rack on a 2013 Tacoma with a Prinsu cab rack then added a modified Prinsu tonneau cover rack to extend it over the truck bed so I could carry a rooftop tent. The rack is about 8-ft long allowing me to easily and safely carry lumber 12-ft long. Haven't tried 16-ft pieces but that would mean only 4-ft on each end not tied down. I build the tonneau cover vertical support out of 1" aluminum tubing. Don't have a welder so everything bolted together. I could see a similar idea using the roof rail mounting brackets (if they are actually there) with simple aluminum brackets using extruded aluminum rails. Lightweight, strong and easy to remove.

As for tires, I upgraded to Toyo Wild Country Trail 4SX because they're 10-ply tires, giving me more stability when hauling rock and dirt. I'm not going to do a ton of off-roading, I just bought this model of Tacoma because it was on the lot and it had upgraded cooling and factory towing. I'd rather have a nice highway tire that won't pop when going off-road and will carry heavy loads once in awhile.

IMG_3387.jpeg
I like your rack as far as functionality. I would be worried about when going over an obstacle that the bed can flex one way while the body flexes the other way and put a lot of pressure and strain on the rack, which appears to be mounted to both the body and the bed. Have you encountered any issues related to that?

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
cool. But knock out those black panels for SS, or just no panels and keep the framing. Too different styling of the black panels to the rest of it. Doesn't help those panels have circle cut outs. Circles clash with the polygonal paneling of the rest of the truck as there are literally no circles on the rest of the paneling. Circles are the antithesis of polygons. At least match the shapes if you are going with those cutouts in the panels.

I'd just rock that with the rack and raised secondary flat storage surface.. no sides.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12457

I like your rack as far as functionality. I would be worried about when going over an obstacle that the bed can flex one way while the body flexes the other way and put a lot of pressure and strain on the rack, which appears to be mounted to both the body and the bed. Have you encountered any issues related to that?
I felt the flexing of the cab vs bed which is why I changed how I mounted the rooftop tent. Previously I had six mounting points, four on the back, but now I only have two up front and two in the back. This allows some flexing. The roof rack is made out of 1/4" aluminum so it does flex left to right but could bend front to back. I've had plenty of wood, including plywood, lashed down and so far nothing has broken or cracked.

Hopefully the CT will be stiff front to back and any roof rack won't have this potential problem. I only have the rooftop tent attached when I'm using it and have removed the back half of the roof rack so I can remove the Diamond Back tonneau cover when hauling stuff in the bed. I'd like to have this capability with a CT rack. As I said before, my rack is lightweight, not requiring any help to lift on and off the truck. The rooftop tent is too heavy for one person but I've used kayak/bicycle lift pulleys when I had a garage and now I built a platform in a shed so I can slide it off without too much effort. The CT has to have the ability to easily install and remove a roof rack without requiring a chain hoist or four tall people.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

IMG_3387.jpeg
Looks like it might be tough to bolt that rack into Cybertruck's roof, being glass and all.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I really like the idea of a rack like this that can also drop down to be at the same angle as the sail pillars. if it had a roller on the back it could fold down and almost act like a lumber roll off. And if not roll off then at least the angle would reduce the friction due to gravity and make unloading boards or equipment easier.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Looks like it might be tough to bolt that rack into Cybertruck's roof, being glass and all.
In spite of the name, roof racks don't get bolted to the roof, they get bolted to the frame, just above the door. The Cybertruck definitely has that. Whether they have roof mount attach points or not is a whole other question though.

Deleted member 12457

In spite of the name, roof racks don't get bolted to the roof, they get bolted to the frame, just above the door. The Cybertruck definitely has that. Whether they have roof mount attach points or not is a whole other question though.
Semantics. I know racks attach to the frame, which on the Tacoma is accessed through drip rail. I don't think anyone is actually attaching anything to the sheet metal roof.

I've seen the photos showing what looks like attachment points but until someone at Tesla actually says that's what they are for, I'll wait.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Semantics. I know racks attach to the frame, which on the Tacoma is accessed through drip rail. I don't think anyone is actually attaching anything to the sheet metal roof.
Not semantics at all. I was replying to someone who said it would be tough to bolt it to *glass*, not your post.

I like the rack you posted a lot better for the CT than the one at the top of this thread. It looks a lot more practical and aero.

Lots of renders are based on "Looks Cool" not "Does the job well". The top one falls into the former category. Yours the latter (and yours looks fine too!)

Deleted member 12457

Not semantics at all. I was replying to someone who said it would be tough to bolt it to *glass*, not your post.

I like the rack you posted a lot better for the CT than the one at the top of this thread. It looks a lot more practical and aero.

Lots of renders are based on "Looks Cool" not "Does the job well". The top one falls into the former category. Yours the latter (and yours looks fine too!)
Sorry, my bad. Didn’t see the quoted person.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I realize that, but this particular one in the pic I'm referring to is bolted to the roof (bolted, glued, screwed, tattooed, whatever, but its connected to the roof.
Sponsored