Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I didn’t want to post this on any existing threads because anyone that had posted on there might think I’m talking about them. And while I am actually talking about them here, they don‘t know which them I’m talking about.

Ever since the announcement, there apear to be more and more people piping up and slamming the CT. It’s like they don’t want anyone to buy one. Personally, I don’t care who buys a CT, or an R1T, or a Lightning, or a Silverado, or a Hummer, or whatever they want. But there are a few that have become very vocal about why none of us should buy one. And every post is about what a disaster the CT is, and it has no range at all, and you can’t do this or that, and this seal leaks, and that whatever leaks and it takes 5 days to charge it from 5-10%, and… You know the posts. Some of these people have claimed in past posts they had a single or dual on reservation, but now are crying about not getting 500 miles of range (the dual never was going to) or what a failure the glass is now (barely handles a baseball) or you can’t charge it, while doing 80, using eh vault 240V outlet for welding, and towing a 5th wheel.

I’m far from a fanboy. I’m not even certain I’ll get a CT. But the fake indignation and propaganda is really obvious sometimes. But as they say, haters gonna hate.
Sponsored

JGTESLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Cyberbeast, G Class Mercedes
Country flag
Not the case for everyone, but there is likely a lot of mental justification going on for why people can’t or don’t want to buy the CT. It was all fun to talk about buying one but when the bill came, it seems like a lot of people have crocodile arms.

For others the final specs didn’t meet their needs, so if I were them I’d fade to black and accept Tesla didn’t custom make them a personalized truck. Tesla made this truck and if it doesn’t work for you, go back to the market and keep shopping.

Agree it’s tough seeing people tear something down for silly reasons. This isn’t a mandatory purchase. If it doesn’t meet your needs move on. Life is short and no need to be negative.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
People who have a complaint make more noise than satisfied people.

I am not saying they shouldn't complain... That's life.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Is there a problem with the complaints? I am not deterred from my future purchase, though the range issue is concerning.
I usually go the opposite direction most crowds go, to my benefit or detriment😄

Or is it because you all are holders of TSLA that public opinion is a critical issue?

EDIT: also, the bottom line is Elon did a whole lot of wooing to draw attention to this CT, and now that it’s limitations are coming to light, well you fanboys should expect this.

Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
Human beings seek affirmation. And human beings can rationalize anything they want - any choice, any behavior.

What human beings aren't very good at is seeing and acknowledging bias within themselves. They usually aren't very receptive to hearing something that is contrary to whatever viewpoint they have chosen.

With the Cybertruck, we see both extremes on this forum. Alas.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I’m far from a fanboy. I’m not even certain I’ll get a CT. But the fake indignation and propaganda is really obvious sometimes. But as they say, haters gonna hate.
I agree with everything you say, but with a caveat I have to admit

the entire concept of “haters gonna hate” applies equally to eg the Lightning

the same people/attitudes we’re seeing RE the CyberTruck were equally applied to the eg the Lightning. Eg unfair comparisons, disingenuous framing of data, nitpicking of minor and solvable issues, etc.

And here’s the caveat I have to admit:

The Tesla fanboi’s took all that claptrap, and for 4 years used ad nauseum to propagate equally BS comparisons and FUD.

Karma’s a bitch

I’ll admit no small amount of satisfaction that those fanboi’s are now living and dying by the same sword. Their guts stuffed with crow. Their tears and shouting showing clearly the hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty that was always the source of their last 4 years of FUD, and delusions regarding how Tesla is somehow immune to the realities of physics, market pressures, and regulatory constraints.

So while agree with everything you’re saying, there’s a lot of BS being slung towards the CT, I can’t help but think the CT should be forced to withstand the same scrutiny as any other BEV truck. Even if it’s bullshit scrutiny.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Maybe simple jealousy?

They must be on the forums because they want one.
Or they just get their jollies being a troll.

So much is the same we get in other Tesla forums. There's often a realization of what EVs really can do, both good and bad.

But we have to remember that the Model Y is the best selling car and Tesla has enviable retention rates.

And 99% of those car's owners have never read a forum.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Baseless hate and unwarranted hype are two sides of the same coin. Most come here seeking objective information to try and make a purchase decision. I think its a valid part of the discussion to point out when people are off the rails with magical wishful thinking OR unwarranted hate. Key is to do it in a respectful way and to acknowledge the actual objective facts.

None of us would be here if we were not overall fans of EV trucks. Or fans of EV vehicles in general. Or EV curious. Or Tesla fans. Or Rivian fans. Or Ford fans. Or GM fans. Or maybe Tesla shareholders or speculators.

OP
OP
PilotPete

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I agree with everything you say, but with a caveat I have to admit
the entire concept of “haters gonna hate” applies equally to eg the Lightning

the same people/attitudes we’re seeing RE the CyberTruck were equally applied to the eg the Lightning. Eg unfair comparisons, disingenuous framing of data, nitpicking of minor and solvable issues, etc.
C, you know I always say the same thing, there's a butt for every seat. I agree that some of the fanboys have it coming after throwing shade at the F150. I got no beef with the F150, or the Rivian, or the Chevy, or anything. And I'm in it for all cyber and no truck.

I had a chance last year to buy a BMW BEV from a business associate that owns a dealership. I looked at an i4 M50. I drove a loaner for 2 weeks and on day 1 I thought I was going to buy one. But after driving it, I was convinced I wouldn't be happy with it. Doesn't matter why, but I lost all respect for the car. So, here I am. Every car, mike, plane, scooter, skateboard, whatever, IS a series of compromise decisions. There is no 2 ton pickup, that seats 10, goes 1,000 miles, charges in 2 minutes, can park in a compact spot, handles better than a Porsche, tows 30k#, has a 10' bed, tows (not one) TWO 5th wheels at the same time, and costs $9,990 brand new with a 10 year, unlimited mileage warranty. So you buy the one that compromises in the areas you can compromise, and doesn't in the areas you can't. Really, kinda easy.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
C, you know I always say the same thing, there's a butt for every seat. I agree that some of the fanboys have it coming after throwing shade at the F150. I got no beef with the F150, or the Rivian, or the Chevy, or anything. And I'm in it for all cyber and no truck.

I had a chance last year to buy a BMW BEV from a business associate that owns a dealership. I looked at an i4 M50. I drove a loaner for 2 weeks and on day 1 I thought I was going to buy one. But after driving it, I was convinced I wouldn't be happy with it. Doesn't matter why, but I lost all respect for the car. So, here I am. Every car, mike, plane, scooter, skateboard, whatever, IS a series of compromise decisions. There is no 2 ton pickup, that seats 10, goes 1,00 miles, charges in 2 minutes, can park in a compact spot, handles better than a Porsche, tows 30k#, has a 10' bed, tows (not one) TWO 5th wheels at the same time, and costs $9,990 brand new with a 10 year, unlimited mileage warranty. So you buy the one that compromises in the areas you can compromise, and doesn't in the areas you can't. Really, kinda easy.

only thing I’d suggest here is that you improve your catch phrase

years ago, in my late teens and early 20s, I was a motorcycle mechanic

the shop manager was in his 60s, a former Hells Angel.

when someone (inevitably a Dr, lawyer, etc) would bring in some over-done bagger, he’d pass by a service stall and mutter

there’s an ass for every seat

I think this phrasing better gets the point across 🤣

FirstRLast

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Tesla model 3s and 2 Cybertruck reservations
Occupation
Smart Home Integration
Country flag
I didn’t want to post this on any existing threads because anyone that had posted on there might think I’m talking about them. And while I am actually talking about them here, they don‘t know which them I’m talking about.

Ever since the announcement, there apear to be more and more people piping up and slamming the CT. It’s like they don’t want anyone to buy one. Personally, I don’t care who buys a CT, or an R1T, or a Lightning, or a Silverado, or a Hummer, or whatever they want. But there are a few that have become very vocal about why none of us should buy one. And every post is about what a disaster the CT is, and it has no range at all, and you can’t do this or that, and this seal leaks, and that whatever leaks and it takes 5 days to charge it from 5-10%, and… You know the posts. Some of these people have claimed in past posts they had a single or dual on reservation, but now are crying about not getting 500 miles of range (the dual never was going to) or what a failure the glass is now (barely handles a baseball) or you can’t charge it, while doing 80, using eh vault 240V outlet for welding, and towing a 5th wheel.

I get it. I have had Teslas for a long time now and you kinda get a lot of BS from people who don’t get how great the cars actually are. People saying they wouldn’t drive a go cart or telling me that they catch on fire and explode or sending me every FUD article that they come across. That just comes with it unfortunately. With anything that disrupts the norm. And especially if it corresponded with rise of extreme polarizing views and gotcha headlines getting promoted by the algorithms on the internet. I always point out how crazy it is when it happens to me or my wife. Like if it was a Honda Accord or a LG Washer would my friends and family be sending me emails of why it was a bad purchase… for like 5 years? haha. Of course not.

But I don’t really see that happening here. I see a lot of know it alls and jumping to conclusions haha but that’s just any forum and I’m really just glad to see the passion, even if a little misguided sometimes. Here I think people are just being critical and showing legitimate concern about a very big purchase. If someone just wants a cool car to putt around town with then none of the stuff we discuss here matters all that much. But a lot of people want this truck for specific use cases and are trying to figure out if it will work for them.

My biggest concern is range and charging curve for deep camping trips. So I like to see posts and comments that challenge that or ask questions about it. Some of it is nonsense but mostly I learn something and am more educated for it.

I think once we get past people figuring out if they are going to order one and get to people comparing their experience of having one the posts will get a bit more fun and celebratory. Until then it’s trial by fire haha

Status
Not open for further replies.