Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
I have a Model Y 2021-ish, the one with the heat pump. I get broadband HF noise when accelerating and when turning on the HVAC everything goes to S9. VHF/UHF is clean. Maybe it is due to my poor setup, I have lip-mounts installed on the trunk, probably not the best ground plane, no ground strapping.
Based on what you've described, I'd suspect you're probably getting RFI from your HF rig itself. Better grounding and/or a different antenna topology might help alleviate that. Extraneous RF is more typically a problem in the HF world than VHF/UHF. And there'll be an uptick in those issues as power is raised.

What I can say is that the vehicle itself is almost certainly not the source of RFI. You can test VHF/UHF frequencies with an HT. Or HF frequencies with a simple AM radio. Best of all is to test with a gauss meter... that will give you explicit readings of electromagnetic radiation within the cabin (or wherever else you want to test).

I was unable to find much experiential evidence for how RFI-clean, or not, Teslas were before buying my 2022 Model 3. Rather, what I found were numerous dismissive, anecdotal examples of "heard from a friend" or "I read" complaints about how RFI-dirty Teslas were, usually from obvious EV-haters. So I was prepared for the worst.

I was pleasantly surprised, then, to find my Model 3 to be remarkably free of any kind of RFI coming from the vehicle. You have to get within a very few inches of one of the electric motors to pick up any meaningful radiated products. And that emission diminishes very rapidly as you move away from it. The battery itself emits nothing meaningful.

Best of luck with the continued evolution of your ham radio install. I'm looking forward to doing similar, albeit it'll be awhile before I get my truck.

Keep us posted!

73, Jeff K4EI

QinPhoenix

First Name
Qin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck, Model X,Benz,
Occupation
investor
Country flag
With just 1 watt I was able to reach Japan, China, Russia, Australia, Morocco, Spain and Denmark! Cybetruck makes the perfect ground plane for an antenna! Previous experiences with Model Y were not so good. Cybertruck is def. the quietest electric vehicle, RFI-wise.

I managed to install an HF and a VHF/UHF lip mount antennas on my Cybertruck by removing the aeroflap. Easy install. Still researching a way to route the coax in the cabin but my RG-316 cable just snakes easily through my rear door seal.

I used the Diamond KS-400 (heavy duty, 'super-gainer", lip mount), works like a charm, super stable. Select the 16ft coax option, 6ft is not enough. I used the 3/8x24 for HF and or UHFmounts for the rest.

Antenna: Little Tarheel (500watt capable) for 0-30Mhz, Comet for 144/440Mhz
Radio: IC-705, looking into installing an HF power amp as well.
Battery: floating battery for now, will try a USB-C 'trigger' for 15V, the IC-705 has no problem with 15V PSU, I used it before.

40m band --Not tested yet.
20m band -- S1-2 when truck stopped, S9 when in motion (not usable)
10/11m band -- S1-2 when stopped or in motion, almost no noise. CB radio (11m band) also works very well!.
144/440Mhz -- S1-2 clean, can be used in motion, no problem
NOTE: HVAC puts out a lot of noise on HF but not as much as on Model Y.

Here are some pictures, enjoy!

Ask me any question, I will be glad to help,
'73s

1711660483417-jt.png

1711660515760-7i.png

1711660515760-7i.png

1711660564424-e6.png

1711660564424-e6.png
Is the purpose of installing this antenna on the CT to listen to broadcasts from all over the world?

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
Is the purpose of installing this antenna on the CT to listen to broadcasts from all over the world?
That's possible as well!... "Amateur Radio (ham radio) is a hobby and service that brings people, electronics and communication together". The fun thing is that you can use a lot of power (up to 1500 watts) on shortwave (worldwide), VHF, UHF and microwave bands using voice and digital modes.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Talk and listen. It's something that Amateur Radio operators do all the time.

Kl777yl

First Name
GR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, model X, CT ETA 2 wks
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your setup and pictures look fantastic!

I might get a trailer hitch mount for my Scorpion.

Now I have it mounted on the snow plow mount of my RAM 3500. Kenwood TS-480 (200 W) under the back seat.

https://www.scorpionantennas.com/scorpion-mobile-antenna

Most likely in the CT will use 120V for a 12V P/S. The biggest challenge will be running cables.

Waiting for my VIN. Must be close. I didn't have to renew my trade-in last week, like I have EVERY month! ....or maybe they just forgot about me. THAT I could believe!

W0GJ

Will any CT hams be at the IDXC in Visalia next week? We'll be there, but not in a CT : (

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
Your setup and pictures look fantastic!

I might get a trailer hitch mount for my Scorpion.

Now I have it mounted on the snow plow mount of my RAM 3500. Kenwood TS-480 (200 W) under the back seat.

https://www.scorpionantennas.com/scorpion-mobile-antenna

Most likely in the CT will use 120V for a 12V P/S. The biggest challenge will be running cables.

Waiting for my VIN. Must be close. I didn't have to renew my trade-in last week, like I have EVERY month! ....or maybe they just forgot about me. THAT I could believe!

W0GJ

Will any CT hams be at the IDXC in Visalia next week? We'll be there, but not in a CT : (
The Scorpion will look great on Cybertruck! I might go to IDXC on Saturday, thank you for pointing this out! My tank will be easy to spot in the parking lot. :)

For powering my IC-705, I am using a USB-PD 15V "trigger" cable... At ~2A load I get a ~0.5V drop across the cable. Maximum voltage for IC-705 is 15.8V. For my higher power setup I will use 110V->13.8V power supply with an RM Italy HF amplifier, under the back seats.

Tesla Cybertruck HF, VHF/UHF antenna (for HAM radio) install on my Cybertruck, works really well! 📶 1712037608502-92

View attachment 42107
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0