How best to wire in 12VDC accessories, Like Ham Radio.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
A 5kW 12V AC inverter is pretty big and expensive. The most cost-effective solution may be to have one (or two or 3) lead acid batteries in the truck to have the CCA to run the winch. You can keep them on a trickle charge but need to be really careful about venting them. Aside from the flammability of the gases of the gasses coming out, the corrosive nature over time can be ugly. And these probably need to be classic car batteries, not SLA or others, to be able to get the CCA needed.
I wasn't suggesting getting an inverter, more so that 240V winches would likely have to be used. Which, I realize isn't a thing that exists in this way yet, those are made to be fixed in place in a workshop somewhere. But, with the right kind of mounting plates and length of cable, anything is possible. If the demand is there, one of the offroading winch manufacturers will make it.

There are USB air compressors now and that's what you want to look at. USB-C can put out a fair amount of power. That's what the Cybertruck's charger is expected to be. And of course 120V is available. Just carry a little 3gal compressor and tank with you, so much faster!
The compressor I had in mind draws 26-35A at 12v. That's not in the same universe as usb c at 65w, but would definitely be able to run on 120v if an inverter was used (or it natively ran 120v). This, again, isn't a need that has ever really existed. Where a vehicle has no 12v, but plenty of 120v available. I'm hoping the tesla option has similar power to this one. It takes a lot to fill these big tires even with the ARB twin compressor I'm talking about. But it's also not in the same size class as a 3 gal compressor. It would easily fit under the bed, where a 3 gal compressor is quite large.

For the serious off-roader, I think that I can easily see a vault in the back bed, maybe custom to fit around the spare, to carry things like the batteries and the winch.

Isn't that part of the fun? Making a vehicle your own? There are a number of third-party manufacturers that would probably love to get some ideas of products to make.
Yeah, definitely will be interesting to see what companies start coming up with. Or what people come up with on their own in the meantime due to lack of options at present. I'm definitely no stranger to having to develop things myself due to lack of existing options.

And, to be clear, I'm not knocking the 48v system, it just creates challenges that have to be understood when thinking about adding powered accessories. I probably won't put a winch on my own cybertruck, but maybe some auxiliary lights that don't stick up off of the roof, air compressor, stuff like that.
Sponsored

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
I'd probably go ahead and use a small 12v gel cell or lithium UTV battery. That would isolate the winch voltage from the truck system and not take much room. My UTV winch setup is like that and it is very powerful.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A 5kW 12V AC inverter is pretty big and expensive. The most cost-effective solution may be to have one (or two or 3) lead acid batteries in the truck to have the CCA to run the winch. You can keep them on a trickle charge but need to be really careful about venting them. Aside from the flammability of the gases of the gasses coming out, the corrosive nature over time can be ugly. And these probably need to be classic car batteries, not SLA or others, to be able to get the CCA needed.
There are pre-built LFP packs that emulate the old lead-acid... And while expensive, their prices crashed over the last year.

If anyone is doing battery 12v anything, I'd say look at drop-in LFP replacements that have integrated BMS.

I swapped my car battery to a Dakota Lithium with integrated BMS, heat blanket, and low/high voltage cutoff and it's worked keen, even when I was up in the deep freeze Portland got this year.

You can get them in lots of sizes, more and more. I swapped out an UPS with one - the added BMS and LFP meant I didn't get a Wh upgrade like my car did, but it should last alot longer than any sealed-lead-acid. UL compliant, even.

-Crissa

PS: And it's always good to have 'backup' systems use their own batteries, anyhow.
Sponsored