High Battery Vampire Drain

ModelCYBR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Updated my existing service request for other issues and added this. At least we might get official confirmation this is expected so everyone knows going forward don’t worry about it.
Sponsored

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yup, the same

That it does - every morning my CT uploads 9-25Gb (yup, gigabytes) of something. 17.3 this morning
With a dataset that large, they are likely uploading video streams.

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
My experience being a very early adopter of the Model S is that nobody needs to be making service calls about this and there will not be anything a service center can do about it other than a software update you can get at home anyway once it is released. This is part of being a new model early adopter and will likely get improved gradually with OTA software updates as Tesla nails down vampire drain issues one at a time and improves them as it can.

While it is something you would currently have to add into your calculations for how much to charge for a given scenario right now as an owner, my guess is within about a year this will be notably improved but it will be gradual as each new iteration of the software is released.

That was just my experience FWIW.

Cheers

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
i guess when CT is not on driving mode, it now will actively upload large amount of the saved data to Tesla. For HW4, it is very possible to consume lots of energy for sure.

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
This seems to be normal for CT at the moment. Did you unplug? People were specifically reporting drain if they were plugged in, after it had finished charging.
Yup I can confirm that. Charge to 80% overnight. Ends up at 78% in the am so def a little drain while it’s still plugged in

RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation AWD CT, M3P, MYP
Country flag
I've also noticed high overnight drain, but I almost never leave it plugged in, so it's not just when cabled up. Last night was especially bad, with Tessie data showing 8% lost overnight!
I agree with the speculation that the truck is uploading massive driving data while on wifi and therefore awake all night. Compare the overnight to the daytime on the right side of the plot which shows zero loss over 6+ hours while off wifi with the truck parked at work:
Tesla Cybertruck High Battery Vampire Drain 1000015707

Tesla Cybertruck High Battery Vampire Drain 1000015704

Last edited:

SteelMyHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Would the phantom drain come from the truck sending video data to help neural network with fsd and autopilot development?

I would love to see phantom drain comparison for people that choose to share video and data with tesla and those that dont to see if different.

It seems to me steer by wire is probably the rate limiting step for having autopilot and FSD. Lane-centering and lane changing and autosteer all require knowing what the variable steering ratio is based on vehicle speed and there is no other tesla to base it on. I bet gathering this data may be a source of drain.

rodx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
Same here!! I thought this was so weird. It was plugged in. Stopped charge at 78%. Left on a trip for 5 days. Had around 35%. Sentry mode was off, parked in my garage so no one passing by it anyway.

Nurkbonis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
Country flag
Charged to 80% overnight. Drove two miles earlier today and with phantom drain, I am down to 72%!

Jimbo Ringo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
I've notice that the battery charge on my CT is dropping a lot faster than I experience on my Model Y. Last night I charged to 50% finishing at midnight before going to bed. At 6 AM this morning the SOC was down to 48%, a loss of 1/3 % per hour or approx 0.4 kWh/hour. Sentry Mode is off, as is climate control. It's repeatable. Has anyone experienced high phantom drain on their CT? Just thought I'd ask before I put in a Tesla service request.
Yes, I have noticed the, faster than other Teslas, battery discharge of the CT. It is even faster with the Sentry Mode on. The same was true with our Model 3 back in 2019. Give Tesla a little while. I’m sure they will “tune” the software to lower the drain Just as they did on the Model 3.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
Yes, I have noticed the, faster than other Teslas, battery discharge of the CT. It is even faster with the Sentry Mode on. The same was true with our Model 3 back in 2019. Give Tesla a little while. I’m sure they will “tune” the software to lower the drain Just as they did on the Model 3.
The drain is more significant overnight. During the day I park my CT outside. Maybe it's because the wifi connection is broken?

Atlantian

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 AWD FS Cybertruck, 23 Tesla MX, 23 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
Country flag
Here is what I found:

With sentry mode on I would loose 1.358 miles per hour in range on my Cybertruck while my wife's Model X would only loose 0.397 miles per hour.

With sentry mode off I would loose 0.372 miles per hour in range on my Cybertruck while my wife's Model X would only loose 0.117 miles per hour.

Basically turning off sentry mode drastically reduces the amount of phantom drain. However, the Cybertruck still has 3X the amount of phantom drain over the Model X.

BuzzBasswood

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model X Plaid, 2020 Model Y Performance
Country flag
I always had 2% drain on my 2018 Model X and left it plugged in at night. Then I started leaving our cars unplugged and it stoppped. It’s like the car cant go into proper deep sleep while it is plugged in
Sponsored