Highway Charging While Driving

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
It depends on the frequency. You can stand unharmed next to a FM antenna pumping out megawatts, but a 0.1 megawatt microwave oven will promptly cook you dead.
Yeah I have figured out how it would work after I posted. The minimum frequency would be determined by the capacitance created by the plates on the car and the plates on the ground.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Ironic that we're talking wireless EV charging on a Tesla forum despite the rumour Nikola Tesla had a wirelessly operated EV in the 1930's already?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla_electric_car_hoax

Is it possible Mr.Tesla was before his time with his understanding of wireless power, or that the "wireless hoax" by some alleged scammer was right?

Which is more likely? ;-)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Another thought is, instead of charging from the bottom, would it be possible to charge from the sides where the motors are perpendicular to the charging apparatus, using the motors themselves? T
Well if anything, if you're going to put all this infrastructure in the road, you might as well just propel the vehicle by turning the setup into a linear electric motor, like those maglev trains. No charging required. While you're at it make roads into steel tracks, less rolling resistance and free mechanical FSD.

Wait didn't they do that 200 or so years ago with trains? :p

Wireless charging whilst driving is only for the time poor. A Tesla with FSD doesn't need it, you can just schedule another ride to dswap into...seeing we won't be buying cars soon.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Rather than have more and more posts based on conjecture based on lack of understanding of electro magnetics perhaps it is best to explain how these things do work.

The basis is a coil in parallel with a capacitor forming a resonant circuit. If you really want to understand how the system works you need to understand parallel resonant circuits and you can find info on that in many EE texts and on the web. A resonant circuit is kind of like a swing. The swing stores energy by continuously shuttling it between kinetic and potential energy. The resonant circuit shuttles it between the magnetic field surrounding the coil and the electric field between the 'plates' of the capacitor. Just as you can increase the amplitude of the swinng bu giving it modest pushes as it goes by so can you build up the magnetic and electric fields by adding electrical energy in moderate doses once per cycle. In a series resonant circuit (Tesla coil) you can build tremendous voltage. In a parallel resonant circuit you can build tremendous current and that's the key here. Tremendous current implies tremendous mmf surrounding the coil. Even though the permeability of air is small, the resulting flux can be large.

Energy can be removed from the system by surrounding a bundle of flux lines with a continuous conductor the plane of which is penetrated by the flux lines. That conductor loop can be at some distance from the resonant circuit but the closer it is the more flux lines it entraps and the more energy is removed. If the second coil is a couple of feet away they are pretty spread out and only an only a relatively small number of flux lines can be intercepted but the field strength is sufficient that enough energy can be collected to charge the car. What about all that energy in the lines that are not intercepted? They link the main coil and so when the field collapses the associated energy is returned to the capacitor. The system is quite efficient. The modest "pushes" get transferred to the second coil on the car.

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Rather than have more and more posts based on conjecture based on lack of understanding of electro magnetics perhaps it is best to explain how these things do work.....

Now I regret not following the advice of my college physics teacher dad to take up engineering in college like my brothers instead of a business degree.

Engineering is easier. :p

JRu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, BMW R1200R
Occupation
Gymja Warrior
Country flag
First, I think this will fail and is a publicity stunt. BUT how is this any different than the first roadster a decade ago or William Shatner and Inspiration 4 going to space? Really nothing, they're both a step toward the eventual goal. 20-30 years from now I could certainly see this tech (assuming the magnetic field isn't too strong for people/environment) at least being in key location: bus stops, airports, Robo-taxi parking lots, etc. And this will be pretty cool if it progresses to the point where I can install this at home in my driveway.

You can't look at new tech as what good is it today, but what can we do with it tomorrow

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It depends on the frequency. You can stand unharmed next to a FM antenna pumping out megawatts, but a 0.1 megawatt microwave oven will promptly cook you dead.
Hummm...... crispy critter......when was the last time I had that.....?

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
This I like. Glad I also reserved F150.

Next, contact-less curb charging (heard this before being built in Canada but there appears that there's no new development).

Highway Charging

A 1-mile stretch of road is being built in Detroit that can charge electric cars as they drive — if owners install a special receiver
Grace Kay
Fri, February 4, 2022, 7:28 AM PST

e5f19339d7ec921d6e9581abcf8c6870.jpg

Electreon
  • Electreon Wireless is building a mile-long stretch in Detroit that will charge electric cars as the drive on it.
  • The company said the roadway will be fully functional by 2023 for EVs that install a special receiver.
  • Charging infrastructure poses a major hurdle for electric-vehicle adoption.
A startup is building the first road in the US that will allow modified electric cars to charge as they drive...
This is some F-Zero stuff. Our roads in the U.S. are trash, our government officials can’t seem to keep them in good condition. In California, where it rarely rains and where it doesn’t snow in the most populated areas, the roads are crap, so if we can’t keep roads in ideal sunny places in good shape there’s little chance we would be able to keep a wireless charging road in good shape.

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is some F-Zero stuff. Our roads in the U.S. are trash, our government officials can’t seem to keep them in good condition. In California where it rarely rains and where it doesn’t snow in the most populated areas the roads are crap, so if we can’t keep roads in ideal sunny places in good shape there’s little chance we would be able to keep a wireless charging road in good shape.
agree........crossing into Arizona and driving across the country, it is quite noticeable how the roads differ......except in Louzyanna.......

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
People, let's try and stay focused on ideas that work. Let's keep working on longer range battery tech, faster charging, improving motor tech, etc. Eventually, the tech is going to catch up to the convenience of filling an ICE vehicle, then all these fringes ideas are going to seem bizarre. No one is going to get a discernable benefit from a minute charging, at this point. Isn't it a bit like driving through a cat scanner? Just saying, that's a big electromagnetic field.
I can maybe see it being useful for the emergency shoulder lane in areas where the next charging station is quite far and one is getting pretty low on battery, so one would pull over on the side of the road to charge a bit for an hour to get enough charge to get to the next wired charger. This of course would only be used in emergency situations which is why it would take an hour to get just 40-ish miles worth of charge from such a system because I highly doubt it has efficient charging speed. All of this is of course a very ideal situation and only used for emergencies which is the only time someone would be desperate enough to even want to park for an hour for a measly 40-ish range top off.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
This I like. Glad I also reserved F150.

Next, contact-less curb charging (heard this before being built in Canada but there appears that there's no new development).

Highway Charging

A 1-mile stretch of road is being built in Detroit that can charge electric cars as they drive — if owners install a special receiver
Grace Kay
Fri, February 4, 2022, 7:28 AM PST

e5f19339d7ec921d6e9581abcf8c6870.jpg

Electreon
  • Electreon Wireless is building a mile-long stretch in Detroit that will charge electric cars as the drive on it.
  • The company said the roadway will be fully functional by 2023 for EVs that install a special receiver.
  • Charging infrastructure poses a major hurdle for electric-vehicle adoption.
A startup is building the first road in the US that will allow modified electric cars to charge as they drive...
Extremely wasteful. Induction charging sees efficiency losses in the 30% range when the coils are mm apart. Now they are talking about coils that are 10+ cm apart. If the energy is produced by mostly renewable energy then I guess its not an issue, but still wasteful. If that electricity is produced by fossil fuels which it very likely is and you are losing 30% to 50% in efficiency loss (probably more), Then we are getting into the efficiency range of ICE engines and still producing a similar amount of greenhouse gases.

Its all a discussion of where the energy comes from and could it be used for better purposes. Also, you will probably see warning signs on the road about driving on them with sensitive medical equipment, pacemakers etc., as magnetic frequency induction type charging can mess with such devices.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
First, I think this will fail and is a publicity stunt. BUT how is this any different than the first roadster a decade ago or William Shatner and Inspiration 4 going to space? Really nothing, they're both a step toward the eventual goal. 20-30 years from now I could certainly see this tech (assuming the magnetic field isn't too strong for people/environment) at least being in key location: bus stops, airports, Robo-taxi parking lots, etc. And this will be pretty cool if it progresses to the point where I can install this at home in my driveway.

You can't look at new tech as what good is it today, but what can we do with it tomorrow
You are correct. The home charging solution is where this would be ideal and pretty convenient, you just pull into your garage and no need to plug the car in.

BMW has been working on such a solution for some time now:

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
....so if we can’t keep roads in ideal sunny places in good shape there’s little chance we would be able to keep a wireless charging road in good shape.
Me thinks these companies could just be help maintain the roads to keep their system working and in tip top shape to have their gravy smoothly flowing.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This will be great for when Samurai Goroh cuts you off on Big Blue and slams you into the barrier, but you know you will need to recharge to catch up to him in Mute City.

bbmc.jpg
I love that I’m not the only who remembers this gem. ??

Golden comment tbh
Sponsored