How can the Tri-Motor Cybertruck at $70k possibly be real?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Per the Tri power cybertruck, the electric engines cost ....
These numbers are not supported by Tesla, they are industry estimates (which are often wildly wrong). Just a reminder for others!

2) The value of the US dollar is going down vs cost of metals and material due to the increase of the money supply.
That's not how that works. Demand for the metals is independent of money supply. Having more people with money doesn't mean they want to spend it on metals.

-Crissa
Sponsored

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT trimotor, '21 MY LR AWD 7 seater, '21 M3 LR AWD
Country flag
I agree but still hope Crissa is right. When I first placed my $100 deposit for the CT, I included FSD at $7500. That was the price at the time but now when I look at my reservation in my Tesla account, it shows it at $10k. If anyone that had reserved when FSD was at $7500 could confirm that their reservation still shows it at that price and not $10k, please share.
Mine shows $10k but I plan to cancel unless they honor the $7,500 before purchase.
My reservation is #3500 or so because of trimotor. I should be in the first 10 people in Kansas to get one.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Recently I had this passing thought when thinking of the Plaid+, for a little more, there is the Semi. Down payment is more but look at what you get. That windshield is panoramic and with FSD, it would be very interesting other than the garaging challlenge.

You may have something there. Now I am thinking what to attach it to....

Tesla Cybertruck How can the Tri-Motor Cybertruck at $70k possibly be real? 1617716390524

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've seen something like that at Burning Man. Some people have more money than sense.

?

-Crissa
I have neither but I never let that stop me from being happy ;)

I have always had a burning desire to go to burning man. Was it the experience of life time or a waste of time?

CLAIRE

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Facilities management
Country flag
Maybe the original poster will feel better if by the time it's actually delivered FSD will cost closer to $20,000.00 instead of $10,000.00.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Burning Man is great. Try a regional burn if you want to dip your toes, test your gear.

It's basically a campground where everyone brings entertainment to share. When you attend, you're not an attendee - you're a participant. It's expected that you will handle your food, water, shelter. There is nothing to buy except ice (although now you can also buy blackwater/freshwater service for RVs). And no services except ER and porta-potties.

All camps are rated on how much they adhere to the zero-footprint no-waste philosophy, with the best camps given preferential camp space and the the worst camps being banned from attending. So you really do have to clean up after yourself! Even things as small as glitter will get you dinged (glitter and feathers can get you turned away at the gate) because on the playa, nothing will biodegrade. A couple years I've found MOOP (matter out of place) that was ancient - like, hand forged cart pins encrusted in decades of rust. So it really sticks around.

There's someone holding a rave somewhere at any time; there's art structures sponsored and unsponsored all over to explore; and there's just all sorts of events and parties and corner bars and neighbors to meet and even educational and charity stuff.

What gets you on the map is what you can do. From the people who drove a Hawaiian shaved ice truck out to the playa to serve sno-cones out in the burbs for a few hours every other day to those who just brought some sort of lights or sculpture or experimental habitat.

And of course there's woo, too, of all sorts.

https://burningman.org/culture/philosophical-center/10-principles/

I went because I wanted a safe place to do survival camping/glamping. My spouse likes camping and art. It just... Is magical.

I don't think there will be one this year. But maybe next year.

-Crissa

CyclingFish

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, 3, and soon a Cyberetruck
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
I just can’t wrap my head around how Tesla is going to charge “only” $70k for the tri-motor CT when the refreshed Model S Plaid+ Is going for. $145,000 to start.

They both are going to share the same battery architecture (and have the same 500+ miles of range). They both have air suspension. They both have three motors. They both presumably have the same front screen, AC system, software etc. If anything, the CT has expenses beyond that of the S. Larger tires, More glass, the vault door and mechanism to name a few, not to mention a brand new factory that will need its costs recouped.

I just don’t see how Tesla is going to deliver that truck at less than half the price of what they’re selling the Plaid+ For anytime soon. Especially when the Plaid+ has been pushed out to mid-next year. Either the Tri-Motor CT is going to be the deal o the century, or it’s going to be quite a long ways out before we see it.

What am I missing here? Is there some variable I’m not considering that justifies the difference in price between the two vehicles?
Perhaps a few of the "Bells & Whistles" won't be on the TMCTs. Example auto opening/closing doors?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Burning Man is great. Try a regional burn if you want to dip your toes, test your gear.

It's basically a campground where everyone brings entertainment to share. When you attend, you're not an attendee - you're a participant. It's expected that you will handle your food, water, shelter. There is nothing to buy except ice (although now you can also buy blackwater/freshwater service for RVs). And no services except ER and porta-potties.

All camps are rated on how much they adhere to the zero-footprint no-waste philosophy, with the best camps given preferential camp space and the the worst camps being banned from attending. So you really do have to clean up after yourself! Even things as small as glitter will get you dinged (glitter and feathers can get you turned away at the gate) because on the playa, nothing will biodegrade. A couple years I've found MOOP (matter out of place) that was ancient - like, hand forged cart pins encrusted in decades of rust. So it really sticks around.

There's someone holding a rave somewhere at any time; there's art structures sponsored and unsponsored all over to explore; and there's just all sorts of events and parties and corner bars and neighbors to meet and even educational and charity stuff.

What gets you on the map is what you can do. From the people who drove a Hawaiian shaved ice truck out to the playa to serve sno-cones out in the burbs for a few hours every other day to those who just brought some sort of lights or sculpture or experimental habitat.

And of course there's woo, too, of all sorts.

https://burningman.org/culture/philosophical-center/10-principles/

I went because I wanted a safe place to do survival camping/glamping. My spouse likes camping and art. It just... Is magical.

I don't think there will be one this year. But maybe next year.

-Crissa

My wife wanted to go for her 50th. It got canceled, but we'll get there in a couple years. Before we're really old!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My wife wanted to go for her 50th. It got canceled, but we'll get there in a couple years. Before we're really old!
Like I said, try a regional. They'll probably get to go before Black Rock City comes back. They're alot more approachable. And the weather is usually better ^-^

-Crissa

rob0115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model S LR, 2020 Model Y PUP
Country flag
I never thought I would see these two words in the same sentence: "Only" and "$70K"

When did this happen? I always miss the memo.
I think you misunderstand the context of my comment. I am not dismissing the fact that 76,000 is a lot of money. I am looking at the other proposed options in the Rivian and Hummer and womdering how Tesla is going to be 50,000 less than GMC and 10,000 less than Rivian. So when looking at what BEVs overall cost and what it is proposed that you will get when purchasing a Cybertruck it leaves my question, how can it only be 69,000 (I got FSD for 7,000 based on when I ordered if they honor it)?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you misunderstand the context of my comment. I am not dismissing the fact that 76,000 is a lot of money. I am looking at the other proposed options in the Rivian and Hummer and womdering how Tesla is going to be 50,000 less than GMC and 10,000 less than Rivian. So when looking at what BEVs overall cost and what it is proposed that you will get when purchasing a Cybertruck it leaves my question, how can it only be 69,000 (I got FSD for 7,000 based on when I ordered if they honor it)?
I get what you are saying. That is why I am a reservation holder. However I would not want to hide the fact that a $30K ICE truck is still an option I am considering. It is true that in many ways there is a world of difference between the two and I am not allowed to compare apples and oranges but as far as what a truck most likely will do for me specifically (tow and carry a limited size load from A to B), a $76K CT is competing with a $30K ICE truck. CT is going to sell a lot more than Hummer and $30K trucks are going to sell more than CT3s simply because expensive is in less demand. Granted, my past choices (Vitamix, Dyson, ....) tell me I still may end up with CT but I do consider CT competing in truck market not just in BEV. I believe Elan is looking at it the same way, which is why CT is priced lower than Hummer and Rivian.

My comment was really a cheap old man's gripe, I shouldn't have posted it as reply to yours.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Have you watched any Sandy Munro videos analyzing CT and how he predicts the cost analysis? If you haven’t, it will answer your questions. If you have and still don’t understand it, that is probably because you’ve been so trained by the traditional auto makers in how their costs recaptured.

Fewer options vs. 64+ options per vehicle = less cost
No paint means no pain shop and the $500M cost to build that.
They make most of their stuff in house vs. subcontractors.
Less inventory.
Smart manufacturing.

Watch Sandy’s year down of a Model 3 or Y. This guy is amazed at the brilliant engineering.

If you think it is a bait and switch, then an ICE F-150; buy an expensive Rivian or outrageously expensive HUMMER. I’ll take your place in line.
Sponsored