How can the Tri-Motor Cybertruck at $70k possibly be real?

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree but still hope Crissa is right. When I first placed my $100 deposit for the CT, I included FSD at $7500. That was the price at the time but now when I look at my reservation in my Tesla account, it shows it at $10k. If anyone that had reserved when FSD was at $7500 could confirm that their reservation still shows it at that price and not $10k, please share.
Sponsored

Cyberpartyboy21

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Buick Enclave
Occupation
Soon to be retired
Country flag
Might want to order 2 at that price, in case they change their mind ???

Lascavarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Don’t forget the Plaid+ will have high end brakes, suspension, forged aluminum wheels, expensive tires, not to mention the wide body to fit the larger wheels/tires, perhaps a larger spoiler to name a few things.
Recently I had this passing thought when thinking of the Plaid+, for a little more, there is the Semi. Down payment is more but look at what you get. That windshield is panoramic and with FSD, it would be very interesting other than the garaging challlenge.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Recently I had this passing thought when thinking of the Plaid+, for a little more, there is the Semi. Down payment is more but look at what you get. That windshield is panoramic and with FSD, it would be very interesting other than the garaging challlenge.
And the special license you need and the difficulty fitting in a Starbucks drive through

BryanMorera

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I feel like the error everyone is making in this comparison is the assumption that the price charged is directly related to the cost to produce. This is inaccurate. The price charged is directly related to an assessment of what people will pay ... And that has more to do with exclusivity. Don;t assume, incorrectly, that you are paying for the cost of something based on its true value, you are paying for intrinsic value... Tesla is going to charge what people pay. They are making more in the end because they aren't charging 140,000 for a tri-motor that less than half would order when they are charging half of 140,000 for easily double that number of orders. It is also going to cost them less to produce a Cybertruck eventually. Easier to produce and no paint. Bigger tires don't necessarily cost more, I'll show you my bill for much smaller performance tires if you want to see....

And a sports car or sports sedan is not a truck, in spite of the marketing and what people want to think. It's going to be awesome, but it's not going to replace my Porsche.

OP you should totally understand all this based on also owning a 911...

SS
Couldn't have said it better myself.

At the end of the day, price is determined by supply & demand, as well as status value.

The Plaid+ Roadster is basically a supercar. It is reserved for those who can afford a supercar because the Roadster's purpose was and always has been to show that an all-electric vehicle could be sexy.

The purpose of the CT is completely different. It's purpose is (1) to prove that an electric pickup truck is feasible at the same price point of major-brand pickups (Dodge, Chevy, Ford), and (2) to continue Tesla's mission of an all-electric future by directly competing in the pickup market which constantly dominates the overall vehicle market (Ram, Silverado, and F-150 have taken the top 3 spots for as long as I can remember). Hence, Tesla is forced to price the CT at a price pickup truck owners are willing to pay. I currently, own a Dodge Ram 1500, and as much as I love the CT and can't wait to get it, I would not get a CT at anywhere over $100k, when I have a proven workhorse for less money.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Here is what the actual pre-order agreement says-
The final price will change. There are many options that have been yet to be priced or offered - like the solar vault cover or performance or off road wheels or if towing is standard or an option. The delivery price and taxes and fees have not been specified yet, either.

...it would be a criminal violation in the state of California to do so.
The State of California prohibits changing the price once it has been promised. Tesla has never gone back on a price. And it would be illegal to say that an option was locked in when it wasn't.

-Crissa

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
For one thing, the profit margin on the Plaid Model S will be huge.
Huge.
And that is fine, it will be a low volume car, intended for well heeled buyers.

On the other hand, produced at a much larger volume, the CT can be sold for less....will a much lower profit margin.

donjackson

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S & AWD Cyber Truck, Toyota Sequoia & Tundra
Occupation
Real Estate Investments
Country flag
I just can’t wrap my head around how Tesla is going to charge “only” $70k for the tri-motor CT when the refreshed Model S Plaid+ Is going for. $145,000 to start.

They both are going to share the same battery architecture (and have the same 500+ miles of range). They both have air suspension. They both have three motors. They both presumably have the same front screen, AC system, software etc. If anything, the CT has expenses beyond that of the S. Larger tires, More glass, the vault door and mechanism to name a few, not to mention a brand new factory that will need its costs recouped.

I just don’t see how Tesla is going to deliver that truck at less than half the price of what they’re selling the Plaid+ For anytime soon. Especially when the Plaid+ has been pushed out to mid-next year. Either the Tri-Motor CT is going to be the deal o the century, or it’s going to be quite a long ways out before we see it.

What am I missing here? Is there some variable I’m not considering that justifies the difference in price between the two vehicles?
Damn good point.

checho

First Name
sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB 300SD, MB 240D, Silverado 2003, cybertruck tri-motor on queue, elio on queue.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It's in the volume, the cybertruck tri motor will be massively produced bringing cost down, also it does not have paint which will make the cost even lower not only by not having paint but because it speeds up production, on the other hand the model s plaid+ will be a much lower production vehicle, thus making the cybertruck an excellent purchase.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Couldn't have said it better myself.

At the end of the day, price is determined by supply & demand, as well as status value.

The Plaid+ Roadster is basically a supercar. It is reserved for those who can afford a supercar because the Roadster's purpose was and always has been to show that an all-electric vehicle could be sexy.

The purpose of the CT is completely different. It's purpose is (1) to prove that an electric pickup truck is feasible at the same price point of major-brand pickups (Dodge, Chevy, Ford), and (2) to continue Tesla's mission of an all-electric future by directly competing in the pickup market which constantly dominates the overall vehicle market (Ram, Silverado, and F-150 have taken the top 3 spots for as long as I can remember). Hence, Tesla is forced to price the CT at a price pickup truck owners are willing to pay. I currently, own a Dodge Ram 1500, and as much as I love the CT and can't wait to get it, I would not get a CT at anywhere over $100k, when I have a proven workhorse for less money.
Your comment made me think. Maybe Musk is like the old song. "Anything you can do I can do better".
Here's a video:

cyberpays

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
northviewhomeowner.wixsite.com
Vehicles
CT Duel 69 vette all original(for sale)2019 RAM PU
Occupation
Retire software/life safety sales
Country flag
The Plaid model is to be a high end product to compete with the other high end players in the field with profit margin reward for a performance production. It makes it a big deal at 160K compared to others sport cars in class.
Per the Tri power cybertruck, the electric engines cost Tesla about 850.00 each. The Batteries run about 146.00 per KWatt so 14,600 cost per 100K watt pack. Tri power to use at least 2 100k packs so 29,200 cost there so we have the major cost of motors, batteries of 2,550k and 29,200k at 31,750k. The profit was stated somewhere per car of around 5K so the rest of car build at 33,150k with all above still being the case and take in the Cybertruck easier to manufacture than earlier Tesla products, makes sense at 70k sales price.

Dan Truax

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Tesla Yet
Country flag
70K, I'm not holding my breath.

1) There is no working prototype yet, unless they machined a aluminum mockup of the casting.

2) The value of the US dollar is going down vs cost of metals and material due to the increase of the money supply.

rob0115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model S LR, 2020 Model Y PUP
Country flag
I’m concerned about price. I ordered on reveal day with FSD which is 76k. I don’t know if it’s realistic to think I am only paying 76k. I’m hopeful but I’ll just have to wait and see.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I don’t know if it’s realistic to think I am only paying 76k.

I never thought I would see these two words in the same sentence: "Only" and "$76K"

When did this happen? I always miss the memo.
Sponsored

Last edited: