• Watchers 6

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
And others don't stop as fast as they start:
Am I missing something basic? I can’t see any reason a vehicle cannot decelerate from a given speed as fast or faster than it can accelerate to same speed assuming same parameters (Same road surface/traction, same weight/inertia etc.). Only thing I can think of is brake fade due to brake pad heat, but that would not be a factor in a single instance of going from 60MPH to 0.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
looks like Crissa watched engineering explained

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
I think if it hits around 5000lbs we'll all be happy. Anything under 5,500 is a major win - especially for the Tri.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I think if it hits around 5000lbs we'll all be happy. Anything under 5,500 is a major win - especially for the Tri.
Major win inbound!

Agreed 5,000lbs is beyond unbelievable for a Âľ ton axel rated pickup. My 2door Tahoe 4x4 is 5485lbs. It handles 8,000 lbs. without load levelers.

It’s within the realm of Alien technology if Tesla delivers CT3 curb weight below-5,000 lbs. Its totally possible a lightweight CT3 can trailer pull 14,000 lbs.

BUT too light and 14,000lbs. trailer just pushes a light tow rig through corners. No amount of braking can overcome the centrifugal force. It will be remarkable how CT3 is packaged and trailer brake controller interoperates.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
BUT too light and 14,000lbs. trailer just pushes a light tow rig through corners. No amount of braking can overcome the centrifugal force. It will be remarkable how CT3 is packaged and trailer brake controller interoperates.
Four wheel steering control, traction control, and intelligent braking. Low center of gravity and balanced force on all wheels.

Traditional towing rules don't expect any of these.

-Crissa

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Am I missing something basic? I can’t see any reason a vehicle cannot decelerate from a given speed as fast or faster than it can accelerate to same speed assuming same parameters (Same road surface/traction, same weight/inertia etc.). Only thing I can think of is brake fade due to brake pad heat, but that would not be a factor in a single instance of going from 60MPH to 0.
I regularly watch "The Tesla Plaid Channel" on youTube.
The guy that created it is an experienced race car driver who went from ICE vehicles to Teslas.
He started with a Model Y (I think) and moved up to a Model S Plaid (he has two of them).
He smokes all stock comers like a cheap cigar and a lot of trailered pure drag race cars.
He was almost banned from one track for going 150 through the traps because he didn't have a roll cage and drag chute.
After a few runs his acceleration will decrease as the battery discharges and he has had several instances of brake fade when doing back to back runs.
On the tracks that allow him to run full out he routinely hits 160 MPH in full race mode in the quarter mile.
Watching this channel got me to pondering about what happens when Dad starts letting Jr take the Plaid out for a night on the town.
Now I remember my younger days and a 70 Mercury Comet I had with a 302 4 speed.
Most Friday and Saturday nights were spent at the drag strip and street racing when we thought the cops weren't watching.
I count myself lucky that I never killed myself or someone else.
Giving a high performance car to a young kid or a grown idiot is like handing a monkey a hand grenade.
At some point in time the bodies will start piling up and the call will go out to "do something" about the carnage being inflicted by electric vehicles.
You can take that one to the bank.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It will be remarkable how CT3 is packaged and trailer brake controller interoperates.
I’ve heard somewhere that the braking package on the Teslas only activates trailer brakes when the physical brake pedal is pushed.

I would hope that the Cybertruck would go one step further and recognize any time it’s getting pushed by the trailer and apply trailer brakes too. Seems like something which should be possible.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
It comes down to the different technologies used to maintain traction at the limits of braking vs. acceleration. Braking uses ancient friction and hydraulics technology pulsed by digital traction controls at the limits of traction while acceleration uses electromagnetic propulsion modulated by digital traction controls. While the former has more power at it's disposal and is able to lock up the wheel at will, the latter is more granular and faster to respond than hydraulic valves operating hydraulic cylinders for friction. The result is the motors can modulate power faster and more accurately to keep the tires closer to the limits of traction than the ABS can.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I’ve heard somewhere that the braking package on the Teslas only activates trailer brakes when the physical brake pedal is pushed.

I would hope that the Cybertruck would go one step further and recognize any time it’s getting pushed by the trailer and apply trailer brakes too. Seems like something which should be possible.
I think this needs more exploration before it's declared less optimum than applying friction brakes on the trailer before friction brakes on the tow vehicle are depressed. Obviously, the momentum of the trailer is being transferred to the regen braking on the car which is more efficient than having friction brakes on the trailer do some of the braking when the tow vehicle is regenning. Obviously, if more braking is needed than can be supplied by regen, then the trailer starts using friction braking.

One might think this would be less than ideal in icy conditions until it is realized that anti-lock regen braking technology can detect if any of the tow vehicles wheels are starting to break traction. I imagine, at that point, the regen would automatically back off (to prevent lock-up from occurring) and light trailer braking would be applied instead (in an amount equal to the amount of regen braking reduction due to loss of traction on the tow vehicle).

I have never towed with a Tesla but I can tell you that regen backs off when it is causing the wheels to lose traction (on ice, for example). Be careful when listening to people describing supposed faults with Teslas because there is a literal army of people on-line whose sole job in life seems to be to dissuade people from buying a Tesla and they will say all kinds of crazy things with little to no supporting evidence in order to carry out this mission.
Sponsored

Last edited: