SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I don't think it looks like an eyesore anymore than a normal armrest.
I'm not sure what functionality you gain without the center seat (maybe deeper storage) but I know what functionality you lose.
Regarding the coffee statement; every full-size truck I've been in has additional cup holders that slide out from under the center seat. Yup right where someone sitting in that seat would put their feet, so they just have to straddle it and politely hand your coffee to you as needed...or hold your coffee for you. In either case...not really the driver's concern as your beverage will be available.

One last point on why I prefer having the center seat, and I know this is not a common use, but it is a way I use my truck now. I sleep sideways in the front of the truck during bow season a couple of nights per year. The bed is full of coolers and crap. The back seat of the truck has my bags, bow, boots, etc. I'm 5'11". I can sleep sideways in a full-size truck. I'm not saying I sleep great that way, but it's more convenient that way when running out of the house at the last minute to get a hunt in and not have to set up/tear down a tent in the dark after a couple-hour drive.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The only reason I was looking forward to the middle seat is that the seat back would keep my 80 lb. dog from standing on my arm rest for the entire trip. 😆
Get the dog a proper belt harness or retraining net.

Don't want them flying about if something makes you come to a sudden stop.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
If it doesn't travel in the raised position.... Why is is tapered at the front bottom? If no person can sit there why is the wall protecting the pedals not a solid storage console under the dash?
no proclaiming authority here, instead only explaining a different read of the available photos:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats FF3EF52D-033D-4216-BD53-ED9B20BC1D85
Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats CAD35F5D-BD00-4DD8-A5F7-287D5D765D75
Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 9069EE76-3E09-4768-8D39-54959AA1A28C
Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 432B00D7-70C4-4790-80D8-D3CD73A7E121

Note the floorboard feature is more akin to this:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 48AD11C5-751A-4D83-BE9C-B9BAD644ACA1

If I were trying to guess why they would go with this more open floorboard concept rather than a full stack console like an F150 (for argument’s sake):

• it’s aesthetically more in line with the minimalism we’d exoecr

• it provides a sense of space and airiness (like a coffee table with glass top and spindle legs vs a similarly sized block of wood table)

• it’s otherwise unnecessary, as there is no transmission linkage in that area of the truck (unlike many 1/2 ton trucks with a huge floor console - and as was a head-scratching decision to Lightning owners until realizing Ford was minimizing need of alternate OEM parts)

Or, as I mentioned before, all the above is true but also the design permits of an option to completely replace the front row bucket seats with instead a 40/20/40 bench.

Viewing this truck’s configuration as prohibiting a 6th seat (eg with wide bucket seats, too narrow a console), does not necessitate that there aren’t entirely different front row configurations.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
The width of the front doors seems a key to the seat reduction. Is is just to provide a cushy armrest or does the front need a lot more side impact protection than the back?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The original prototype had a wide center console that could flip up to function as a jumpseat. This wide jumpseat/center console is shown in the first two pictures below:
an even better, more telling, photo of the early 6-seat proto center:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 645CE121-6936-4A37-8C5F-71FAC77BC894

Note that the above width is not only obviously more substantial, but the design has features that - for other reason of form factor besides necessary width - are common to 40/20/40 configurations (as I posted above from Ford, GM, Toyota, Ram):

• it has three cupholders across
• it has a headrest
• it has horizontal division line that runs parallel to the other seats, so that when it opens the jumpseat is at the same level

but to reiterate as much as I’m inclined to say about the 6 seat vs 5 seat kerfuffle:

• the exact “pre-production beta” shown at investor day does not contain a 6th seat, and doesn’t have room to replace the console with a jumpseat

• that does not mean the exact same dimensions truck could not have an option to replace this entire bucket front seat + console configuration instead with a 40/20/40 bench seat configuration

• nor does it mean that this exact “pre production beta” is finalized

That said, it is still interesting and perhaps forecasting to know that at this late stage they’re making whatsoever a Mr least one beta configuration without 6 seats.

And I’d note further that, given the apparent dimensions of the BACK seats, which middle appears as narrow as midsized trucks rather than full sized trucks (see below), that even if they offer an alternative front 40/20/40 bench configuration it suggests that could be a ‘real tight’ fit unless the shoulder width in the front row is significant larger than the rear row (possible given wedge shapes of the truck).

Investor Day CT back seat (which given the visible midline of the middle headrest, one can extrapolate the overall width of the middle seat relative to the full seats):

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 4297807D-9E4D-45FA-B475-28ACE6B2F7E8

compare to eg the Rivian back seat - which is what it looks like to have Hip Room of 54.2 rear and Shoulder Room of 58.9 rear

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 0B619A0E-3F6C-4ED2-9F2E-F074B91BAD98

Compared to the rear of an F150 with Hip Room of 62.6 rear and Shoulder Room of 66 rear

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 4C1E9731-8B39-4082-9B02-47A331D7A39F

to

To my eye, what (admittedly) little we can see of the investor day CT rear seat scale appears far more akin to the Rivian side of the above scale than the F150 side of the scale

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
an even better, more telling, photo of the early 6-seat proto center:

645CE121-6936-4A37-8C5F-71FAC77BC894.jpeg

Note that the above width is not only obviously more substantial, but the design has features that - for other reason of form factor besides necessary width - are common to 40/20/40 configurations (as I posted above from Ford, GM, Toyota, Ram):

• it has three cupholders across
• it has a headrest
• it has horizontal division line that runs parallel to the other seats, so that when it opens the jumpseat is at the same level

but to reiterate as much as I’m inclined to say about the 6 seat vs 5 seat kerfuffle:

• the exact “pre-production beta” shown at investor day does not contain a 6th seat, and doesn’t have room to replace the console with a jumpseat

• that does not mean the exact same dimensions truck could not have an option to replace this entire bucket front seat + console configuration instead with a 40/20/40 bench seat configuration

• nor does it mean that this exact “pre production beta” is finalized

That said, it is still interesting and perhaps forecasting to know that at this late stage they’re making whatsoever a Mr least one beta configuration without 6 seats.

And I’d note further that, given the apparent dimensions of the BACK seats, which middle appears as narrow as midsized trucks rather than full sized trucks (see below), that even if they offer an alternative front 40/20/40 bench configuration it suggests that could be a ‘real tight’ fit unless the shoulder width in the front row is significant larger than the rear row (possible given wedge shapes of the truck).

Investor Day CT back seat (which given the visible midline of the middle headrest, one can extrapolate the overall width of the middle seat relative to the full seats):

4297807D-9E4D-45FA-B475-28ACE6B2F7E8.jpeg

compare to eg the Rivian back seat - which is what it looks like to have Hip Room of 54.2 rear and Shoulder Room of 58.9 rear

0B619A0E-3F6C-4ED2-9F2E-F074B91BAD98.jpeg

Compared to the rear of an F150 with Hip Room of 62.6 rear and Shoulder Room of 66 rear

4C1E9731-8B39-4082-9B02-47A331D7A39F.jpeg

to

To my eye, what (admittedly) little we can see of the investor day CT rear seat scale appears far more akin to the Rivian side of the above scale than the F150 side of the scale
If the Cybertruck is Rivian sized, either its body has gotten super-thick or ... well, its exoskeleton got super-thick.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
If the Cybertruck is Rivian sized, either its body has gotten super-thick or ... well, its exoskeleton got super-thick.

-Crissa
All the above and/or that the geometric nature of the external dimensions causes pinch points in the internal dimensions.

Once you “flatten” the interior for those internal pinch points for interior ergonomic reasons, it causes there to be at least portions of the external envelope that are more spaced out from the interior. Just a cartoon sketch not meant to be convincing but instead directionally point to the idea:

Tesla Cybertruck I ordered a SIX seater, not FIVE seats 7880CB91-A6EC-4C4F-BC48-65AECD305334

In the above pic, the exterior geometry with an apex at the fender flare (red arrow) establishes the reported max vehicle width spec of the vehicle. On paper, let’s say that spec is 80”

But that same exterior geometry - established by a jutting-out portion, can be unrelated to the interior envelope (green line), and the delta (blue arrow) can be significant.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
You know how model y can be 7 seats or 5 seats.... Maybe it's an option.....

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The only reason I was looking forward to the middle seat is that the seat back would keep my 80 lb. dog from standing on my arm rest for the entire trip. 😆
I don't like center console cup holders. My dog is of the opinion that adding drool to the top makes it better.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All the above and/or that the geometric nature of the external dimensions causes pinch points in the internal dimensions.

Once you “flatten” the interior for those internal pinch points for interior ergonomic reasons, it causes there to be at least portions of the external envelope that are more spaced out from the interior. Just a cartoon sketch not meant to be convincing but instead directionally point to the idea:

7880CB91-A6EC-4C4F-BC48-65AECD305334.jpeg

In the above pic, the exterior geometry with an apex at the fender flare (red arrow) establishes the reported max vehicle width spec of the vehicle. On paper, let’s say that spec is 80”

But that same exterior geometry - established by a jutting-out portion, can be unrelated to the interior envelope (green line), and the delta (blue arrow) can be significant.
If the truck is 80" wide, how wide is that Human shoulder?

-Crissa

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Would have to be one hell of a sweet console for me to prefer it over the middle bench seat.
I want to wax nostalgic about my Dads old Ford Fairlane.
Sponsored