Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Personally, I LOVE the single large monitor design. As a regular model 3 driver, and with the way Teslas work, I would never want anything else.

Traditionally, you press the accelerator until you get close to speed, then constantly monitor it as you give it more or less gas. Then cruise control came around, still needed to use the traditional accelerator massaging until just right, then some combination of buttons can keep your speed. NOW, the car just reads the speed limit signs, accelerates, slows, and stops when needed. Even on city streets I VERY RARELY look at the speed at all--I just watch the road. I take over plenty, but re-engaging speed keeping is very easy.

The large screen also lends itself to the safety of replacing mirrors with cameras. Screen size matters a ton. So a big monolithic monitor will go a long way in helping cameras replace mirrors.

A single screen is easy to replace, completely software defined (updates can't change dash buttons), relatively inexpensive when repaired, and positioned in a way that allows all passengers to be a part of the driving experience.

I was not a fan until I started driving a 3 every day. I really hope they continue in this direction!!

Cheers!
Sponsored

Earl52

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota Prius
Occupation
school psychologist
Country flag
I think a small display in front of the steering wheel that can be modified to show what the driver wants want be just a great addition. You want the speed up front, you got it, GPS directions, etc. At present, I will likely have a GPS app on my phone mounted in front of me for easy access.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Personally, I LOVE the single large monitor design. As a regular model 3 driver, and with the way Teslas work, I would never want anything else.

Traditionally, you press the accelerator until you get close to speed, then constantly monitor it as you give it more or less gas. Then cruise control came around, still needed to use the traditional accelerator massaging until just right, then some combination of buttons can keep your speed. NOW, the car just reads the speed limit signs, accelerates, slows, and stops when needed. Even on city streets I VERY RARELY look at the speed at all--I just watch the road. I take over plenty, but re-engaging speed keeping is very easy.

The large screen also lends itself to the safety of replacing mirrors with cameras. Screen size matters a ton. So a big monolithic monitor will go a long way in helping cameras replace mirrors.

A single screen is easy to replace, completely software defined (updates can't change dash buttons), relatively inexpensive when repaired, and positioned in a way that allows all passengers to be a part of the driving experience.

I was not a fan until I started driving a 3 every day. I really hope they continue in this direction!!

Cheers!
But what is the downside of the second monitor behind the steering wheel?

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I think a small display in front of the steering wheel that can be modified to show what the driver wants want be just a great addition. You want the speed up front, you got it, GPS directions, etc. At present, I will likely have a GPS app on my phone mounted in front of me for easy access.
Agreed. I'd even be happy with just gauge or two or three.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I would like to see options here. A modifiable HUD if you wish, placing the speed and tach where you want, charge and battery temp where they make sense; or a display the width of your dash, possibly with a game console for the passenger - bluetoothable direct to the game, and nothing else. But, this should all be selectable in the vehicle's menu. Why not? Cost? But, Elon likes the "cool" factor. This could be really cool. peace

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Thanks, these are all awesome ideas, folks!

I love this idea of mutability. Put your "windows" where you want them, just like on a computer. You want the speed in front of you, drag and drop.

I have never used my phone for GPS since driving a model 3. The Google and Tesla directions are almost always the same. With FSD (no, I'm not a beta member, I WISH THOUGH), I don't have to worry about which off-ramp, when to merge, if I'm breaking the speed limit, if I'm going to slow, if the lane I'm in has some dude going 30 on 70mph freeway, etc. It's not perfect, but I'd much rather have the directions built in to the car. It's the magic of communication. The car knows where you want to go, and you know what the car is about to do at all times.

But what is the downside of the second monitor behind the steering wheel?
None at all! I think this is totally a preference thing. Subjectively, I find that freeing up the dash in front of me has allowed me to stress less about the safety of my passengers and enjoy the scenery. I just enjoy the drive more NOT having anything in front of me. Again, that's completely subjective. Objectively, I don't think there's any problem, just more "stuff" to keep your eye on.

Agreed. I'd even be happy with just gauge or two or three.
I'm going to have to politely and utterly disagree with you here, haha! I see absolutely NO reason to resurrect an analog guage of any kind--with the possible exception of purely style. Gauges do have a certain,.... uh,.... style(?) to them.

I guess what I was trying to get at it is this: I love the feeling of nothing in front of me, knowing the car can handle the little details. If it really needs my eyes, it'll beep at me, but even then I might ignore it if something important is going down. I, personally, LOVE the feeling of just driving. Just me, the steering wheel, and the road and sky. Everything else is programmable. Neither direction is wrong, but one does feel more open and free to me.

As a side note, the Rivian has done exactly what you're talking about. I'm not sure how variable the screens are, but they do give you one right in your face.
Rivian R1T
Tesla Cybertruck I wish Musk would consider this concept rivian-r1t-1122-1500x1000

It's kind of in-between the buttons-galor and the monoscreen ideas. After personal experience with all three, I'd still take the simple monolithic screen as a matter of preference.
Ford F-150 (I THINK this is the 2020 Platinum)
Tesla Cybertruck I wish Musk would consider this concept 2020-ford-f-150

Tesla Cybertruck
Tesla Cybertruck I wish Musk would consider this concept Tesla-Cybertruck-12

Cheers!

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
And here's an example of poor design imo... Again, I am writting subjectively.
Ford F-150 Lightning (EV F-150)
Tesla Cybertruck I wish Musk would consider this concept f150-ev-screen

They've added a physical clicky wheel for the volume adjustment. No problem, makes sense, many people prefer the tactile feeling of those little ridges on their fingertips, fine. But they've added it through the touch screen... WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS. That thing sticking out is going to be the first thing that gets knocked, bumped, or pulled on too hard by some little kid. Replacing an ultra specialized screen with a volume wheel passing through it is going to be SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Many people spend much of their lives in work or with family in the car. What happened to being built tough?!

Sorry, rant over

OP
OP
LDRHAWKE

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks, these are all awesome ideas, folks!

I love this idea of mutability. Put your "windows" where you want them, just like on a computer. You want the speed in front of you, drag and drop.

I have never used my phone for GPS since driving a model 3. The Google and Tesla directions are almost always the same. With FSD (no, I'm not a beta member, I WISH THOUGH), I don't have to worry about which off-ramp, when to merge, if I'm breaking the speed limit, if I'm going to slow, if the lane I'm in has some dude going 30 on 70mph freeway, etc. It's not perfect, but I'd much rather have the directions built in to the car. It's the magic of communication. The car knows where you want to go, and you know what the car is about to do at all times.

None at all! I think this is totally a preference thing. Subjectively, I find that freeing up the dash in front of me has allowed me to stress less about the safety of my passengers and enjoy the scenery. I just enjoy the drive more NOT having anything in front of me. Again, that's completely subjective. Objectively, I don't think there's any problem, just more "stuff" to keep your eye on.

I'm going to have to politely and utterly disagree with you here, haha! I see absolutely NO reason to resurrect an analog guage of any kind--with the possible exception of purely style. Gauges do have a certain,.... uh,.... style(?) to them.

I guess what I was trying to get at it is this: I love the feeling of nothing in front of me, knowing the car can handle the little details. If it really needs my eyes, it'll beep at me, but even then I might ignore it if something important is going down. I, personally, LOVE the feeling of just driving. Just me, the steering wheel, and the road and sky. Everything else is programmable. Neither direction is wrong, but one does feel more open and free to me.

As a side note, the Rivian has done exactly what you're talking about. I'm not sure how variable the screens are, but they do give you one right in your face.
Rivian R1T
rivian-r1t-1122-1500x1000.jpg

It's kind of in-between the buttons-galor and the monoscreen ideas. After personal experience with all three, I'd still take the simple monolithic screen as a matter of preference.
Ford F-150 (I THINK this is the 2020 Platinum)
2020-ford-f-150.jpg

Tesla Cybertruck
Tesla-Cybertruck-12.jpg

Cheers!
“I find that freeing up the dash in front of me has allowed me to stress less about the safety of my passengers and enjoy the scenery. I just enjoy the drive more.”

“ I, personally, LOVE the feeling of just driving. Just me, the steering wheel, and the road and sky.”

You blew the reason of my starting this thread out of the water. The same reason I enjoy riding a motorcycle.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I find it hard to believe that there will be no center screen....thats one thing I like in my Model S....I can get used to the yoke wheel as I flew jets in the Marine Corps; I can get used to the no stalks....but I dont think I will get used to the no center screen....do hope they keep it...

BTW: weren't we supposed to get an update on the CT this past week, or was it an update to the release of the FSD and FSD subscription pricing?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It seems to me that the whole dash area could have had screens with the user able to customize what data appears where. Shouldn't be that complicated and cost isn't likely to be that much more. Allow the driver to decide what he wants to see and where. A simple answer to the whole problem and would promote happier customers.
I am sure that after the initial production starts and after 10 to 20 thousand trucks, we will see some in-line design and changes implemented

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I find it hard to believe that there will be no center screen....thats one thing I like in my Model S....I can get used to the yoke wheel as I flew jets in the Marine Corps; I can get used to the no stalks....but I dont think I will get used to the no center screen....do hope they keep it...

BTW: weren't we supposed to get an update on the CT this past week, or was it an update to the release of the FSD and FSD subscription pricing?
Just wanted to say, thank you for your service! Thank you for keeping us safe and our liberties protected! You rock! I grew up a military brat. My father retired after 20 years of service. He passed away in 17. He had an amazing burial at sea. I miss him very much and appreciate his sacrifice he gave day in and day out to my family and to our Country. I remember when I was a boy how hard it was saying goodbye to him when he had to leave for 6 months, but saying goodbye when he closed his eyes for the last time was seriously tough. I will always hold him and any serviceman and woman close to my heart who is or has served. I lived it. I know how hard it was on him and loved ones. They just don’t make them like they use to sir. Just had to share.
Guess you caught me at the right moment ?. Hope I did not offend.

Have a good night Sir?
happy intruder…. Cool name btw

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's no visual difference to changing your focus and looking over your right arm to changing your focus and looking down through the steering column.

Either way, your eyes are off the road.

-Crissa

PS, I don't care about the instrument cluster. After realizing I was wearing my arms out trying to put the steering wheel where I could see them, I gave up and the wheel now blocks the speed, cruise, and high beam icons. The ones I always care about glancing at.

That my speedo is now reading up to 5% higher than my driving speed is annoying enough so I don't watch it anymore, either. I use the GPS speed on the Navi to my lower right instead.

Last edited:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I gave up and the wheel now blocks the speed, cruise, and high beam icons.
I do the same thing in my car. When I need to look at my speed I look down then reposition my head to look under the top bar of the steering wheel.

It’s kinda funny, from what we know now the CT is fixing that issue twice. Once by moving all that data to the right of the steering wheel, AND getting the steering wheel out of the way by giving it a yoke design. We will now have a perfect view of the empty dash. :)

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I'm also hoping for multiple screens in the CT - similar to the S/X at least. Some things to consider:
- I see CT positioned more as a luxury-adventure truck rather than a work vehicle.
- Single centre screen (3/Y) is better suited for the Robotaxi fleet.
- The argument that CT will only have a single centre screen because of its starting price has always been a strange one - the cost of 2 additional displays and supporting hardware is relatively inexpensive due to scale.
- The image from the centre camera that's integrated into the front bumper would be best displayed on the driver's screen above the yoke when off-roading.
- And finally, who wouldn't want to see this displayed right in front of them, just above the yoke? :love:
Tesla Cybertruck I wish Musk would consider this concept E58v7IpVgAAFoVG?format=

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
While not baked in, DashCommand lets you use the OBD2 port to send PID information to a IOS or Android screen of your choice. Basically you would need a compatible wireless OBD2 dongle and a screen mount and you place it wherever you desire. You can create custom gauge layouts pretty much however you want if you are a bit technically inclined. I have used this app in the past to read specific error codes as well as provide gauges for various needs.

Only pointing this out as a fairly low cost solution what a lot of folks as asking for.

User overview:

It appears to support Tesla vehicles but I have no personal experience myself:
https://www.palmerperformance.com/support/supported_vehicles/index.php

It may not be completely practical for daily use due to powering on devices etc, but it may be situationally useful.
Sponsored

Last edited: