Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The price reduction is to get the Model Y under the IRA rebate threshold. If the government gets it act together and re-classifies the Model Y as an SUV, like it is, then Tesla will likely increase prices. It could be a short-term reduction is what I am trying to say. If you know anyone even remotely interested in a Model Y talk to them 'now'.
Sponsored

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
The price reduction is to get the Model Y under the IRA rebate threshold. If the government gets it act together and re-classifies the Model Y as an SUV, like it is, then Tesla will likely increase prices. It could be a short-term reduction is what I am trying to say. If you know anyone even remotely interested in a Model Y talk to them 'now'.
It's been said many times pricing is way way too high, by Elon.

We got our Y order in, delivery is Tuesday. So, whatever on the prices - personally. BUT.

I don't think they'll rise. in fact, they may drop more later this year. Again, this comes from a dude that threw them an order just 12 hours ago.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I do not even see all the parts needed for a single press, so you must be sniffing something great to see any parts for a second press. They have the 2 stationary platens and the moving platen. They have the 4 lg shafts (in crates) and at least 3 of the hinge pieces. I think they need more (maybe 6?) and they may be hiding somewhere. Then they need about 12 small shafts to mount the hinges to the stationary platens and the moving platen and we only 'see' 1 in the pic though we know there are at least 2 in here somewhere. All the rest is for the foundry. No second unit. That said it 'is' clear that they have a location for a second press.
Weirdly enough, I think Tesla doesnt have to keep all of their Gigapress deliveries in one place.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

We got our Y order in, delivery is Tuesday. So, whatever on the prices - personally. BUT.

I don't think they'll rise. in fact, they may drop more later this year. Again, this comes from a dude that threw them an order just 12 hours ago.
Some people think Tesla is going to try and soak consumers at every opportunity.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Some people think Tesla is going to try and soak consumers at every opportunity.

🤷🏻‍♂️
That's because they can't read ( Tesla mission statement) or listen when people speak ( Elon been saying prices for inputs been coming down, been saying they keep getting more efficient at building cars, been saying 4860 battery is cheaper) but people keep talking about how much money Tesla can make, how they try to maximize profit etc etc but that isn't Tesla mission. At all.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's because they can't read ( Tesla mission statement) or listen when people speak ( Elon been saying prices for inputs been coming down, been saying they keep getting more efficient at building cars, been saying 4860 battery is cheaper) but people keep talking about how much money Tesla can make, how they try to maximize profit etc etc but that isn't Tesla mission. At all.
💯%

High prices don’t even make sense if you wear your Dr. Evil hat.

Folks who doubt that should look up the concept of predatory pricing. Lots and lots of examples of companies squeezing out competition with pricing. Tesla isnt being predatory in the normal sense, Tesla wants to squeeze out ICE vehicles by making EVs so appealing nobody would consider an ICE vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
At this rate we might see some test castings in late Feb. My estimates from last year was rolling test cybertrucks by end of first quarter. Looks to be right on schedule woo!
I forgot to post it, but the Cybertruck casting molds made it from China in early December by the way. Did I tell anyone that? It was like 40k lbs.

MAYBE I can go dig that up..

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I forgot to post it, but the Cybertruck casting molds made it from China in early December by the way. Did I tell anyone that? It was like 40k lbs.

MAYBE I can go dig that up..
Pics nao!?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
9-10 months. It depends on what you consider production. They started receiving gigapress parts in mid January and the the first Model Ys were being built before the end of the year. We saw them driving around in that timeframe.
A big part of the time was digging and installing the temporary gas lines and then redoing that when they plumbed the current gas lines. Then, they also had to build the flues and exhaust system. Most of the groundwork (ha!) for the 9K has already been laid. I suspect we'll be seeing test castings by late March. Since they have the formula for the aluminum figured out for the Model Y, they may have a much better starting point (if they can't use the same aluminum stock they already use for the MY) then when they first started this whole casting exercise.

BLUF: It's going to happen much faster than the Model Y casting setup.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Pics nao!?
Let me see if I can dig it back up. Once so many shipments populate, it knocks off other older shipments.

This is probably the molds we have been seeing chilling in the casting area.

They're READY to roll. I don't know if that's common place to have molds on site before a press even arrives like that.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

They might and that wasn't my point. If they intended to lower their prices they certainly timed it well to go along with the government labeling the MY as a non SUV. That they lowered prices worldwide, to me, is just an elaborate cover for single-fingered salute to the U.S. Government, and certainly in tune with how Elon does things. I was watching today's Electrified a while ago and Dillon presented a laundry list of rationale of how lowering prices might not adversely impact profit margins. I know that Elon has said that Teslas are too expensive, and I expected him to reduce prices when inflation, supply-chain issues, etc., subsided, but not so much that the LRMY would squeak under the $55K IRA rebate threshold. I do not think that is chance at all.
Sponsored