If Quad Motor Cybertruck is $89,900, are you still in?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, when most ordered there were prices listed on the website. You, unfortunately, made an assumption...
Sorry, but no.

You cannot advertise a price and then have another when the customer arrives. No matter how much tiny print they put it.

It has to pass the reasonableness test.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/reasonableness-standard.asp

And no, a $20K increase to above the competition is not reasonable.

-Crissa
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The OP said the Quad, which may or may not be in addition to the Tri. I think it is fair to say that the tri (CT3) if is like the reveal is going to be between $70-75K. If the CT3 is replaced by a Standard Quad and has 500 miles range and 4ws, I think it could be $80-85K If there is Quad Plaid on top of the CT3 or Standard Quad with a significant jump in performance I think they should charge ~ $130k similar to the X/S Plaid. Why not?

I don't think conjecture is anything to get upset over. Tesla is going after the ICE truck market with volume production. We know that based on aggressive pricing at reveal. This has not changed. In order to do that they will need price parity plus reduced operational cost. Tesla will price it right and adjust the price to meet that goal.

For us with stock, would you rather save $10k on your truck or see $2000. Let Tesla figure it out.

We just need to be patient.
Yes

Elon is not shy to prioritise production/product choices to maximise profit.

My point is not to discourage discourse … I, too, think there is scope for a $130,000 plaid souped up model. It is a price point. I do also think there will be a general increase since the unveiling.

At the unveiling, the WOW factor was affordability, This advantage Tesla seemingly had over its competitors, has been eroded month to month here.

I smell a rat. It is gone from ideas and opinions to issues and constraints, and finally to unaffordable.

Not to mention generally. I have felt an increase in run-of-the-mill negativity towards needing or wanting a CT. An increasing opinion to switch.

Gets confusing, because now if you are negative, you undermine !! It's a tough battle.

What would b the odds of competitors not be being here, VRS the odds of competitors being here.

Its real. It is just a piece of work on someone's agenda.

I thought I'd point it out.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You cannot build a EV company on trucks.
Take Rivian
Cost to build Break Even Point (BEP) is over $100,000 for a medium sized EV truck.
but
Very few if any can afford a $100,000 for a EV truck.
Yes
ICE money Makers are trucks,
but
EV money Loosers are trucks

Just because Tesla can make money on sedans will not mean a CT will be money maker.

It looks like EV trucks maybe a money loosing game. Rivian has proved this Ford is proving this GM is finding out EV and trucks are not a good match.
So
EV trucks are going to be closer to $100,000 for BEP.

Again not many buyers will be able to afford $100,000 for a for a second car or work EV Truck.
The commonality of Rivian, GM and Ford losing money on EV trucks is either :

The Truck component
The EV component

Ford and GM have proven they can make money on trucks.

So it remains EV is the problem for them. Was it that hard ?

Tesla is the EV expert, and unlike legacy is proven to make money.

And they can make cars.... but will snuff out the FUD when they make the truck better than anyone else.

Enjoy your time in the sun. !

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
What is "affordable?" Also, are you affiliated with the Hale Marine here in Phoenix?

I talk to people who think an economy car is under $5k, and those who think a Y is inexpensive, while I think that's too expensive. My last pickup cost $57k, totally loaded, but I felt that was borderline expensive. The CT will certainly push that, but I know how to do the math on the gas savings.
40K to 50K is affordable to me. Not interested 80K plus truck. I reserved a Dual CT @ 39K. I know that might seem cheap to some but to me.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You cannot build a EV company on trucks.
Take Rivian
Cost to build Break Even Point (BEP) is over $100,000 for a medium sized EV truck.
but
Very few if any can afford a $100,000 for a EV truck.
Yes
ICE money Makers are trucks,
but
EV money Loosers are trucks

Just because Tesla can make money on sedans will not mean a CT will be money maker.

It looks like EV trucks maybe a money loosing game. Rivian has proved this Ford is proving this GM is finding out EV and trucks are not a good match.
So
EV trucks are going to be closer to $100,000 for BEP.

Again not many buyers will be able to afford $100,000 for a for a second car or work EV Truck.
I read up on Rivian on Wikipedia. With a grain of salt they had 9000 employees and at least a dozen locations spread around the the USA and one in England a year before launch. For the life of me I cannot figure out how you would need more than 500 people to design a vehicle, source materials and launch a vehicle over the course of 6 years. No wonder their break even point is $100,000 per unit.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
40K to 50K is affordable to me. Not interested 80K plus truck. I reserved a Dual CT @ 39K. I know that might seem cheap to some but to me.
At the reveal the single motor was $39k, dual was $49k, tri was $69k

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I read up on Rivian on Wikipedia. With a grain of salt they had 9000 employees and at least a dozen locations spread around the the USA and one in England a year before launch. For the life of me I cannot figure out how you would need more than 500 people to design a vehicle, source materials and launch a vehicle over the course of 6 years. No wonder their break even point is $100,000 per unit.
Rivian has mostly been a tech start up for the last few years. Most tech start ups have a primary valuation metric based on how many people are on the payroll. So yes, they do inflate their staffing to maintain funding at an early stage.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I would bet that our current economic situation stacks up against some of the most turbulent in US history. I imagine that many of us will need to do some final evaluating at the time of order. I don't know about you but my 401k has been taking some 15% swings a little too frequently and it looks like the stock market is in a steady downturn, which I read may last a couple years.

Y'all should check out this article to give yourselves a reality check before dropping $90k on a vehicle. Trucks are used more often than any other vehicle for pleasure driving and they are used much less for their utility than most people think. Is it worth that extra $300/month to be able to make it an extra 150 miles every once and a while when I really could have used it.

For me, I can afford it. But its really a question of if its the best use of my money. Probably not. If I really wanted to show off or wanted to have the top of the line (which I definitely do for my power tools) I might drop $90k on a vehicle, but I don't. I also very much believe that even if I only get 200 miles when towing, we are going to start to see a lot of power assisted trailers as trucks become more popular and I would much rather not carry around an extra 1000ish lbs in battery that I didn't need on a daily basis. Its dual motor all the way for me. I will be super happy to see the dual come in $65k or less.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Many of them are as close to experts in this area as possible and they are probably pretty accurate.
"Possible" means fractional
"Probably" means fractional
"Pretty accurate" means fractional

A funny thing happens when you multiple fractions.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
"Possible" means fractional
"Probably" means fractional
"Pretty accurate" means fractional

A funny thing happens when you multiple fractions.
You're right and you get a future outcome, which no one can predict with 100% accuracy. Just like in this case. But with the internet we can all find "experts" telling us exactly what we want to believe, but in this case only time will tell.

You seem to want to believe the price will stay low and may even be upset to hear contrary opinions. I buy a lot of the same stuff Elon is trying to buy with their cars. Everything is up about 30% on average from before the pandemic. Maybe Elon and the CT will mass production the inflation and material cost escalation away and I hope for both our sakes that he can.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Rivian has mostly been a tech start up for the last few years. Most tech start ups have a primary valuation metric based on how many people are on the payroll. So yes, they do inflate their staffing to maintain funding at an early stage.
Good to know. Very stupid. Less people is better in many scenarios. Less finger pointing.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You're right and you get a future outcome, which no one can predict with 100% accuracy. Just like in this case. But with the internet we can all find "experts" telling us exactly what we want to believe, but in this case only time will tell.

You seem to want to believe the price will stay low and may even be upset to hear contrary opinions. I buy a lot of the same stuff Elon is trying to buy with their cars. Everything is up about 30% on average from before the pandemic. Maybe Elon and the CT will mass production the inflation and material cost escalation away and I hope for both our sakes that he can.
Of course I want it to stay low. Don't we all? Isn't that what is best? The only thing that makes me upset about contrary opinions is when they are stated as a fact when they are not.

I don't actually have a problem with your perfectly proper comment. I just keyed in on all the P words and that thought occurred to me so I promptly posted it.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
69k was for the tri motor. obviously the quad will cost more. and idk what the fuss is about tesla not including the connector anymore. ive had a model 3 for 3 years and havent used it once. everyone in my family (3 people) has teslas too and theyve never used it either. spend the $500 on a wall connector and use supercharging on the road if needed.
My partner has a model 3 and almost exclusively charges it with the mobile connector. We don't own right now, we rent. We have a garage and the last thing we want to do is install a Tesla Wall Charger. I'm going to take delivery of a Model Y in a month or two and I likely won't have a way to charge the car so I will have to borrow the mobile connector from the Model 3. We tried convincing the landlord to install one, even offered to go halves but he refused (idiot).

Not including the mobile connector is ridiculous. Phone manufacturers got away with it because USB and lightning connectors are almost ubiquitous and commoditized, you can't say that for a $200 Tesla mobile connector. It's like selling someone a laptop with no way to charge it other than a very expensive special wall box or going to a Best Buy to plug it in. Instead they should offer a discount if you want to remove it from the car, and even default that as an option. I think it's a transparent way to cover up for a supply issue and was very poorly handled.
Sponsored